ADVERTISEMENT

Galax vs Riverheads

Is this coaching retirement likely to stick? Guess I’m asking are they going to let Casto choose his replacement this time?

Is this coaching retirement likely to stick? Guess I’m asking are they going to let Casto choose his replacement this time?
Ye they have been grooming a replacement for a couple years now. I guess you never know if he will come back or not, but it came from a pretty reliable source that Sat is it for him.

Reactions: WP02alum
Ye they have been grooming a replacement for a couple years now. I guess you never know if he will come back or not, but it came from a pretty reliable source that Sat is it for him.
Could he potentially hand the reigns over to his son, Kendall? I know he's already on staff there.

Could he potentially hand the reigns over to his son, Kendall? I know he's already on staff there.
No its probably going to be his son in law who is the JV coach or a former player on the staff Alex Diehl, the DC son is on the staff too, he will probably take over the defense, he has been calling the defense quite a bit this season. When Casto leaves Im sure his two long time assistants will retire too, they left last time and returned when Casto did, havent heard anything official on that, just my opinion.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Wow how tuff would it be to lose the 6 peat and the possibility of the va record and the nations longest win streak in your last game. I am sure they will be just fine but Man that’s a ton of pressure and would suck to go out on that note .

No its probably going to be his son in law who is the JV coach or a former player on the staff Alex Diehl, the DC son is on the staff too, he will probably take over the defense, he has been calling the defense quite a bit this season. When Casto leaves Im sure his two long time assistants will retire too, they left last time and returned when Casto did, havent heard anything official on that, just my opinion.
I'm sure whomever they choose will come from in house this time.

Wow how tuff would it be to lose the 6 peat and the possibility of the va record and the nations longest win streak in your last game. I am sure they will be just fine but Man that’s a ton of pressure and would suck to go out on that note .
Not to mention the team with the longest active winning streak in the nation lost last night so Riverheads is tied for 1st right now and the team they are tied with played their championship game last week so if Riverheads wins Sat they will have the longest active winning streak in the nation, but Casto always says he doesnt worry about that sort of stuff, he leaves that to the fans and the media. I still think that would have to be in the back of your mind somewhere. No pressure here Sat. LOL.

Not to mention the team with the longest active winning streak in the nation lost last night so Riverheads is tied for 1st right now and the team they are tied with played their championship game last week so if Riverheads wins Sat they will have the longest active winning streak in the nation, but Casto always says he doesnt worry about that sort of stuff, he leaves that to the fans and the media. I still think that would have to be in the back of your mind somewhere. No pressure here Sat. LOL.
Rumors, Rumors. Speculation. I can almost assure you the only thing on the mind of a coach this weekend, time of year is the next game, especially a state championship. Maybe he’s made a decision or maybe not. Records, next season, the future successor certainly isn’t. I heard an ole timer say one time, “You will know when it’s time to step aside and walk away.”

This topic has been discussed in the stands quite a lot this season but I am surprised to read all these comments and see that it almost appears to be a done deal. Of course anybody should be able to leave any position on their own terms when they think the time is right, but I would be surprised to find that he would not want to stick around to see that new state record (hopefully) set next season. But as someone just said, he has never been one to care about that sort of thing.

Whatever happens he has put us on the map, nationally not just in Virginia, and we should all be glad for that.

What can we look for in his one ? Anyone ?
I posted this on the other board.

“Galax will be playing the underdog role for sure in this one. RH is a heck of a program that can play with most in 1 through 3 A classifications in my opinion. They are extremely well coached in my opinion we are a four score underdog. RH is that good.
Galax would have to play flawless and get in RH heads a little. Galax has zero to loose and RH has it all to loose, and no one thinks they can win. That let’s them play differently . “

Both are class programs and both are very fundamentally sound teams with some ballers on each side of the ball for a lack of a better term.

The one advantage that Galax doesn’t have this year in Salem that we usually do (for the fans at least) is we won’t get to set in the sun while the RH fans getting chilled in the shade ,lol.

Reactions: Bama1985
To have even a slim shot Galax needs to force at least 2 turnovers...and capitalize on both. And, in turn, commit no turnovers themselves. Play smart on offense with the play calling. 2019 matchup had some questionable offensive play calling before halftime that cost Galax 7 points on a pick 6. And then at the goal line in the 4th quarter there were some head scratching decisions also.

Not a knock on Galax as they're tough as nails. Riverheads is the king until someone knocks them off.

Calling for rain on Saturday as well so we could see more turnovers, hopefully they are wrong on the forecast and it stays dry.

Last edited:
Hoping Galax can do what most say isn't possible and knock off the big red machine, to accomplish that Galax will have to play nearly flawless and have some help from big red but it's hard to say anyone can't be beat so anything is possible. ROLL TIDE and do what they say can't be done.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with Casto on this. Winning streaks are relative to who you play. We can't control that. Im pretty confident he wins his last game because of preparation.

Yeah I agree with Casto on this. Winning streaks are relative to who you play. We can't control that. Im pretty confident he wins his last game because of preparation.
I hope they keep the winning streak going and get number 6 in a row, and I hope he comes back for least 2 more years and see what triple c ends up doing, he has a good shot and breaking all of smileys records, if he leaves so does his other coaches GO BIG RED

About the possibility of rain................they say "showers" which is of course less threatening than a continuous heavy rain. Also it is supposed to be in the 60s, at least during the day, so that might help. But since Salem has artificial turf, that does not get as slippery as natural grass, does it?

Galax is a good bit better than a lot of people on here are giving credit. Their line play on both sides of the ball is special. After watching some film, I personally don’t believe the offense is as dynamic as last season but they are absolutely capable of winning this game. Pretty sure this game stays tight for a while before the eventual winner gets some separation nuts before halftime. Turnovers and weather could factor in if that comes to fruition but both squads are well coached and pass the eye test to be in this game.

About the possibility of rain................they say "showers" which is of course less threatening than a continuous heavy rain. Also it is supposed to be in the 60s, at least during the day, so that might help. But since Salem has artificial turf, that does not get as slippery as natural grass, does it?
Weather Channel is saying rain showers in the morning evolving into a more steady rain in the afternoon....I hope they're wrong and a lot can change in a weather forecast in 5 days so who knows.

I am going to say this. Galax has been told since last season ended that this was their down year and they was only there last year due to Dixon’s left overs. Everyone said they was going to get beat last week. This team has gotten crazy little respect for a team that been in the state semi finals seven straight ones and 3 finals in a row.

I have watched this team play us, GW, Graham ,PM and Holston. And I will say this- this team does not give up easy and plays lights out for it to be their down year. Despite the fact their coach puts them in some crazy bad spots. Like running the same play right behind the left guard 4 times in the goal line last week. They ran one play that was designed to get the edge and get their back in space around the end in the past two weeks and it was a score . It baffles me, lol.

but the game that impressed me the most was their loss to Graham . Missing six starters and held Graham to. 7-0 halftime lead and held the all world Bradshaw to negative yardage the whole game.

RH will win this game in my opinion but Galax will play them extremely tough until the numbers for RH wears them down .

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
Galax kids and coaching staff are definitely to be commended for a great year….. I think it is the least talented team in 10 years but they have good chemistry and play very hard. I think they will have a good showing on Saturday.

I am going to say this. Galax has been told since last season ended that this was their down year and they was only there last year due to Dixon’s left overs. Everyone said they was going to get beat last week. This team has gotten crazy little respect for a team that been in the state semi finals seven straight ones and 3 finals in a row.

I have watched this team play us, GW, Graham ,PM and Holston. And I will say this- this team does not give up easy and plays lights out for it to be their down year. Despite the fact their coach puts them in some crazy bad spots. Like running the same play right behind the left guard 4 times in the goal line last week. They ran one play that was designed to get the edge and get their back in space around the end in the past two weeks and it was a score . It baffles me, lol.

but the game that impressed me the most was their loss to Graham . Missing six starters and held Graham to. 7-0 halftime lead and held the all world Bradshaw to negative yardage the whole game.

RH will win this game in my opinion but Galax will play them extremely tough until the numbers for RH wears them down .
Well if there is any team in 1A that can rise up to the level of Riverheads it has proven to be Galax. It will take a herculean effort but lets see how this plays out.

Good luck to both schools. The gold standards of 1A.

Not sure about everyone here but you only need to look back at the 2015 matchup to see what can happen. Galax had started their season with a loss or two then caught fire and played lights out down the stretch. There were people then talking about how Riverheads would likely roll the Tide. What we ended up with was a quality game that had some very good defense played by both teams and Galax coming away with a well deserved win. I hope they don’t have another LB performance like that year or it could be a repeat of that classic.

Reactions: Bama1985 and TS69
Anyone who has watched Galax that year knew how good they were…… look at teams they lost to. I would argue Galax was more talented than RH in 2015 . They were obviously much stronger physically. That game could have easily been a 28 to 0 win for Galax.

Not sure about everyone here but you only need to look back at the 2015 matchup to see what can happen. Galax had started their season with a loss or two then caught fire and played lights out down the stretch. There were people then talking about how Riverheads would likely roll the Tide. What we ended up with was a quality game that had some very good defense played by both teams and Galax coming away with a well deserved win. I hope they don’t have another LB performance like that year or it could be a repeat of that classic.
Definitely hope Spurlin doesnt come back.LOL

Dixon obviously did an outstanding job but the constant is the kids.....Current Galax Staff has done a really good job sustaining success which is not alway an easy thing to do

Not that I wish anything bad on my boys, but the two games played in Salem between the two have gone right down to the wire, whereas the games played on the two home fields were both Riverheads runaways. One might interpret that to mean that Galax feels comfortable in Salem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT