ADVERTISEMENT

GALAX @ ESSEX

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
What are some thoughts on this game? I know a lot of people have had Essex picked to go all the way since the beginning of the year. I don't know what kind of offense they run or anything else about them for that matter. I will say Galax is very well coached and they play very physical and I'm hoping they can make that long bus ride and come away with another win.

Essex has been deservedly getting respect from across the state. They have definitely shown via their record that they can play and beat good teams. I am one that thinks Galax may be able to hang with Essex IF they control the pace. I believe this game like the other semi-final game will be very close. I have not seen either in person but to hang with Giles and Glenvar, two of the better 2A teams, shows me they can play. Good luck to both

I really hope no one sleeps on Galax they are an extremely well coached and disciplined team of young men who don't know quit or intimidation. Now don't get me wrong Essex has earned every bit of the talk and respect the are getting but they will not have an easy go of it Saturday Dixon and the TIDE will show up and make it a dog fight. I gotta go Galax-38 Essex-31

Trust me I know nobody at Essex is taking Galax lightly. On film they are very impressive and fundamentally sound and obviously well coached. Aggressive on both sides of the ball and Harris is very impressive as is #44 the fullback and lb among others. It will be another physical game and just like in any big game turnovers and penalties will play a key

I would give the edge to Galax for physicality and just hard nose execution. They are a very solid team. BUT you can't make up for speed, and they are not even on the same planet as Essex when it comes to that. All of Essex's skill players are fast and shifty, and if they can get in open space then Galax will have an extremely hard time keeping them under control. All that is without their best receiver/safety. I hope he can come back, but I don't know if he will this year or not. Galax can wear Essex down, and if they do catch Essex, they will deliver some monster hits. Should be a great game, and I hope Essex is ready for the toughness Galax is bringing. But you can't hit what you can't catch. Essex 35 Galax 21.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Will be playing in a very nice stadium that makes for a great game. King George's stadium is one of the top stadiums in the state. Will Galax travel well?

Hoping Galax plays assignment football and keep that speed contained and lay some big hits when they get to them. Galax has some speed and I think they are faster overall than they appear on film but I seriously doubt they've seen speed like they will face Saturday.

Will be playing in a very nice stadium that makes for a great game. King George's stadium is one of the top stadiums in the state. Will Galax travel well?
Galax usually travels very well but a 5 hour drive one way might hurt the number of people that are able to attend. I've got a ton things going on right now so I might not be able to make the trip which is the only reason I was hoping for a Radford win. It's rare I ever miss a game and it's going to suck if I can't make the trip but it's just the way it is. Safe travels to all who are able to make the trip.

Reactions: OCBoy
Should be a intriguing game indeed.

Galax is a strong team and could present a major challenge to Essex. The Trojans, I am sure, will be well prepared, focused, and respectful their opponent. If not, Galax could pull the upset.

1) Galax is very well coached in Dixon.

2) Excellent line play (not all huge but well positioned and proper techniques and preparation used). They play smart ball.

3) RB Charles Harris has like over 2,900 yards rushing this season alone. Obviously, a major weapon.

4) Galax has another Peoples running back. Some might remember his bro Stephen (people used to debate who was better between him and Dawson from PM). He now plays for VT I believe (and now their new offensive minded Coach from Memphis). The young Peoples is becoming a new star. Good luck to him following such a family tradition.

Should be a great contest. Being on turf will be of great assistance to the victor!

Essex by 10.

Go get 'em Coach Fulks, staff and seniors!

A quick question since I no nothing other than what I read on here about Essex. In the game with Luray, what factors were involved in them keeping it close up until the half? Was it the scheme Luray ran or just poor play by the Trojans? I am not sure how many teams Essex plays that run mostly power run formations. I see a lot of film of them playing against spread is the reason I ask. I know they have tremendous speed and very good size on their line so I am just wondering about match ups.

Luray ran 38 plays in that first half. The first quarter was especially good for them. They got the ball first and put together a solid drive that Essex stopped. They held Essex to a 3 and out and put together their best drive of the game and scored. Essex returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD. Luray had 104 yards in the first quarter but only 89 over the final 3 quarters. Essex has played spread teams and run oriented teams. Sussex Central is known for their vaunted veer offense and Essex completely shut them down last week in the veer to the point they went to the spread mid 2nd and never returned to the veer. Galax will be another smash mouth team. Similar in size to Luray yet from film even more physical and of course they have Harris as well. Should definitely be a good game in my opinion.

I would love to see Galax win this thing...not sure they have what's needed to catch those runners and gunners, but I'll admit I didn't think they'd be here now. If for some reason Galax does win it, (And correct me if I'm wrong) won't that be three state finals appearances in two years (2 soccer and one football). Good athletes rolling through that school!

I realized the golf one after posting, but the others are just more icing on the cake for this group of Maroon Tide Kiddos! I know a few of their coaches and the principal and talking with them it sounds like a well behaved, respectful crew as well.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Don't let the score from last week fool you.... especially the halftime score
Essex usually has one early playoff game that's closer than it should be
This year Luray
Last year Rapphannock
two years ago East Rockingham

After those games they put on a beatdown the following game...... not saying that will happen in this game because we are at the final 4 but I still see Essex as a 2 TD favorite based upon speed and history.

Galax cannot handle the Essex speed, bold prediction by essexsoccer but I see 35-7 Essex. Defensive line from essex is underrated and will play a key role in stopping the run. Hopefully we can have Tim Johnson back this week. Out with a knee injury

I am gonna go ahead and guess like everyone else. Galax wins 35-27. I think the game will be back and forth but I will take the prohibited underdog just for the sake of argument. I picked Essex in my 1A bracket but I just like to be difficult, lol. Good luck to both as I think it will be a great game.

Just messing with y'all haha. Realistically I predict Essex 42 Galax 20.
look at the joining date. Not realistic. Galax is to good of a team for that score. I see long clock gobbling drives from Galax. Essex speed will find the end zone, maybe this will be a special teams kind of day.

Galax is a very good team and I expect it to be a close hard fought game. Other than JM they are the best Essex opponent I've seen film on this year. Fundamentally sound and they play the game the right way. They definitely have the respect of Essex.

I wouldn't be so quick to say Galax hasn't seen the type of speed that Essex will have already. I'm not saying that Essex doesn't have next level speed but they aren't the only team that has that type of speed. Radford has Finley and Grant with many other quick kids Graham has a lightning quick kid not sure of his name. Glanvar has Manns and #7 who are both really quick GW has Christian Allen, Booger Owens, Markell Moss, Holdin Tolley and a lot more and Giles is a team if weapons. It is going to be extremely hard to surprise Galax or any team left.

just checked the record per your statement, Giles, Glenvar, Radford, and Wythe. Those are the only 4 teams that blemish their record. Yes it was the beginning of their season, and most teams get better as the season goes on, maybe they found a way to contain it.

Yes they did get beat by those 4 but those 4 are at the very top of SWVA football this year with Richlands and Union and not 1 of those teams walked over Galax. For an example look at GW we got beat by Radford 55-27 first game and we improved enough to beat them last Saturday. So Galax is just as capable of improving and Coach Dixon will have them ready should be a battle just like in Wytheville. Safe trip to all heading Essex or GW way.

All the talk about Essex speed. From what I've seen, this team has less speed than any of the last 3 years final teams. Not that they aren't fast, but they had multiple burners and don't seem to have that this year. Just my opinion.

All the talk about Essex speed. From what I've seen, this team has less speed than any of the last 3 years final teams. Not that they aren't fast, but they had multiple burners and don't seem to have that this year. Just my opinion.

I would have to agree with that. Essex still has lots of speed, but maybe not the super speed of the last few years, especially 2012-13. That speed was unstoppable at home, but did not win the day at Salem.

Essex has won the last three State Semi games by an average score of 38 to 12. Take from that what you will, my friends. It will be interesting how this one plays out, will Essex be as dominate as it has been? This is the year Essex needs to complete the job...

Speed is a relative term for Essex. No team, IMO, was faster overall moving around the field than them this season. They have faced some faster players, but not many teams fly around like them in 1A. What worries me most is that they are up and down at times. They will play a quarter and look like they can beat anyone, then the next quarter they look they are just going through the motions at times. I would compare them to this year's Ohio State football team, except they didn't win the championship last year. I think they are hungry, so I am expecting to see them play from start to finish. One game at a time guys, but losing can't be an option. Got to give it your all and like uvacav1 said, complete the job!! Good Luck to both teams, and sending prayers to all the players involved.

It will be a good game that's for certain. After digging around a bit more. I honestly do think the travel, environment, pressure to keep the ball, and, yes, speed will factor against Galax. I like em...a lot...but have to truthfully say Essex by ten.

Last edited:
I don't think Essex fans are respecting Galax. SWVA football has nothing to prove to anyone. I believe Galax will show up and give Essex a good game. Best of luck Tide.

There is Essex speed
then there is Juan Thornhill AltaVista speed....

Man that kid was awesome

How many times was Thornhill contained it seemed and about to be sacked for a big loss?

Then you look again, and there was Thornhill with another 20 yard gain....

How did that just happen, again? lol

The loyal Essex posters you see on here as well as local NND & Tidewater District posters are respecting Galax. It's the the new posters who may or may not be Essex posters talking junk.

I don't think Essex fans are respecting Galax. SWVA football has nothing to prove to anyone. I believe Galax will show up and give Essex a good game. Best of luck Tide.

I don't think what your seeing is people being disrespectful as much as it's hard to bet against a team that's been to Salem 3 years in a row. I believe if you take that away it would be more objectionable.

Galax may not be the fastest,biggest,etc.I would bet nobody has put in as much time as this bunch this year. Woodshed hits will happen! So hang on this could be a great game.

Just wondering what comments, fans, or posts are being disrespectful? The other social media posts between these two are great. Essex solicited deals for hotel rooms and discounts for Galax fans at local restaurants, etc. The comment from Essex Soccer was not even a ligit comment, don't take the serious. This will not be a gimme game for either side. I can assure you 110% that the coaches and players are not taking it lightly or being disrespectful in any way!

Galax may not be the fastest,biggest,etc.I would bet nobody has put in as much time as this bunch this year. Woodshed hits will happen! So hang on this could be a great game.
The most important game of the season, not many people picking Essex to win or even be competitive tomorrow. Hopefully Essex can keep up with the more powerful line of Galax

I don't think I've seen anyone say Essex wouldn't be competitive, most have said it would be a good hard fought game and I've seen as many or more say Essex would win. I haven't seen Essex play so all I can go on is what I've read on here and what I've read says Essex is a heck of a football team and might have the edge over Galax. I do know Galax is very well coached and they play very physical so I think it should be a heck of a game if Galax can contain the speed I've read about. I'm going with Galax by a TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT