ADVERTISEMENT

Generals 2024 Football Schedule set.

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
GLkASpUW8AAO0Ax

I was on the GW MaxPreps page not long ago and it also has the 30th. Sounds like the ADs or head coaches need to get together on this.

Nice looking schedule. Just an opinion. You guys might want to drop North Stafford after this current half of the cycle. They've really regressed recently. It's good to get those extra points, but you're not going to improve much by playing them.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Two home, FIVE away, then three at home. Strange the way it has worked out.

Chuck V, we are looking to hosting you and your partner again. It’s always fun to have you present in our press booth.

With Coach Hall taking the helm at Prince George, I foresee the rivalry with Dinwiddie rising to a whole new level.

There are a whole lot of speed bumps on Dinwiddie’s road to success this season. But I have faith. If dedication to hard work in the off season accounts for anything, we should have a good team. I’m not sure that Dinwiddie has ever had a team that has been as diligent in the off season as this team.

Nice looking schedule. Just an opinion. You guys might want to drop North Stafford after this current half of the cycle. They've really regressed recently. It's good to get those extra points, but you're not going to improve much by playing them.
What happened that caused North Stafford to regress so much?

Freedom of movement up there!
Incorrect. Coaching turnover has really undone the progress Joe Mangano made up there. When the NS head coach chooses to take a dead-end gig like Chancellor, you know the coaching killer instinct isn’t there.

Reactions: HooSprings
Our AD told our head coach that is incorrect. Someone needs to make a call. I can’t imagine anyone agreeing to play nearly 3 hrs away on a school night. That’s part of why these two don’t play JV.

It’s the norm for many school divisions to not have school on Friday of Labor Day weekend. It makes sense to move those games to Thursday night, so you can max out your gate. Lots of people travel for the 4-Day weekend.

Just reporting what I was told on the GW end. For the record, DPS is in school in that Friday. Honestly, I don’t know many school districts that close on that day. I would also argue that not as many people travel for Labor Day as they once did. Getting kids to practice on Labor Day Monday is the hard part.

My information is that DCPS are closed Aug 30, in compliance with the VDOE mandate that there be a four day break for Labor Day.

Also, traditionally, even when schools waited to start school after Labor Day, the Friday game of that weekend was played on Thursday. Not always, but most years.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Never heard of a VDOE mandate for 4 day break for Labor Day. The link below is for the DPS 2024-25 calendar. Clearly DPS is in school on the 30th of August so your info is incorrect.

I wanna call BS on this but I am not knowledgeable enough. Someone on the GW end appears to have dropped the ball. Hope that doesn’t happen when these teams play.

BTW, you can play when you are out of school. Most teams have to at least once a year because of teacher workdays. It’s not a mandate that because you all are out that the game has to be moved. It must be mutually agreed upon. No one on the GW end is admitting to doing that. Hope there wasn’t an assumption made.

I wanna call BS on this but I am not knowledgeable enough. Someone on the GW end appears to have dropped the ball. Hope that doesn’t happen when these teams play.
My understanding is that GW could have refused to shift the game to Thursday. Believe visitor has to agree to it when the home team requests the shift.

So, wouldn’t the GW AD have already agreed to it? Or are you speculating that Dinwiddie announced the Thursday date without GW agreeing?

I agree, not ideal for GW to travel that far on a school night. And I can’t say anything about VDOE mandating Labor Day Friday off. Have never heard that. But my school pretty much always plays on Thursday that week because one or both schools usually has Friday off. And maximizing football attendance for $$ is important for HS ADs.

As stated in an earlier post I’m just reporting what has been announced and told on the GW end. We’ve had the game on the 30th from the beginning. In fact, GW MaxPreps page still shows it on the 30th.

When I saw the Dinwiddie schedule posted here last weekend I started inquiring. Through the grapevine, which can get twisted, it’s my understanding our AD told our head coach no change had been made. Who knows though? Strange things seem to happen in Danville these days. GW is on its 3rd AD in 3 years and soon to be on its 3rd principal.

I’d say it past time for someone, somewhere to make a call and get this resolved once and for all. The Eagles will show up whenever it’s scheduled. They just need to know when and us fans do too.

https://www.doe.virginia.gov/data-policy-funding/virginia-board-of-education/pre-labor-day-openings

Effective July 1, 2019, § 22.1-79.1 of the Code of Virginia, provides:

• All school divisions in Virginia may set the school calendar such that the first day students are required to attend is up to 14 days before Labor Day. Those divisions beginning school prior to Labor Day must close each school in the school division from the Friday immediately preceding Labor Day through Labor Day.
I can assure you that the game is scheduled for Thursday, Aug 29th, at Dinwiddie, at 7:00 pm.

• Haha
Reactions: gwb16
From what I am hearing today, GW is fine w playing on Thursday as long as the district will excuse the team from classes for at least a half day on Friday. Getting back between 1 and 2 am is not going to bode well for school attendance on the 30th. Also, there are some coaches that live an hour away from Danville. Their night will be even longer.

The “pisser” in all of this is the breakdown, or lack of communication from both schools. It’s really inexcusable that we’re still trying to figure this out in late April.

Based on their calendar, should DPS not be closed on Friday the 30th?

That’s a question that needs to be asked.

Two home, FIVE away, then three at home. Strange the way it has worked out.

Chuck V, we are looking to hosting you and your partner again. It’s always fun to have you present in our press booth.

With Coach Hall taking the helm at Prince George, I foresee the rivalry with Dinwiddie rising to a whole new level.

There are a whole lot of speed bumps on Dinwiddie’s road to success this season. But I have faith. If dedication to hard work in the off season accounts for anything, we should have a good team. I’m not sure that Dinwiddie has ever had a team that has been as diligent in the off season as this team.
Keep the seat warm for me! :)

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
https://www.doe.virginia.gov/data-policy-funding/virginia-board-of-education/pre-labor-day-openings

Effective July 1, 2019, § 22.1-79.1 of the Code of Virginia, provides:

• All school divisions in Virginia may set the school calendar such that the first day students are required to attend is up to 14 days before Labor Day. Those divisions beginning school prior to Labor Day must close each school in the school division from the Friday immediately preceding Labor Day through Labor Day.
I can assure you that the game is scheduled for Thursday, Aug 29th, at Dinwiddie, at 7:00 pm.
This is interesting. My school started 27 days before Labor Day for 23-24. I suppose it’s an easy waiver to get if you ask correctly.

Based on their calendar, should DPS not be closed on Friday the 30th?

That’s a question that needs to be asked.
That’s the real question. Why were classes scheduled in defiance of state law. My guess is that whomever put the calendar together was not aware of the law. The smart thing for the Superintendant to do is to declare the day a holiday.

But, I do believe that if GW request that the game be played Friday, our AD would certainly do his best to accommodate the request. The bottom line is, “what is best for the kids” is what will drive the decision.

Who will Dinwiddie Scrimmage and play for Benefit game?
I’m not sure. We almost always go up against LC Bird. Typically another Richmond area team will be part of that scrimmage. Coach Mills likes to travel down to tidewater and knock heads with a couple of the teams down that way.
As far as I know, Dinwiddie has never played a benefit game. I believe Coach Mills prefers to focus on specific parts of the game under controlled circumstances that scrimmages offer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT