ADVERTISEMENT

Galax wins first state title

Sep 8, 2015
Crazy ending, Riverheads drives length of field under a minute, scores on 4th and 8, goes for two for the win and pass falls incomplete. What a great game. Congrats to both teams on a successful season. Riverheads such a class act.

Reactions: Bama1985
What a GUTSY call by Riverheads to go for the 2 point conversion and the win with no time left on the clock!

The last few seconds of that game was hectic - lot for 16, 17 and 18 year old kids to have to deal with, when you think about it - score with no time - go for 2 points - everything on the line.

People will question that call. Had all the mo plus they had success throwing it that drive. I would like to think I would make the same call. Play to win as opposed to not to lose..

I would have kicked FG, but Casto is a great coach so I can't second guess him

Galax dominated the line of scrimmage for most of the day and Riverheads still hung around to the very end. Hard fought game but I do think the better team prevailed today.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Congrats to Galax as I have never seen our offense bottled up like that and that includes against Giles and Gretna in the last few years . Helluva game and as for the call at the end to go for two, that was our only shot really. Harris and company would most likely have scored a TD IN OT AND I am not sure we could have. Entertaining if you enjoy D which I do so again hats off and enjoy your victory as it was deserved for sure.

This is Casto's moto. A few years ago he went for it against us in a playoff game and didn't make it. I know of three times it ended his season, but I wonder how many times he came out being correct? I know from his program that he has built, he stands behind what he believes. You are the hero or you lose. There is no second guessing in my opinion. He second guessed himself 20 years ago and it looks like he made a decision he will stand by. I guarantee he has won some games like that in the past and will no doubt win many more.

Now to the game which I listened to wishing now I would have made the trip, sounded like a real slug fest and I would have loved to see the kid from Galax play. Shutting down Riverheads offense is an accomplishment outside of your title. Grats to Galax on a job well done. Grats to Riverheads who once again proved that year in and year out you will contend for titles no matter what kids are playing.

I know it will happen with social media, but I hope everyone, mainly the people from Wilson remember the pain our kids felt last year and do not respond in the same way that was responded to us. That still stings. These are teenage kids who just played in what is probably the most important thing in their young lives to this point.They should be very proud of what they have done. Riverheads will be a force again next year.

The oline and dline for Galax was difference, but player of the game has to go to Spurlin #44, bet he had 20 stops on defense today and a crucial stop on 4th and two that prevented a score late in 4th. In my opinion Spurlin is 1A defensive player of year and Harris 1A offensive player of year.

WilsonFootball, the Harris kid is very good no doubt but the line is the key with them. If someone is not talking to a couple of them it's a travesty. It was like looking in a mirror but the reflection was just that much better. It was a great game where Galax out Riverheads us. They controlled the clock and line of scrimmage extrodinarily well. Great game plan by Dixon and staff as they really did their homework. All due respect to the players as well because they certainly executed almost flawlessly.

Wow, Redpride sounds like they do things the right way. As we all know, the old saying is the game is won in the trenches, and sounds like you got out trenched? That never happens so they must have some really good linemen. You guys are so fundamentally sound, sounds like they have the same type of team. Great season Redpride even with the outcome. To lose Ben in the first game his senior year and still do what you guys did is special. I felt terrible for him because is he is a great kid. Not many people know outside of our area you did what you did without the best back in our area if not 1A or 2A. Much respect.

You are right RedPrideNation. That was an amazing display. Never thought anyone would dominate you guys on the line like that. Great game by both teams. This definitely shows you never can count a team out until there really out. Congratulations Galaxs you were the better team and you proved it were it counts. On the field.

Stunning. I honestly did not realize just how good Galax was until today. You have to be good to beat Riverheads. But to hold them to 6 points? Wow. To shut down their run game and force them to throw it?? Unbelievable.

Props to both schools on a game well played. And congratulations to the Maroon Tide for getting a football title to go along with that futbol title from last year.

The call to go for 2 was the right call IMO. Riverheads had all the momentum and we've grown very accustomed to seeing the Gladiators pick up a few yards with the greatest of ease. Casto put his faith in his team and let the chips fall where they may.

Stunning. I honestly did not realize just how good Galax was until today. You have to be good to beat Riverheads. But to hold them to 6 points? Wow. To shut down their run game and force them to throw it?? Unbelievable

Props to both schools on a game well played. And congratulations to the Maroon Tide for getting a football title to go along with that futbol title from last year.

The call to go for 2 was the right call IMO. Riverheads had all the momentum and we've grown very accustomed to seeing the Gladiators pick up a few yards with the greatest of ease. Casto put his faith in his team and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree people will question the call to go for 2 but Riverheads have proven they can get those points more often then not. Would sending it into OT made a difference? I don't think so Galax had controlled the tempo of the game most of the day. One heck of a ballgame played by the two best teams in the division. Congrats to Riverheads for a great season and Galax for getting your first championship in football.

CONGRATS goes out to galax, a very hard game fought game by the gladiators, but came up 3 yards and 2 points short, first time I had seen galax play and they were the real deal, been a long time that riverheads was held to 1 td, so hats go off to galax on there first title, harris is a great rb, and number 44 was on every play and every tackle, that guy was on beast mode, so both teams left it all out on the field, rhs has 12 seniors, so they will just have to rebuild like they do every year, great season riverheads, most teams would like to have been 13-1 and to have given up only 27 points in 4 playoff games

I believe if the game had gone to OT, galax still would have won. I think going for 2 was the only shot for riverheads. I was surprised at how galax shut down the run game and how they moved the ball on offense. I enjoyed seeing the smashmouth style that they play with. The final score isnt indicative of how much better galax was than riverheads today, as they pretty much controlled the whole game, but were impacted by silly penalties and turnovers, along with the qb sneak instead of letting your monster back pick up the first down on 4 and 1. Great game and great season to both teams, i truly did not think galax had a chance in this one and they proved me wrong, which i enjoy seeing from high school teams that i underestimate

Reactions: naildriver91
As usual, I am doing my posting late at night. Everybody else has pretty much hit the highlights so I will just say it was an awesome game in a great atmosphere in the most incredible weather you could ask for in mid-December. The key obviously was Galax's defense. Coach Casto has often been quoted as saying "if you can stop us, you can beat us" and today the Tide did just that. I have not seen anybody stop Riverheads' running game that completely in a long time.

I like to move around during the games, and this time I was in a great position to see the drive that Galax had down to about the three yard line in the third quarter. Once Riverheads stopped them, the Gladiators then drove about 93 yards themselves (highlighted by the big burst by Miller) and ended up being stopped at almost the exact same place on the field. I then also had a great vantage point of the juggling pass that Smith hauled in. That was one of those plays they would have shown you over and over on TV!

I would have to agree with what seems to be the majority opinion on the two-point conversion. Galax had been controlling the line the entire game, and in an overtime situation, the smart money would have been on them. One thing is for sure.....if Riverheads had been able to pull out the win, it certainly would have gone down as the greatest moment in school history, but that is the way the cookie crumbles. I heard on the news that two other games today went into overtime, so this was apparently the day for fantastic finishes.

Congrats to the Tide, as they were a team of destiny and they deserved the win today. The Gladiators will surely be strong again next year but for now "Are you ready for some basketball??????????"

Hmmmm....(Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily does it?) Anyway, RHS is not wasting any time as our first game is this Thursday at Parry McCluer, followed by the home opener against Buffalo Gap Friday night.

You would have kicked a field goal instead of a TD? Are you nuts?
Yes I would have, instead of going for 2, not sure where the TD came from in post, Congratulations to both teams. Galax beat both front runners imo, very impressive

The oline and dline for Galax was difference, but player of the game has to go to Spurlin #44, bet he had 20 stops on defense today and a crucial stop on 4th and two that prevented a score late in 4th. In my opinion Spurlin is 1A defensive player of year and Harris 1A offensive player of year.
44 has a motor and went both ways...as for Harris. ..he was not as good as I watched earlier this year...something was not 100%...why in the world take him out at the 5 yrds line...galax scores if he stays in...instead it left the door open and almost bit them...sit beside a former galax coach and player...everyone was nervous

Congrats to Galax , They were bigger, stronger and the better team on Saturday , Riverheads just lucky to have a chance at the end . Great coaching on both sides ! If Riverheads wins this game they steal it from the better team . Hats off to boys in Red , great season , great bunch of kids with a lot of class . Thanks for giving us fans so many proud moments this season . Keep your heads up and set your sights high .
Should VT look at someone , that person should be Coach Dixon . First time any one has shut down the Red Team a long time . Galax is lucky to have him .
Looking forward to next year ! GO BIG RED

Reactions: MT FAN 91
44 has a motor and went both ways...as for Harris. ..he was not as good as I watched earlier this year...something was not 100%...why in the world take him out at the 5 yrds line...galax scores if he stays in...instead it left the door open and almost bit them...sit beside a former galax coach and player...everyone was nervous
Harris hasn't been hitting the hole like he should lately and he has been bothered by a bad ankle, Peoples hits the hole harder but he doesn't have the body yet but he is working hard in the weight room and should be a force next year. As for people being nervous I was about to toss my cookies!!!

Last edited:
Yes I would have, instead of going for 2, not sure where the TD came from in post, Congratulations to both teams. Galax beat both front runners imo, very impressive
The poster said he would have kicked a field goal. I assume he means pat and not field goal.

Actually I think that poster is referring to Galax's decision not to kick a field goal and go up 10-0 when they were facing the 4th and 1 at the four-yard line in the third quarter. But I just read something that is an even bigger question.......Are you people telling us that Harris is NOT a senior and that he will be back next year????????????? Say it isn't so! In the post-game interview, he looked like he could pass for 25!!!!

Actually I think that poster is referring to Galax's decision not to kick a field goal and go up 10-0 when they were facing the 4th and 1 at the four-yard line in the third quarter. But I just read something that is an even bigger question.......Are you people telling us that Harris is NOT a senior and that he will be back next year????????????? Say it isn't so! In the post-game interview, he looked like he could pass for 25!!!!
Harris is senior, Peoples is a sophmore

Thanks. I see now that I just plain misread above and that the reference to returning was Peoples.

Not surprised at all by the score or the outcome. I had posted before the game I was more impressed with Galax defense than their offense. Offense may get some kids some looks by a small school at the 1A level, but defense is what will win playoff and title games

Very happy for the Galax players and community. Can we safely say that they are (in these last 3-5 years) "Title Town" Now? When you look at enrollment, economics, and developmental programs it is pretty mindblowing how well they have done in all sports. Those have to be some committed coaches and great kids out there! Cheers to you 'Roon Tide!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT