ADVERTISEMENT

Games you are most looking forward to

???? I'm personally not a fan of Lord Botetourt but this is way off. Botetourt wins a title if Trey Henderson wasn't stomping a whole in C3 that year (2019) I believe) and they're constantly a region final contender.
Oh nah bro, that they are. My comparison to Huguenot is in reference to the “R” word that gets thrown around on here. For me, Botty is a great program but they can’t win the big game. They had an All Star team for 3-4 years straight and couldn’t do it. No high school team on that side of Richmond has ever had the collection of talent they’ve had on one team. Team speed is low. I admire their head coach though. Reminds me of Bedwell in the way he takes care of and loves his kids, just can’t get over the hump.

Reactions: GoBlue2109
Oh nah bro, that they are. My comparison to Huguenot is in reference to the “R” word that gets thrown around on here. For me, Botty is a great program but they can’t win the big game. They had an All Star team for 3-4 years straight and couldn’t do it. No high school team on that side of Richmond has ever had the collection of talent they’ve had on one team. Team speed is low. I admire their head coach though. Reminds me of Bedwell in the way he takes care of and loves his kids, just can’t get over the hump.
Got it. They definitely should've broke through with a whole D1 line like they had

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I know every year is somewhat different because of graduation transfers and just different personnel on the field, but it's alot of talented teams out here in the area dinwiddie is just one of them. I do think in the central district dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, hopewell and matoaca are the top 4 teams no particular order and highland springs #1 in the 804 . But we will see in time what happens.

LB before Coach Harless- they didn't have a winning record and hadn't made the playoffs dating back to 2000.

Since he became the Coach in 2012- they've made the playoffs 11 straight years, played in 3 state championships, 6 seasons winning 10 or more games.

2012 6-5
2013 10-2
2014 7-4
2015 13-2
2016 8-3
2017 10-3
2018 11-3
2019 14-1
2020 8-1
2021 8-4
2022 11-2

More importantly, they've had so many kids go on to play at the next level. Getting that degree to prepare for real life.

They haven't won the big game, but considering they hadn't won 100 games in 25 years before he took over. I'd say they are a program that is moving in the right direction. They may never get over that hump. It's a hell of a hump to climb. 50+ teams in each Class every year don't even make the championship game.

I don't think LB has ever had the skill guys or team speed that you see on the teams they've played deep in the playoffs- Magna Vista, Blacksburg, Heritage, Hopewell, Lafayette. If Salem had LB's OL most years, there might be a couple more shiny trophies on the shelf, or conversely if LB had the skill guys, maybe the same for them.

I know every year is somewhat different because of graduation transfers and just different personnel on the field, but it's alot of talented teams out here in the area dinwiddie is just one of them. I do think in the central district dinwiddie, Thomas Dale, hopewell and matoaca are the top 4 teams no particular order and highland springs #1 in the 804 . But we will see in time what happens.
Good to have another 804 guy on here. You think Matoaca and Hopewell will be ranked ahead of Varina this year? I know Dale will be loaded for another playoff run this year.

I like Dinwiddie. I know you’re gonna get me 😂 HS, Varina and Dinwiddie will all be extremely good this year.
I’m just glad they all get to face each other on the field,one way or another! All 3 are loaded for sure! That Varina/Freedom game has me on high interest. So does the Dinwiddie & HSHS out of state games.

Good to have another 804 guy on here. You think Matoaca and Hopewell will be ranked ahead of Varina this year? I know Dale will be loaded for another playoff run this year.
No, matoaca or hopewell willn't be ranked ahead of varina but in the central district they will be playing one another along with Dale and dinwiddie. 1 Dinwiddie and 2 Dale then 3 hopewell, 4 matoaca, 5 Colonial Heights, 6 petersburg, 7 prince George and 8 Meadowbrook that's my picks in the central district.

I don't think LB has ever had the skill guys or team speed that you see on the teams they've played deep in the playoffs- Magna Vista, Blacksburg, Heritage, Hopewell, Lafayette. If Salem had LB's OL most years, there might be a couple more shiny trophies on the shelf, or conversely if LB had the skill guys, maybe the same for them.
I know COVID year was tough with so many what ifs, but they were a top 10 team in the state that year regardless of class. I think that was probably their fastest team.
I’m just glad they all get to face each other on the field,one way or another! All 3 are loaded for sure! That Varina/Freedom game has me on high interest. So does the Dinwiddie & HSHS out of state games.
Many will sleep on the Varina/HS game this year but I think that’ll be better than Varina/Freedom. Freedom’s a little overrated IMO but still a very good team. I like the 804 in those 540/757 matchups. I got Freedom going up 95 North with 2 Ls against the East End boys.

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
LB dumping Salem and refusing to ever schedule them again tells me all I need to know. Salem has given them "anytime, anywhere" allowances and Harless still says no. Was an annual game before he came to town.

Reactions: salemfan32
LB probably needs to put Salem back on their schedule to help them get over that hump in big games. I understand why they didn't play for several years, because honestly when you lose 25/26 it's probably time to find a new opponent. Now that they have established themselves as an annual playoff team, a regular regional contender, and an occasional contender at the state level, it's probably time to see if they can work out something with Salem again. I think it would benefit both teams.

Agreed if LB had some team speed during their run they certainly would have a title in d3 but speed kills and they don’t have much on their side. They don’t schedule Salem due to the fact they are picking out of each others flower bed to give flowers to the same person. Salem generally has the correct balance of skill, speed, and strength — historically they have had that combination more times than not. LB is good but I don’t see them having a run like they just had or continuing that level of success.

Last edited:
I know COVID year was tough with so many what ifs, but they were a top 10 team in the state that year regardless of class. I think that was probably their fastest team.

Many will sleep on the Varina/HS game this year but I think that’ll be better than Varina/Freedom. Freedom’s a little overrated IMO but still a very good team. I like the 804 in those 540/757 matchups. I got Freedom going up 95 North with 2 Ls against the East End boys.
I have Varina beating freedom as well. It’s always interesting to see teams that are built on speed, face a team with the same speed they have,and quite honestly more talent. from what I’m hearing about Manchester, the toughest game may be that Manchester/highland springs game early in the season and possibly in the playoffs.

I have Varina beating freedom as well. It’s always interesting to see teams that are built on speed, face a team with the same speed they have,and quite honestly more talent. from what I’m hearing about Manchester, the toughest game may be that Manchester/highland springs game early in the season and possibly in the playoffs.
I think Huguenot will give Manchester all they can handle as well. I heard Huguenot picked up Bird’s do it all RB. That backfield on Forest Hill is going to be very very good.

I think Huguenot will give Manchester all they can handle as well. I heard Huguenot picked up Bird’s do it all RB. That backfield on Forest Hill is going to be very very good.
I got Manchester with a running clock by the 4th qtr over Huguenot. Manchester is loaded!

Reactions: Senex
I got Manchester with a running clock by the 4th qtr over Huguenot. Manchester is loaded!
Huguenot is loaded too lol..

They’re young but arguably has the most “star power” in the 804. Varina and HS are the only two rosters with the collection of caliber players they have.

Matoaca nor hopewell is on Varina level this year. Thomas Dale will be tough but I can't put them over Manchester yet until they beat them when it counts. Also, I would not put Matoaca or Hopewell over LC Bird because Bird has some studs returning this year on offense.

I have to disagree, I have Varina losing to Freedom and it has nothing to do with similar speed or talent. I believe Varina will lose in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Freedom is big up front which will allow them to control the line of scrimmage. Also. I think Maury will be HSHS toughest game. Very similar program and we have to play them in Norflok. Plus Maury will be playing with the revenge factor. Don't forget the w teams Maury lost to last year were HSHS(VA C5 state champ) and New Bern(NC state champ).

Huguenot is loaded too lol..

They’re young but arguably has the most “star power” in the 804. Varina and HS are the only two rosters with the collection of caliber players they have.
They are not loaded like Manchester or nearly as deep! If I’m correct,they have the Manchester 2nd string QB. The biggest difference is the Manchester depth & experience in the trenches. They are FAR superior there.

They are not loaded like Manchester or nearly as deep! If I’m correct,they have the Manchester 2nd string QB. The biggest difference is the Manchester depth & experience in the trenches. They are FAR superior there.
Manchester has the collection of kids with P5 offers? No sir, not even close. Markel Dabney will be the best player on the field just about every game they play. They have about 6 kids with FBS offers, only Trinity, Varina and HS has that in Richmond. They are very young so I actually have Manchester winning too, but it’ll be close.

Can’t argue the depth. Manchester’s QB is probably going to be one of the best in the state and the kid at Huguenot would be Manchester’s QB had the young man not came here from TX. I also agree with you on the trenches statement.

Huguenot will be a good test for GW can’t wait to see their talent hope the Eagles can match up

Manchester has the collection of kids with P5 offers? No sir, not even close. Markel Dabney will be the best player on the field just about every game they play. They have about 6 kids with FBS offers, only Trinity, Varina and HS has that in Richmond. They are very young so I actually have Manchester winning too, but it’ll be close.

Can’t argue the depth. Manchester’s QB is probably going to be one of the best in the state and the kid at Huguenot would be Manchester’s QB had the young man not came here from TX. I also agree with you on the trenches statement.
I don’t always measure teams based on their strengths. Both of these teams have talent at the power-5 level. I Measure teams based on the biggest weakness. Both will have a very good quarterback, but which one of the teams offensive lines can give that quarterback time to do damage. Which one of these quarterbacks has a running game and wide receiver to support that quarterback. On the other hand, which one of those defenses can get to the other quarterback. If you give either one of these talented quarterbacks time, they will pick you apart, and I don’t care how good your secondary is. Nobody can cover these talented wide receivers for more than four seconds. both have division one talent on the outside. The biggest question mark Remains….who still has gas in the tank come late third quarter, and into the fourth quarter in the trenches. Somebody on that Huguenot offensive line has to protect the quarterback from Byerson. I don’t know what Huguenot got from LCA,but their OLine was dismal,AT BEST,last year. That’s another reason I’m taking Manchester in a run away win here. IMHO,skill players are a wash in this particular game,but the trenches are a different level unless I’m missing something. Only 5 or 6 players came to Huguenot from LCA. Please correct me if I’ve missed something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT