ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown and McClung Take Down St. John's

I certainly don't follow any conferences closely aside from ACC, and not to say that Big East isnt a top 6 conference, but you do have to factor in who the teams are playing in non conference when discussing their record. I dont know about this year, but I believe it was last year, Georgetown had a great record to begin the season, either undefeated or 1 loss and was barely mentioned in others receiving votes to be ranked. It was because of their awful non conference.

And looking at the top teams you mentioned, I have an issue with one. They are always highly ranked, but I don't think Gonzaga deserves to be mentioned with the Duke, UNC, UVA, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Villanova teams. You put a team like VT (I'm a UNC fan btw) in the WCC, and they would do nearly as good. And VT is a team looked at as a decent team. It matters who you play to me. That's why I cant put too much stock into teams who inflate their record by having mediocre non conference, or mediocre conferences.

But none of that gives credence to slight Mr. McClung. He is just a freshman and I believe in a good place for his skillset. I don't think he would match very well at UVA.

I agree the WCC is weak.....but i have a much easier time putting Gonzaga on that list than I do UVA. The Zags usually muster enough to get out of the first round of the tourny against a 16 seed if they are a #1. UVA has time and time again proven to be choke artists when push comes to shove. They rely on that vaunted defense then suddenly that defense meets a challenge and then they have no offense to help get over the hump. I simply will not put UVA in the same breath as Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St, or Nova. When they prove to me they can actually dance at the dance....then I'll be a believer.

Reactions: charlie22650
I certainly don't follow any conferences closely aside from ACC, and not to say that Big East isnt a top 6 conference, but you do have to factor in who the teams are playing in non conference when discussing their record. I dont know about this year, but I believe it was last year, Georgetown had a great record to begin the season, either undefeated or 1 loss and was barely mentioned in others receiving votes to be ranked. It was because of their awful non conference.

And looking at the top teams you mentioned, I have an issue with one. They are always highly ranked, but I don't think Gonzaga deserves to be mentioned with the Duke, UNC, UVA, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Villanova teams. You put a team like VT (I'm a UNC fan btw) in the WCC, and they would do nearly as good. And VT is a team looked at as a decent team. It matters who you play to me. That's why I cant put too much stock into teams who inflate their record by having mediocre non conference, or mediocre conferences.

But none of that gives credence to slight Mr. McClung. He is just a freshman and I believe in a good place for his skillset. I don't think he would match very well at UVA.

Yeah GU non conference can be weak. Hopefully that will change with increased talent.

I think Ewing will turn up the heat with the Non Con schedule soon....he just needs to build his depth chart first. I think he just chose the route of scheduling lesser teams to help the Hoyas gain confidence by getting some wins instead of taking the other route of getting experience by getting their eyes beat out by much stronger competition. Both methods can work.....just depends on what kind of players you have and how they respond to each.

Reactions: aw19752
Coach from Fern Creek finally speaks out about the comment he made mid game about Mac going to Georgetown sit the bench. And I don't believe his story one bit lol

Reactions: 3n2Mafia
The Big East is so down and yet the worst the best team in the conference has done the last 2 out of 3 years is get to the final 4 and win the whole thing.

okay cool Villanova has had a couple great teams in recent years. But that doesn't mean the Big East isn't bad. Look at their likely tourney teams, they could get as few as two but at max four. Compare that to most other P5 conferences, the BE is at the bottom.

Marshall and BigWinners, I respect the heck out of you guys and your posting, but I have to disagree with both of you on this one.

The ACC is the best conference, so your statement applies to ANY and ALL conferences, and not just the Big East. By the way, I'm an ACC fan, but the "P5" in football isn't remotely applicable to "P5" in basketball. Conferences like the Big East and AAC are always top 6, and the Big East is still an elite conference that like I wrote, is arguably the second best conference in basketball. I think it's the 5th best this year, but look back since 2010, the Big East in basketball has a strong argument as the second best conference in the country and for sure, is top 5. Now, when talking about Duke, UNC, and UVA, no question that's a different beast, but that applies to to 99% of other programs in America when comparing them to those 3 outside of course of Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Gonzaga, and that's about it.

The Big East is down THIS year, but isn't not way down because the depth of that conference even in 2018 is pretty good. Villanova is still a sweet 16 team and Marquette is legit. Even in 2018-19 which is a down year, no team in the conference has a losing record. Villanova, Marquette, Georgetown, Butler, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Creighton, Providence, Xavier, Depaul. Guys, that's a dam* good basketball conference. Agree though, down this year, but it certainly hasn't been down by any stretch recently or in recent history. Heck, Xavier, a recent number one seed and Marquette, Nova, Georgetown, all with a history of at least one "Nati" and every team in the conference has been to the final four and played for at least one national title other than Creighton, and St. Johns. Providence has been to the final four but not played for a title. But that's deep history there, even in recent history, Butler, Xavier, Nova, Marquette, and even Creighton. The conference has been actually elite and I will write it, it's actually been elite level. This year, it's down, but don't count it out. Marquette is good enough to get the final four. They are legit. I think St. Johns is definitely tougher than playing at Wake and I think playing at Marquette would be tougher than NC. State. Keep in mind, we are having to make comparisons about the toughness of the Big East by using the ACC. When using the ACC as a comparison, that argument will work on any other conference in the country.

I wrote this earlier this year and I will stick with it. I think McClung will be a college All-American in Basketball by the team he's a senior at Georgetown. Why? He's so incredibly gifted with the ball in one on one situations and has the ability to drive by the defender or shoot over team with his elevation and it's clearly showing at Georgetown. It's very clear to see that other players are having some difficulty guarding him. I don't think there's any question the ACC is the best conference year in and year out, and that includes this year, but I'm telling ya, the Big East is a top 3-4 conference year in and year out and sometimes, the second best conference and even this year with it being down, look at the depth or "bad team" in their conference. There really aren't many if any. It's always deep and the worst team in that conference still has an overall winning record. Even this year, it's a top 5 conference. The Big East has 10 teams, and even right now with the RPI (which is very much respected by the NCAA tournament committee and taken very serious in selection) the conference has 5 teams (50% of the conference) ranked in the top 50 and 7 of the 10 teams (70% of the entire conference) is ranked in the top 60 in the RPI. That's very, very, very good. 80% of the conference (8 out of 10 teams) are ranked in the RPI top 100. Only Providence and Depaul are ranked outside of the top 100 and both are ranked in the top 150 and have winning records. Guys, the Big East is dang good, and for sure it's down this year, but that speaks to its strength of how good it is even on a down year. There really isn't a "bad team" in the conference and look at the NBA players from the Big East and look at conference recruiting rankings. The Big East is right there. It's an elite conference and I think over the past 10 years, it's been the second best conference overall in the country. Close to them has been the AAC and Big 10. Both of those could be argued in my opinion as the second best. Top to bottom, I think it's the Big East.

It's not a top five conference this year. There's a chance they only get two tourney teams. It's just not very good this year.
The ACC, SEC, B10, B12 are all clearly better, and I'd argue the AAC is better top to bottom. It's on the same level of the PAC-12, which is having a horrendous year.

the BE usually produces one or two very good teams, but it lags behind the others in quality depth. Syracuse left the conference, same with Louisville, and were replaced by Xavier and Creighton. Not quite an even trade.

It's not a slight at Mac at all, but the facts are he gets so much playing time bc he is a guard on a team that isn't very talented and was especially weak on the wing. At VT, he may get 6-12 minutes per game maybe. At UVA, none, because they are an elite team. Tech is a top 25 team and is ranked higher than any BE team and they're at best the fourth best team in their conference, at worst they're the sixth or seventh. UVA, Duke, UNC, Louisville, NC State could all end up better than Tech.

The BE has three teams in the top 50 in the KenPom ratings, none in the top 20 (Nova highest at 21). ACC has five of top 13. It's just not a great league this year.

I agree the WCC is weak.....but i have a much easier time putting Gonzaga on that list than I do UVA. The Zags usually muster enough to get out of the first round of the tourny against a 16 seed if they are a #1. UVA has time and time again proven to be choke artists when push comes to shove. They rely on that vaunted defense then suddenly that defense meets a challenge and then they have no offense to help get over the hump. I simply will not put UVA in the same breath as Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St, or Nova. When they prove to me they can actually dance at the dance....then I'll be a believer.

See to me, UVA has been way more impressive than Gonzaga. Any one of these top teams can lose if they don't play well, that's not a secret. But UVA has been the team in a trio of top teams in ACC last few seasons. I also think it appears that UVA has done some things to help their offense, which was their Achilles heel.

But to get your answer with comparing UVA and Gonzaga, just ask how the 2 teams would fare if they switched conferences. Obviously I am biased as I don't think much of Gonzaga, but they would be lucky to be a 6 seed.

Or let's look at why Gonzaga usually has a high seed, because they start out being high and expectations. Those expectations are from the 20+ wins they will easily pick up in conference. Now we have these new tier victories, so who knows what kind of seed they get. In a 1 game play, Gonzaga could beat any of them, but not consistently. They are quite talented though. My honest opinion, they are ranked 4th and I think that they could be better than 5-8 teams in top 25. Don't know about a few, and the others have been up and down.

That's what I don't like about the rankings, it is largely predicated on where you started. But it's all good

See to me, UVA has been way more impressive than Gonzaga. Any one of these top teams can lose if they don't play well, that's not a secret. But UVA has been the team in a trio of top teams in ACC last few seasons. I also think it appears that UVA has done some things to help their offense, which was their Achilles heel.

But to get your answer with comparing UVA and Gonzaga, just ask how the 2 teams would fare if they switched conferences. Obviously I am biased as I don't think much of Gonzaga, but they would be lucky to be a 6 seed.

Or let's look at why Gonzaga usually has a high seed, because they start out being high and expectations. Those expectations are from the 20+ wins they will easily pick up in conference. Now we have these new tier victories, so who knows what kind of seed they get. In a 1 game play, Gonzaga could beat any of them, but not consistently. They are quite talented though. My honest opinion, they are ranked 4th and I think that they could be better than 5-8 teams in top 25. Don't know about a few, and the others have been up and down.

That's what I don't like about the rankings, it is largely predicated on where you started. But it's all good

I'm not exactly a Zaga fan....but I think they are ranked right where they need to be. They are without question a Top 5 team in the nation. You have to consider this....theyve been without 2 of their star players for a big portion of the season and have still looked very good. When Tillie and Crendall are both healthy they are gonna be a completely different animal. UVA comes out hot every year as of lately and always end up being the biggest letdown of any team in the nation.

Put them in the ACC and they end up being near the top. Doesnt matter what conference they are in they are loaded and well coached. It would be best for the rest of the nation if they remained in the weak WCC. If they were in the ACC, Big 10, etc they'd be alot more seasoned and battle tested come tourny time and be a much bigger threat. Ask the Duke Blue Devils what happens when you play Zaga and they are playing at a high level. Duke got hot in the final 10-12 mins to make that a ball game.....it was nearing a blowout up to that point.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I dang sure wont ever stick my neck out for UVA. They fall flat of their face way too much.

Last edited:
Gonzaga has a very deep team this year. They just got Tillie back, who is a potential late 1st round draft pick and he's been coming off the bench. Plus they do own a victory over Duke as well, not to mention that they were just in the national championship game a few years ago against UNC. Will they win it all? I doubt it, but they will be in the hunt. UVA obviously looks good thus far but I'm with the other poster, I need to see them do it when it really matters. Their offense might be better this year, but they should have had enough offense last year to beat UMBC, but didn't. I think Bennett is a great coach but to get to that upper echelon he needs to have some postseason success and really other than one Elite 8 run a few years ago, his teams have underperformed in the Big Dance. As for Mac, the Big East as a whole isnt what it used to be, but this is a kid that many said wouldn't even see the court, and he's not only proven people wrong on that, but he's averaging 14 ppg, and nearly 19 ppg in the conference. Is he a finished product? No, but the kid has an amazing work ethic and he will only continue to get better. I've never really understood all of the hate for this kid, and a lot of it is from adults. The kid comes from a great family, works his butt off, and is thriving at the college level. I guess a lot of it might be jealousy but I have always wished him the best and hope that he succeeds at whatever he does.

Reactions: sharkfan83
It's not a top five conference this year. There's a chance they only get two tourney teams. It's just not very good this year.
The ACC, SEC, B10, B12 are all clearly better, and I'd argue the AAC is better top to bottom. It's on the same level of the PAC-12, which is having a horrendous year.

the BE usually produces one or two very good teams, but it lags behind the others in quality depth. Syracuse left the conference, same with Louisville, and were replaced by Xavier and Creighton. Not quite an even trade.

It's not a slight at Mac at all, but the facts are he gets so much playing time bc he is a guard on a team that isn't very talented and was especially weak on the wing. At VT, he may get 6-12 minutes per game maybe. At UVA, none, because they are an elite team. Tech is a top 25 team and is ranked higher than any BE team and they're at best the fourth best team in their conference, at worst they're the sixth or seventh. UVA, Duke, UNC, Louisville, NC State could all end up better than Tech.

The BE has three teams in the top 50 in the KenPom ratings, none in the top 20 (Nova highest at 21). ACC has five of top 13. It's just not a great league this year.

Just to give more details because not 1 conference can compete with ACC, here are the Top conferences in Top 40 in AP rankings.

ACC- 8 teams: (UVA, Dook, UNC, VT, Louisville, Florida State, NC State, Syracuse

Big10- 8 teams: (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota

SEC- 6 teams: Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Miss St, Auburn, Mississippi

Big 12- 6 teams: Kansas, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, TCU

Pac 12- 1 team: Washington

WCC- 1 team: Gonzaga

Mountain West- 1 team: Nevada

Big East- 2 teams: Marquette and Villanova

AAC- 2 teams: Houston and Cincinnati

MAC- 1 team: Buffalo

A10- 1 team: Davidson others are on the verge)

Southern- 1 team: Wofford. UNCG is right there too.

CAA- 1 team. Hofstra.

There are a few other teams who would be close to them.

1. ACC
2. BIG10
3. SEC
4. BIG12
5. Either Big East or AAC. Probably lean towards Big East.

I'd say they usually would fall between 4 and 7

I'm not exactly a Zaga fan....but I think they are ranked right where they need to be. They are without question a Top 5 team in the nation. You have to consider this....theyve been without 2 of their star players for a big portion of the season and have still looked very good. When Tillie and Crendall are both healthy they are gonna be a completely different animal. UVA comes out hot every year as of lately and always end up being the biggest letdown of any team in the nation.

Put them in the ACC and they end up being near the top. Doesnt matter what conference they are in they are loaded and well coached. It would be best for the rest of the nation if they remained in the weak WCC. If they were in the ACC, Big 10, etc they'd be alot more seasoned and battle tested come tourny time and be a much bigger threat. Ask the Duke Blue Devils what happens when you play Zaga and they are playing at a high level. Duke got hot in the final 10-12 mins to make that a ball game.....it was nearing a blowout up to that point.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I dang sure wont ever stick my neck out for UVA. They fall flat of their face way too much.

They could be towards the top, but they would lose more games than they are now. They have played 3 top 10 teams, that is all they will play before the tournament, they are 1-2.

I'm not saying they aren't very good, I think they have a good team, and if everything goes right for the they could win it all. I just feel their ranking is overinflated. And because of that over inflation, they get a more favorable seed.

I think you are using a different question for your answer though. If we are talking about a better program because doing it consistently and against tougher competition, UVA wins that. But if we are asking who you trust more to make a Final 4, then you could have a different argument

Just to give more details because not 1 conference can compete with ACC, here are the Top conferences in Top 40 in AP rankings.

ACC- 8 teams: (UVA, Dook, UNC, VT, Louisville, Florida State, NC State, Syracuse

Big10- 8 teams: (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota

SEC- 6 teams: Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Miss St, Auburn, Mississippi

Big 12- 6 teams: Kansas, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, TCU

Pac 12- 1 team: Washington

WCC- 1 team: Gonzaga

Mountain West- 1 team: Nevada

Big East- 2 teams: Marquette and Villanova

AAC- 2 teams: Houston and Cincinnati

MAC- 1 team: Buffalo

A10- 1 team: Davidson others are on the verge)

Southern- 1 team: Wofford. UNCG is right there too.

CAA- 1 team. Hofstra.

There are a few other teams who would be close to them.

1. ACC
2. BIG10
3. SEC
4. BIG12
5. Either Big East or AAC. Probably lean towards Big East.

I'd say they usually would fall between 4 and 7

Agreed, except I'd use RPI, KenPom or the new ratings, as a team like Alabama is in the top 40 RPI and has three ranked wins this month. But I agree with your overall point

A few things. I concede the Big East is down, but it's down, "this year." It's down not because it's "not good" but because of the youth. The Big East had a ton of senior laden teams the last 2 years. Not just Georgetown, but heck, look at Nova, Xavier, Butler. Their are tons of freshmen on the floor in the Big East this year. Yes, it's down this year by as much as it's ever been, but that doesn't mean it's staying down. It's an elite conference and by all indications, over the next 3-4 years, it's going to be right where it always has been, a top 5 conference. This is only my take on it.

As for polls. Throw that away in college basketball. That's college football stuff. College basketball is ALL ABOUT the RPI and Strength of Schedule. The selection committee looks at stuff "within" the strength of schedule like road wins, SOS against the top 50, 100, etc, etc, but polls don't even enter the equation. An example, Rhode Island was ranked 25th in the coaches poll about 8 years ago and did not make the NCAA tournament.

As for Gonzaga and UVA. Both are fantastic and UVA is right there at elite level, but to define elite, is it good for 5 years or 10 or 20, etc. UVA is there now. They are elite and it looks like no sign of slouching off, but they haven't been good until recently, the last 4 or so years. Gonzaga has been very good for 20 years. But, something changed about 6-7 years ago with this program and it's now a top 5, top 10 elite program. It's literally 1 of the top 5 overall programs in America year in and year out. Again, I'm not talking about "this very year." I'm talking about long term. Why Gonzage right around the 5th best, and definitely top 10 overall year in and year out? Well, the "little school from the West that recruited 60th best and played it's way to great records and always making the tournament with the great coach" is what it was from about 98 to 2012, but look at Gonzaga's recruiting since then. Through the roof, elite level talent. No longer "all staters." They have guys leaving early for the NBA now like Sabonis, etc. Check this out, for 2019, Gonzaga has committments from 4 players. ALL 4 of them in the top 50 in the country. That's elite level folks. Is it Duke or Kentucky recruiting? Nope, but is it a very, very high level of recruiting? Heck yea, 4 of the top 50. That's elite. This is what Gonzaga has become and there's no sign they are going anywhere. You seen that in the game against Duke earlier in the year. Duke has a far greater chance of winning the dance this year as their freshmen gain more experience, but you could still see the clear-cut talent level Gonzaga had in the game. You could see 3 NBA players on the floor for Gonzaga, and they have that, 3 of their 5 starters will be drafted, and the 4 they have coming in next year are super-talented guys also. Gonzaga didn't have that 10 years ago. They had maybe one guy that could play in the NBA or be drafted late second round. Today's Gonzaga isn't the Gonzaga of 10 years ago.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
A few things. I concede the Big East is down, but it's down, "this year." It's down not because it's "not good" but because of the youth. The Big East had a ton of senior laden teams the last 2 years. Not just Georgetown, but heck, look at Nova, Xavier, Butler. Their are tons of freshmen on the floor in the Big East this year. Yes, it's down this year by as much as it's ever been, but that doesn't mean it's staying down. It's an elite conference and by all indications, over the next 3-4 years, it's going to be right where it always has been, a top 5 conference. This is only my take on it.

As for polls. Throw that away in college basketball. That's college football stuff. College basketball is ALL ABOUT the RPI and Strength of Schedule. The selection committee looks at stuff "within" the strength of schedule like road wins, SOS against the top 50, 100, etc, etc, but polls don't even enter the equation. An example, Rhode Island was ranked 25th in the coaches poll about 8 years ago and did not make the NCAA tournament.

As for Gonzaga and UVA. Both are fantastic and UVA is right there at elite level, but to define elite, is it good for 5 years or 10 or 20, etc. UVA is there now. They are elite and it looks like no sign of slouching off, but they haven't been good until recently, the last 4 or so years. Gonzaga has been very good for 20 years. But, something changed about 6-7 years ago with this program and it's now a top 5, top 10 elite program. It's literally 1 of the top 5 overall programs in America year in and year out. Again, I'm not talking about "this very year." I'm talking about long term. Why Gonzage right around the 5th best, and definitely top 10 overall year in and year out? Well, the "little school from the West that recruited 60th best and played it's way to great records and always making the tournament with the great coach" is what it was from about 98 to 2012, but look at Gonzaga's recruiting since then. Through the roof, elite level talent. No longer "all staters." They have guys leaving early for the NBA now like Sabonis, etc. Check this out, for 2019, Gonzaga has committments from 4 players. ALL 4 of them in the top 50 in the country. That's elite level folks. Is it Duke or Kentucky recruiting? Nope, but is it a very, very high level of recruiting? Heck yea, 4 of the top 50. That's elite. This is what Gonzaga has become and there's no sign they are going anywhere. You seen that in the game against Duke earlier in the year. Duke has a far greater chance of winning the dance this year as their freshmen gain more experience, but you could still see the clear-cut talent level Gonzaga had in the game. You could see 3 NBA players on the floor for Gonzaga, and they have that, 3 of their 5 starters will be drafted, and the 4 they have coming in next year are super-talented guys also. Gonzaga didn't have that 10 years ago. They had maybe one guy that could play in the NBA or be drafted late second round. Today's Gonzaga isn't the Gonzaga of 10 years ago.

We will have to agree to disagree on Gonzaga. I certainly think they benefit A LOT by their weak schedule. And if you admit that, then you also have to admit your contradiction with SOS and seeding. Gonzaga could win it all this year, that still won't change my opinion. Of course all of us, including the committee have biases. The top teams get the benefit of doubt. But just look at brackets recently and with their SOS, Gonzaga to me gets overrated. Just assume (as I cant remember) that they lose 1-2 conference games a year in last 10. You put them in ACC, they lose 3 or 4 times as many, in Big 10, SEC, Big 12, Big East, 2 to 3 times as many.

My opinion only, but its usually ends up that best team doesn't win it all. So Gonzaga winning it all or getting to Final 4 doesn't classify them as Top 10 team to me. Heck, if they were even in Pac 12 I may think differently. But through most of the season they get to coast, while it's a battle in the top conferences.

Gonzaga has benefited from it's IN conference weak schedule in overall wins and losses and it's also hurt Gonzaga some in seeding over the years because of their IN conference strength of schedule. As for a contradiction in strength of schedule and seeding, I haven't mentioned seeding, nor do I find a contradiction. The NCAA has clearly stated numerous times that RPI and the Strength of Schedule broken down into many forms as being huge weighing factors. That works both ways. It's helped Gonzaga as well because of their level of success in their out of conference schedule and the level of difficulty.

Gunz, I agree and think you are right on when it comes to Gonzaga's in conference schedule strength. There's no question, it is weak as he**. But, the NCAA selection committee is very good in that they don't just look at overall schedule strength, they look at who you played OUTSIDE of your conference, and what you did against the top 25, top 50, top 100, etc. Gonzaga plays among the very toughest in the United States outside of conference. It simply gets no tougher. I agree with you though, their OVERALL record wouldn't be nearly as good as it has been if they played in a tougher conference, but again, the talent level of Gonzaga right now, and the last few years, and for the near future is very, very high. Right now, on the roster, Gonzaga actually has a higher recruiting ranking per player than UVA. But, I can see how one could take into account the Zags overall strength of schedule within conference, but college basketball in unique in that you get to play up to 15 games outside of your conference and for years, Gonzaga hasn't just played one of the toughest out of conference schedules, they've done well against the Kansas's, Carolinas, Kentucky's and even Duke this year on many occasions. I think both Gonzaga and UVA are elite.

College basketball isn't college football. In college basketball, we actually get to see what happens if Alabama or Ohio State played Central Florida. In college basketball, it happens. A school like Villanova plays about 3-4 beasts LONG before it gets into its conference schedule, and this is where Gonzaga has more than helds its own, especially in the last 7-8 years, it's now actually out talenting other teams and when they don't out talent them, their talent level is not terribly far behind. Ask Duke earlier this year.

2,5,4,9 and 8. That's Gonzaga out of conference strength of schedule from 2018-19 season current season as the 2nd ranked in America SOS ranking, and going back 4 more years after this one, 5th, 4th, 9th, 8th. Additionally, college basketball isn't college football in that you get 4 out of conference games. You get about 13 of them. Gonzaga is no longer "playin em close" in these contests. They are actually winning about 3/4ths of them, and this is why the NCAA selection committee has given them some very high seeding the last few years. It's because there's a large sample size of what happens when they play other elite teams, and they are winning them. The ole argument that, "if this team were in that conference" doesn't have as much weight in college basketball like it does college football IF it's a team that plays the best out of conference. Gonzaga does that.

One final thing. I'm echoing the likes of Jay Bilas, Dicky V and even Coach K. All have stated Gonzaga is an elite program and Coach K stated that this very year in the press conference after Gonzaga beat them. Seth Greenberg has stated this probably 50-100 times on ESPN. What I'm getting at is, many of the pundits who would probably be considered experts have said the same about the Zags. When they say this, they give the reasons why such as not just overall wins and losses, but overall level of talent and what they do outside of the conference, coaching, etc. Multiple factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwhs95fan
Gonzaga has benefited from it's IN conference weak schedule in overall wins and losses and it's also hurt Gonzaga some in seeding over the years because of their IN conference strength of schedule. As for a contradiction in strength of schedule and seeding, I haven't mentioned seeding, nor do I find a contradiction. The NCAA has clearly stated numerous times that RPI and the Strength of Schedule broken down into many forms as being huge weighing factors. That works both ways. It's helped Gonzaga as well because of their level of success in their out of conference schedule and the level of difficulty.

Gunz, I agree and think you are right on when it comes to Gonzaga's in conference schedule strength. There's no question, it is weak as he**. But, the NCAA selection committee is very good in that they don't just look at overall schedule strength, they look at who you played OUTSIDE of your conference, and what you did against the top 25, top 50, top 100, etc. Gonzaga plays among the very toughest in the United States outside of conference. It simply gets no tougher. I agree with you though, their OVERALL record wouldn't be nearly as good as it has been if they played in a tougher conference, but again, the talent level of Gonzaga right now, and the last few years, and for the near future is very, very high. Right now, on the roster, Gonzaga actually has a higher recruiting ranking per player than UVA. But, I can see how one could take into account the Zags overall strength of schedule within conference, but college basketball in unique in that you get to play up to 15 games outside of your conference and for years, Gonzaga hasn't just played one of the toughest out of conference schedules, they've done well against the Kansas's, Carolinas, Kentucky's and even Duke this year on many occasions. I think both Gonzaga and UVA are elite.

College basketball isn't college football. In college basketball, we actually get to see what happens if Alabama or Ohio State played Central Florida. In college basketball, it happens. A school like Villanova plays about 3-4 beasts LONG before it gets into its conference schedule, and this is where Gonzaga has more than helds its own, especially in the last 7-8 years, it's now actually out talenting other teams and when they don't out talent them, their talent level is not terribly far behind. Ask Duke earlier this year.

2,5,4,9 and 8. That's Gonzaga out of conference strength of schedule from 2018-19 season current season as the 2nd ranked in America SOS ranking, and going back 4 more years after this one, 5th, 4th, 9th, 8th. Additionally, college basketball isn't college football in that you get 4 out of conference games. You get about 13 of them. Gonzaga is no longer "playin em close" in these contests. They are actually winning about 3/4ths of them, and this is why the NCAA selection committee has given them some very high seeding the last few years. It's because there's a large sample size of what happens when they play other elite teams, and they are winning them. The ole argument that, "if this team were in that conference" doesn't have as much weight in college basketball like it does college football IF it's a team that plays the best out of conference. Gonzaga does that.

One final thing. I'm echoing the likes of Jay Bilas, Dicky V and even Coach K. All have stated Gonzaga is an elite program and Coach K stated that this very year in the press conference after Gonzaga beat them. Seth Greenberg has stated this probably 50-100 times on ESPN. What I'm getting at is, many of the pundits who would probably be considered experts have said the same about the Zags. When they say this, they give the reasons why such as not just overall wins and losses, but overall level of talent and what they do outside of the conference, coaching, etc. Multiple factors.

I'm not questioning them being an elite team, just that part of the reason they are considered that was is the number of wins every year.

As for recruiting class rank, I don't put a high stock in that, as some don't pan out and some cant play together in the system. UVA doesn't have a huge recruiting class but look at their play. I'll put it like this, if ANYONE besides Dook wins the championship this year, then that proves that point as they have the best recruiting class ever. Top 3 players.

As far as the schedule, Gonzaga does play a tough OOC, but look at it for this particular year. 3 top flight teams, 1-2. And I would say at the moment they would be slated as a 2 seed. Partly because of where they started the year. Had a UNC played all teams the equivalent of Wofford, Davidson, etc in OOC, they still have a much tougher overall schedule. There are 2 teams in a STACKED ACC at present with a losing record. In looking at ACC, I think Gonzaga would around 6th. And the ironic thing is, if Gonzaga was in a conference like the ACC, they would have a better chance of winning it all (and not be lucky, still a great team but catching breaks). I can't think of the last time they played a truly meaningful game into the new year. A UVA, UNC, Duke team has an " easy" night with NC State or FSU.

And I guess we just look at things differently. As I see the overall SOS as weak, but still getting higher seeds. When if the roles were reversed, a lower seeded team would fare just as well. That is the contradiction I speak of. To look at it another way, from your own words, a team like East Rockingham just doesn't play the schedule as others so don't look at them the same.

But now I am curious. At present, Gonzaga SOS is 61. That obviously will go down. Last year was 133, and the WCC was better. For perspective, Northeastern had a tougher schedule. And more perspective from last year. New Mexico State was 144. 11 spots lower. Had 1 more loss. Gonzaga seeded 4, New Mexico State seeded 12.

That we agree on.

Just because I really got curious, I went at looked at projected seeds. You cant tell me that Gonzaga is deserving of a 2 seed over Marquette. GU has 1 more win, but at this time already has a lower SOS, and the gap will only widen. Simple reason, name and where they started. And even more shocking, Kansas with a lower seed. Now that one cant be contributed by name or beginning rank, but Kansas is #1 SOS. And with the snake format, not factoring in location and keeping teams away from each other, this is the top 12. 1. Tennessee 2. Duke 3. Virginia 4. Michigan State 5. Gonzaga 6. Michigan 7. Kentucky 8. UNC 9. Kansas 10. Kentucky 11. Marquette 12. Purdue

I would certainly have GU only ahead of Purdue

I'm not questioning them being an elite team, just that part of the reason they are considered that was is the number of wins every year.

As for recruiting class rank, I don't put a high stock in that, as some don't pan out and some cant play together in the system. UVA doesn't have a huge recruiting class but look at their play. I'll put it like this, if ANYONE besides Dook wins the championship this year, then that proves that point as they have the best recruiting class ever. Top 3 players.

As far as the schedule, Gonzaga does play a tough OOC, but look at it for this particular year. 3 top flight teams, 1-2. And I would say at the moment they would be slated as a 2 seed. Partly because of where they started the year. Had a UNC played all teams the equivalent of Wofford, Davidson, etc in OOC, they still have a much tougher overall schedule. There are 2 teams in a STACKED ACC at present with a losing record. In looking at ACC, I think Gonzaga would around 6th. And the ironic thing is, if Gonzaga was in a conference like the ACC, they would have a better chance of winning it all (and not be lucky, still a great team but catching breaks). I can't think of the last time they played a truly meaningful game into the new year. A UVA, UNC, Duke team has an " easy" night with NC State or FSU.

And I guess we just look at things differently. As I see the overall SOS as weak, but still getting higher seeds. When if the roles were reversed, a lower seeded team would fare just as well. That is the contradiction I speak of. To look at it another way, from your own words, a team like East Rockingham just doesn't play the schedule as others so don't look at them the same.

But now I am curious. At present, Gonzaga SOS is 61. That obviously will go down. Last year was 133, and the WCC was better. For perspective, Northeastern had a tougher schedule. And more perspective from last year. New Mexico State was 144. 11 spots lower. Had 1 more loss. Gonzaga seeded 4, New Mexico State seeded 12.

They had some tough games when St. Mary's was good, but that's the only time I can remember them playing ranked teams in conference in recent years.
Everyone talking about Gonzaga, but don't sleep on Nevada. They could be the best team out west this year, they're legit very good.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Just because I really got curious, I went at looked at projected seeds. You cant tell me that Gonzaga is deserving of a 2 seed over Marquette. GU has 1 more win, but at this time already has a lower SOS, and the gap will only widen. Simple reason, name and where they started. And even more shocking, Kansas with a lower seed. Now that one cant be contributed by name or beginning rank, but Kansas is #1 SOS. And with the snake format, not factoring in location and keeping teams away from each other, this is the top 12. 1. Tennessee 2. Duke 3. Virginia 4. Michigan State 5. Gonzaga 6. Michigan 7. Kentucky 8. UNC 9. Kansas 10. Kentucky 11. Marquette 12. Purdue

I would certainly have GU only ahead of Purdue

I'd take the Zags over Marquette, they have a better win, they don't lose to bad teams and the Big East isn't a gauntlet, it's not like the difference between ACC or Big 10 and the WCC. But I see your argument on a numbers basis but on the eye test, this year, the Zags are one of the better and more complete teams in nation.

They had some tough games when St. Mary's was good, but that's the only time I can remember them playing ranked teams in conference in recent years.
Everyone talking about Gonzaga, but don't sleep on Nevada. They could be the best team out west this year, they're legit very good.

I know they had those games against St. Mary, but I still don't consider that a truly meaningful game. That's playing a good team, but the point I was making is that they aren't facing teams capable of winning for 3 months.

And only reason I am talking Gonzaga is because I think they are elevated year after year because of their record, and smaller extent playing their top games early in the year where others who aren't thought of as highly have grueling schedules down the stretch. Look at a team like Syracuse recently. Barely got in because of a nasty schedule, final 4 team. Switch schedules, Syracuse may have lost a few OOC games, but dominate conference.

I'd take the Zags over Marquette, they have a better win, they don't lose to bad teams and the Big East isn't a gauntlet, it's not like the difference between ACC or Big 10 and the WCC. But I see your argument on a numbers basis but on the eye test, this year, the Zags are one of the better and more complete teams in nation.

I'm certainly not a basketball savant, so you could certainly be right. I haven't seen anything on either but highlights. But that good win, Dook, well then Syracuse should be high. I'll put it this way, and maybe I just look at it wrong, but if that Duke win came recently, I take more stock into it.

I'll use a sport I am more familiar with. Everyone hates the Patriots. One of the famous talks about them is the easy division, which helps them get a bye. They dont have to play their best each week. They can focus their attention to the top teams they play. Isnt that easier for Gonzaga?

While Gonzaga may have the best win, certainly anything more impressive than Marquette, but if it's your team, who would you rather face, Saint John's and Seton Hall or San Francisco and San Diego?

I also wasn't saying Marquette was better. I honestly have no clue, and wouldn't even pretend to know. But with the argument of SOS, record, etc it seems off. And while not as good of a win, Marquette has wins over Louisville, Buffalo, Kansas State, Wisconsin. Marquette has 2 blowout losses and a single digit loss. Both of Gonzaga losses are to top 10 teams, one 3 points, one by 13. But I don't see a 2nd good win.

Again though, and I don't mean it sarcastically, you guys probably know more about it than me

Hey guys, what about the Cougars? Yeah, I'm partial as I'm LDS, but no love for my boys in Provo for the West Coast Conf? As for the Zags, they had an article on being the most polarizing team in college hoops 2 years ago. Google that one. It's a good read. Gunz, as for Marquette, nasty nasty, and more nasty. They got shooters and their guard will be up for player of the year.

Gonzaga is legit again. This year, God awful talent. Inside, outside, and the guard has only played about one half of the season who is their best player. But, I got the Durham Devils cutting the nets down and Vegas says so, but.......guess what the big money says is number 2 to win it all for Vegas future odds? It's Gonzaga. Marquette was 13th. I got Marquette going to the final 8 and playing a 50/50 game to get to the final four. I think they are that good if healthy.

Speaking of Georgetown. They won again tonight and are 14-7. They have 10 regular season games left. I thought they were an NIT team at best, but hold tight. They've won 3 in a row and if they can pull 7 of 10 wins and finish up 21-10, they will be flirting with the bubble if they get the right combo of wins. Of the 10 games left, they have Nova two times, in Milwaukee at Marquette, and St John's and Creighton.

Speaking of Georgetown. They won again tonight and are 14-7. They have 10 regular season games left. I thought they were an NIT team at best, but hold tight. They've won 3 in a row and if they can pull 7 of 10 wins and finish up 21-10, they will be flirting with the bubble if they get the right combo of wins. Of the 10 games left, they have Nova two times, in Milwaukee at Marquette, and St John's and Creighton.

They will need to beat Nova and Marquette both, GTown lacks quadrant 1 wins and has no real OOC scalps to hang their hats. They lack the quality wins that other bubble teams, like Alabama or Texas or Arizona State have.

Here’s hoping that Georgetown gets in and plays VT in the first round.
honestly if GT does somehow make the tourney, that could be a matchup they see in a 6-11 matchup if Tech doesn't have a monster year in conference and get a 3-4 seed. GT could only get in with a crazy scenario and likely as a play-in team and they would face a team like Tech or Auburn or someone like that, not good matchup for GT with such a green set of guards and only one inside threat.

Here’s hoping that Georgetown gets in and plays VT in the first round.

Tech smashed ND State today, held them to 24 points....total!
They sit at 12, could be a top ten team, so there's really no way I see them potentially matching up without some craziness.

Tech smashed ND State today, held them to 24 points....total!
They sit at 12, could be a top ten team, so there's really no way I see them potentially matching up without some craziness.
I was just being quizzical. Only reason I would want to see that match up is to follow all the posts leading up to and following it.

I guess recruiting class rank means nothing when it comes to championship.

Duke with that best class ever with the top 3 players and 4 of top 16 didn't even make Final 4. And should have lost to UCF and VT.

What was the difference, all 4 teams left are experienced. And in my opinion, the lack of close games hurt Gonzaga, just like I thought. Michigan State and Kentucky at the least should have been seeded higher than Gonzaga

I guess recruiting class rank means nothing when it comes to championship.

Duke with that best class ever with the top 3 players and 4 of top 16 didn't even make Final 4. And should have lost to UCF and VT.

What was the difference, all 4 teams left are experienced. And in my opinion, the lack of close games hurt Gonzaga, just like I thought. Michigan State and Kentucky at the least should have been seeded higher than Gonzaga

UT should have been the last 1seed

Well recruiting ranks, no not much. Duke was the biggest favorite in history, had the top class ever and should have lost to UCF.

Who was the last top ranked recruiting team to win a championship?
I

maybe UK with Anthony Davis? Or Duke in 2015?

I

maybe UK with Anthony Davis? Or Duke in 2015?

I was thinking Kentucky too. But it usually doesn't happen.

The point I was trying to make is that just having a high class doesn't constitute a championship. The biggest reason to me is that a lot of these teams with top classes have 1 and done players while a team like UVA plays together multiple years.

And I posted after it was over because I made the statement that if Duke didn't win with the top class ever then that proved it.

I think recruiting rankings 1st came up because I said something about Gonzaga. Someone said something about them having high rank classes recently. I think that was proven as well. If they actually played a meaningful game in last 4 months maybe their outcome changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT