ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City

All I know is that in 97, when GC was AA div. 1 and won a state title, they lost to both the A div.1 and A div.2 champions.

Gate City was AA, Div 3, not Div 1. Big Double A would have been Div 4, then Divisions 5 and 6 for triple A.

I think many people get hung up on the letter "A". That letter mattered up and until 1986 as you only had A, AA, and AAA. After this or since 1986, forget about the letter "A" and think of numbers 1 through 6. We have called those numbers "Divisions" and "Classifications." Doesn't matter really, six levels of play and they are 1-6.

Gate City was AA, Div 3, not Div 1. Big Double A would have been Div 4, then Divisions 5 and 6 for triple A.

I think many people get hung up on the letter "A". That letter mattered up and until 1986 as you only had A, AA, and AAA. After this or since 1986, forget about the letter "A" and think of numbers 1 through 6. We have called those numbers "Divisions" and "Classifications." Doesn't matter really, six levels of play and they are 1-6.

I was saying GC was in the lowest level of AA. AA div. 1 wasn't the lowest level in AA?

AA was Div 3 and Div 4. I think that is where the confusion/back and forth is coming from.

It has went from A, AA, AAA to Div 1/2, Div 3/4 and Div 5/6 and versions of split between regions and East West

Ah okay I gotcha. I know A was Div1 and D2, it only makes sense that AA would be D3-4, I didn't think about it like that. I just knew GC was in the smaller AA grouping.

Your right, I don't, and I never claimed to know. What I do know is, you used the words "you all" to classify an entire fan base. Do you know every Gate City fan? The answer just like me not living in SWVA and not knowing, is equally applicable to you...and that answer is.... No. You don't know either. I admitted I didn't claim to know. But, when you use the words "you all," it can reasonably be assumed that you are claiming to know that all GC fans are entitled.

Okay...I will give it to you because I generalized and lumped all of the GC fans into the group. I'll change it to a majority. I understand that people are frustrated; however, people need to understand that sometimes the well runs a little dry and that is hard to admit. It is much easier to blame the coach. I don't think that Bear Bryant could get this turned around at the moment. When people talk about those earlier teams, they had college type kids on them.

Okay...I will give it to you because I generalized and lumped all of the GC fans into the group. I'll change it to a majority. I understand that people are frustrated; however, people need to understand that sometimes the well runs a little dry and that is hard to admit. It is much easier to blame the coach. I don't think that Bear Bryant could get this turned around at the moment. When people talk about those earlier teams, they had college type kids on them.
Im pretty sure its the Coach.

From A to Z, Gate City has probably had the best sports program of any 2A school in the state, for past 8-10 years, maybe longer.
It is puzzling as to why their football team has went downhill.
From A to Z, George Mason owns 2A. Go to their gym and start counting the state titles. Yeah I know they haven’t won football but the A to Z comment is misplaced.

GM titles (partial lists)...11 straight soccer titles (girls). Boys soccer has won 6 of last 9 state titles, including 2018. Lacrosse won 2018 4A title as a 2A team. Girls basketball has won multiple state titles (runner up last season); Boys tennis has won 17 titles, including 2018. According to this website, through 2017, GM has won 62 state titles in all sports.

https://georgemasonhighschool.bigteams.com/main/otherad/contentID/41153546

That's awesome!

My neck of the woods, they just got soccer teams a couple years ago, no lacrosse.

I'd be interesting to see who in 2A has the most among the Big Three sports.
Powell Valley had 8 titles in football, one in basketball, one in baseball, a couple in track and maybe one in golf.
Wise Central, and JJK before that, has an ungodly amount of girls basketball titles and racked up a lot of baseball titles in the past

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT