ADVERTISEMENT

Games I would love to see this year.

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Bluefield at Lord Botetourt in Daleville. Bluefield will make it tough on Cavs this year.
Cavs return
Evan Eller Safety QB offers from Air Force, Army, Columbia, Dartmouth and others.
Hunter Rice RB offer from UVA
Colston Powers OL offers from West Va, UVA, and Louisville
Gage Bassham OL transfer from Abingdon, who has offers from Liberty and Old Dominion. He will probably benefit from a year in weight room with Lord Botetourt.

Obviously, Martinsburg West Va vs Salem.
Salem has new head coach but return all running backs and receivers, plus most of their young defense and undefeated JV team. Salem lost four games last year. QB was hurt early and that didn't help but lost to Dinwiddie by 7, Northside by 8, Blacksburg by 3 and Jefferson Forest by 2.,

Last edited:
Bluefield at Lord Botetourt in Daleville. Bluefield will make it tough on Cavs this year.
Cavs return
Evan Eller Safety QB offers from Air Force, Army, Columbia, Dartmouth and others.
Gage Bassham OL transfer from Abingdon, who has offers from Liberty and Old Dominion. He will probably benefit from a year in weight room with Lord Botetourt.

Salem has new head coach but return all running backs and receivers, plus most of their young defense and undefeated JV team. Salem lost four games last year. QB was hurt early and that didn't help but lost to Dinwiddie by 7, Northside by 8, Blacksburg by 3 and Jefferson Forest by 2.,
When is the Blufield vs LB game?

Cavs return

Bluefield has returning:

Isaiah Johnson- DB/WR
#6 overall player in the country in the class of 2021
Offers including WVU, VT, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Oregon

Sean Martin - DE
#1 player in the state of WV class of 2020. 20+ offers including WVU, VT, Oregon, Penn State, Michigan State

JJ Davis - RB
Averaged over 15 yards per carry last season.
Offers from ODU, Toledo, & PITT

Kaulin Parris - K/P
Invites to the All-American Bowl & Polynesian Bowl
Has an offer from VT

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Bluefield just reloads in talent seemingly every year. Incredible program up there in Bluefield. Their coach is no slouch either. He has won a bunch of state titles.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Bluefield will be looking to return favor after getting beat 17-3 on their home turf.

Bluefield lost a lot of talent off of last year's team, regardless of what folks, say. That being said, they still return a lot of talent. Key for them will be lineplay and the QB position.

As for me. Graham vs. Bluefield, Graham vs. Richlands, Graham vs. Union.

Also Union vs. Richlands and Richlands vs Tazewell.

I hope the Bulldogs live up to the talent that they have on that squad this year.

Reactions: BigWinners
Bluefield has returning:

Isaiah Johnson- DB/WR

Sean Martin - DE
#1 player in the state of WV class of 2020. 20+ offers including WVU, VT, Oregon, Penn State, Michigan State

JJ Davis - RB

Kaulin Parris - K/P
Has an offer from VT

They lost some key components to a very large and talented line. One big reason that Davis put up such good numbers. We will see how things shape up. Losing Edwards, Cooper and Martin are big blows to the offensive production. Folks dont realize just how valuable Cooper was at qb, very smart and efficient. They lost 2 heads of their 3 headed monster out of the backfield. Davis is a talented rb for sure, but he needs a good line in front of him. Johnson is a talented receiver -DB but needs somebody to toss him the ball. Losing Walker and Powell on the line are huge losses(literally). Whoever they end up with at qb will need time to throw. The 4 players you named are great talents for sure. I believe that the line play will be the key to their season.

Last edited:
Bluefield has returning:

Isaiah Johnson- DB/WR

Sean Martin - DE

JJ Davis - RB

Kaulin Parris - K/P
Has an offer from VT

Update:

JJ Davis received offers from Maryland & Cincinnati today

Reactions: 19GHS87
Radford @ Richlands on October 4th should be good.

Been a long time since I've seen Ernie Hicks. Last time I was there was 92 when Richlands beat Salem and went on to win the state title. That was 27 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing Ernie Hicks hosting the Bobcats, and I'm assuming theyve fixed what used to be a gigantic water drain off bump\slope on the hashes that looked flat out dangerous.

Been a long time since I've seen Ernie Hicks. Last time I was there was 92 when Richlands beat Salem and went on to win the state title. That was 27 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing Ernie Hicks hosting the Bobcats, and I'm assuming theyve fixed what used to be a gigantic water drain off bump\slope on the hashes that looked flat out dangerous.
"Ernie Hicks hosting the Bobcats?" Is Mance no longer the coach at Richlands?

Bluefield lost a lot of talent off of last year's team, regardless of what folks, say. That being said, they still return a lot of talent. Key for them will be lineplay and the QB position.

As for me. Graham vs. Bluefield, Graham vs. Richlands, Graham vs. Union.

Also Union vs. Richlands and Richlands vs Tazewell.

I hope the Bulldogs live up to the talent that they have on that squad this year.
I

I'll add Union v. Ridgeview and both v. Abingdon

Ridgeview's three marquee games are Union, Abingdon and against 1A Kentucky powerhouse Pikeville. Pikeville has made it to the KHSAA state final four four years in a row, winning in 2015 and losing in the finals by one point last year.

Pikeville has been solid for decades and it seems little has changed with them. I watched them in the mid 90s come to Mitchell Stadium in Bluefield and play a Bluefield WV (Beavers) team that I think lost the state title that year. But, Pikeville absolutely wore them out something like 31-7 at Bluefield. I believe Bluefields other regular season loss was to Graham which may have won the state title in Div 3 that year. I dont know what Union or Abingdon have this year, but if Pikeville is like they usually are and historically has been, it stands a good chance that Pikeville may actually be Ridgeview's toughest regular season game.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Pikeville has been solid for decades and it seems little has changed with them. I watched them in the mid 90s come to Mitchell Stadium in Bluefield and play a Bluefield WV (Beavers) team that I think lost the state title that year. But, Pikeville absolutely wore them out something like 31-7 at Bluefield. I believe Bluefields other regular season loss was to Graham which may have won the state title in Div 3 that year. I dont know what Union or Abingdon have this year, but if Pikeville is like they usually are and historically has been, it stands a good chance that Pikeville may actually be Ridgeview's toughest regular season game.

Yeah man. There's actually quite a bit of great football in southeastern Kentucky. I'm sure most people have heard of Belfry, who is a dynasty in that area. There's Pikeville who we've already mentioned. Then there's also Paintsville (who Union is playing this season and next) and Johnson Central which are located in the same town who also compete for state titles year after year. (Paintsville in 1A and Johnson Central in 5A)

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Update:

JJ Davis received offers from Maryland & Cincinnati today
Update to the update:

University of Tennessee offered JJ today. Marshall did a few days ago.

Bluefield vs. Graham definitely should be on your bucket list of high school football games to see, but if there was a year to definitely make the trip I’d think it would be this year. 2 teams coming off state championship appearances, 6 players with division 1 offers, 10,000+ in attendance.. that’s worth the drive to Bluefield.

Wow. Should be a showcase of talent. Last year, Bluefield controlled the line of scrimmage fairly easily. Graham shored up the line and made changes as the season went along. I think lineplay will be key for both teams in this one. Graham can't be pushed around like last year. Bluefield needs to replace some key pieces. Plenty of speed and athleticism at the skill positions on both sides of the ball. Graham will need to double up on johnson or something. He got behind the corner back and was wide open all night last year. Gonna have to do something to stop him. I think they will match up much better against the rush this year. Who knows though, its Bluefield and they always seem to have Graham's number.

Last edited:
Bluefield has returning:

Isaiah Johnson- DB/WR

Sean Martin - DE

JJ Davis - RB

Kaulin Parris - K/P
Has an offer from VT

Bluefield had their 5th player receive a division 1 offer yesterday. Updated post -

Bluefield has returning:

Isaiah Johnson- DB/WR
Offers including WVU, VT, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Oregon, South Carolina

Sean Martin - DE
UNC Commit

JJ Davis - RB
#2 player in WV class of 2020
Offers from Tennessee, WVU, Maryland, Marshall, Cincinnati, ODU, Toledo, & PITT

Kaulin Parris - K/P
Has offers from VT, WVU, Morehead State

Jahiem House - DB/WR
Offered by Toledo

Tazewell’s starting QB from the last two years also transferred to Bluefield. He’s not a D1 type player but he throws a pretty deep ball and that’s all that a Bluefield QB needs to do in their offense.

It’s turf now. No more of the old issues of the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT