ADVERTISEMENT

Giles Spartans.

I'm not trying to be combative - just throwing my 2 cents out there. I have never personally seen where a scheme a kid played in affected his recruiting. Coaches are very thorough in evaluating players before making an offer and take many factors into consideration. I just hate to think a kid would transfer schools because he thinks playing in a certain system is going to help his recruiting.

A kid going to a larger school to play against better competition or going to a school that has produced college talent over the years are definitely factors that impact recruiting. But kids playing in a certain scheme - don't believe that to be true because during my 26 years as a coach - I never one time saw it as any sort of determining factor in a college coach deciding whether or not to offer a kid. But I guess because I didn't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

NoVaKane, of the 10 schools approximate that ran the single wing, I think 4 of those were in Va, and 6 in the rest of the country. Being a former coach, I'm sure you know that the wing T and single wing aren't the same. The wing T offers much more formations requiring zone blocking even during a run play and the ability to throw out of the wing T is much more forgiving. Stone Bridge and their single wing (I watched them 2 times while living in Front Royal) and their single wing had far more passing plays or attempts than what Giles has. Stone Bridge on the run plays were all single wing, but they also would offer pro set, some trips formations in which the QB would drop straight back and throw. The state title Stone Bridge teams were so efficient they didn't need to throw much, but they still threw the ball far more than what Giles has/does. Giles truly is a true single wing and single wing formation 95%+ for all offensive plays ran. This is why I mentioned Giles as a true exception. Recruiters really do have absolutely zero film to assess his pass blocking ability and when Giles does pass, you can bet the rush or blitz (if the defense does so) is coming opposite of him as they aren't going to challenge.

I agree that the type of offense and scheme doesn't effect a kids recruiting 99.99999 percent of the time, but this truly is that one exception when talking about Giles. Additionally, I'm not sure he's transferring to Graham simply to have a better opportunity to be recruited. He may be transferring because Graham just won the state title and will likely be the favorite and early season number 1 AA team with a solid chance to repeat. I agree with you that measurables are a huge part of recruiting nowadays and they should be. One summer camp can give recruiters a 40 time, lateral shuttle, etc., which can assess a kids "feet". Also, their strength can be assessed, and with our interconnected world and ease of which kids can attempt a camp, this has actually helped some kids in rural areas across the country that in some situations, would not have been noticed 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. The kid from Graham having multiple Div 1 offers as a true freshmen is a perfect example of what camps and allowing the assessment of measurables can do for a kid in a rural area in recruiting. If the year is 1999 or even 2009, the kid from Graham would not have had multiple Div 1 offers in the 9th grade. The same applies for the kid at Ridgeview who had multiple Div 1 offers as a 10th grader.

Last edited:
NoVaKane, of the 10 schools approximate that ran the single wing, I think 4 of those were in Va, and 6 in the rest of the country. Being a former coach, I'm sure you know that the wing T and single wing aren't the same. The wing T offers much more formations requiring zone blocking even during a run play and the ability to throw out of the wing T is much more forgiving. Stone Bridge and their single wing (I watched them 2 times while living in Front Royal) and their single wing had far more passing plays or attempts than what Giles has. Stone Bridge on the run plays were all single wing, but they also would offer pro set, some trips formations in which the QB would drop straight back and throw. The state title Stone Bridge teams were so efficient they didn't need to throw much, but they still threw the ball far more than what Giles has/does. Giles truly is a true single wing and single wing formation 95%+ for all offensive plays ran. This is why I mentioned Giles as a true exception. Recruiters really do have absolutely zero film to assess his pass blocking ability and when Giles does pass, you can bet the rush or blitz (if the defense does so) is coming opposite of him as they aren't going to challenge.

I agree that the type of offense and scheme doesn't effect a kids recruiting 99.99999 percent of the time, but this truly is that one exception when talking about Giles. Additionally, I'm not sure he's transferring to Graham simply to have a better opportunity to be recruited. He may be transferring because Graham just won the state title and will likely be the favorite and early season number 1 AA team with a solid chance to repeat. I agree with you that measurables are a huge part of recruiting nowadays and they should be. One summer camp can give recruiters a 40 time, lateral shuttle, etc., which can assess a kids "feet". Also, their strength can be assessed, and with our interconnected world and ease of which kids can attempt a camp, this has actually helped some kids in rural areas across the country that in some situations, would not have been noticed 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. The kid from Graham having multiple Div 1 offers as a true freshmen is a perfect example of what camps and allowing the assessment of measurables can do for a kid in a rural area in recruiting. If the year is 1999 or even 2009, the kid from Graham would not have had multiple Div 1 offers in the 9th grade. The same applies for the kid at Ridgeview who had multiple Div 1 offers as a 10th grader.

No formation "requires zone blocking".

I'm not trying to be combative - just throwing my 2 cents out there. I have never personally seen where a scheme a kid played in affected his recruiting. Coaches are very thorough in evaluating players before making an offer and take many factors into consideration. I just hate to think a kid would transfer schools because he thinks playing in a certain system is going to help his recruiting.

A kid going to a larger school to play against better competition or going to a school that has produced college talent over the years are definitely factors that impact recruiting. But kids playing in a certain scheme - don't believe that to be true because during my 26 years as a coach - I never one time saw it as any sort of determining factor in a college coach deciding whether or not to offer a kid. But I guess because I didn't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

All I think he was saying is that it could be a single factor if there are 2 prospects that a school is comparing. Not that it is the main factor, and not that it always happens. There are also cases where it certainly doesn't happen. I believe I even put something above that would show how it doesn't matter in a lot of cases.

Now it may not have been your intent, but you kind of seemed a little combative in a previous message when you point blank said something was wrong. Not in my opinion, but it came of as a fact. Maybe that is where the thinking of combative came from?

No formation "requires zone blocking".

At no point in the post did I write, "no formation requires zone blocking." Those are your words and I'm assuming you agree with the other 99% of the post. If you have watched Stone Bridge and Giles, you would know that many of the Stone Bridge teams that won state titles with the superstar that went to Penn St would have wide open sets and he would drop straight back on many 3rd and longs and pass out of 2 or 3 wide sets. And Yes, far more zone blocking in the Stone Bridge offenses compared to Giles and I think you should know that "coach." Yes, much more zone blocking schemes out of the wing T compared to the single wing. Watch Goochland and Graham online in the title game or online versus East Rockingham and watch how many times Goochland zone blocks in both games out of their classic wing T. You arent going to see zone blocking in a single wing and thats a huge difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19GHS87
You wrote, "the Wing-T roffers much more formations that requiring zone blocking" and I was just pointing out that that no formations "require" you to zone block. Lining up in a formation doesn't mean you have to zone block out of it.

If the Penn State star your talking about is Trace McSorley - he didn't play at Stone Bridge. Maybe you are referencing another player from Stone Bridge that is a super star at Penn State.

My whole point with the Wing-T was in response to the comment that college coaches want players that play in "their system". I was just pointing out that since no Power 5 teams run the Wing-T that would mean they would not recruit a kid that plays in the Wing-T. I'm just going off of what others are posting.

Blocking schemes aren't something really worth arguing on here - but I will watch the Graham and Goochland game and get back to you on their use of zone blocking out of the Wing-T.

You wrote, "the Wing-T roffers much more formations that requiring zone blocking" and I was just pointing out that that no formations "require" you to zone block. Lining up in a formation doesn't mean you have to zone block out of it.

If the Penn State star your talking about is Trace McSorley - he didn't play at Stone Bridge. Maybe you are referencing another player from Stone Bridge that is a super star at Penn State.

My whole point with the Wing-T was in response to the comment that college coaches want players that play in "their system". I was just pointing out that since no Power 5 teams run the Wing-T that would mean they would not recruit a kid that plays in the Wing-T. I'm just going off of what others are posting.

Blocking schemes aren't something really worth arguing on here - but I will watch the Graham and Goochland game and get back to you on their use of zone blocking out of the Wing-T.

I agree about requiring zone blocking. Should have wrote, much more favorable opportunities to zone block, or simply put, you will see more zone blocking with the wing T compared to the single wing. The reason is, zone blocking is simply to create movement on the DL, yet the OL is still not downfield and driving their defended 7 yards off the ball, thus you can pass out of this type of blocking much easier with a wing T. With the single wing, they aren't creating movement, little to no stretch or outside zone blocking. This is all I'm getting at. I saw Burns 3 or 4 games and meant to write Stanford. Speaking of McSorley, I got to see him once in the state title game at Briar Woods.

Blocking schemes can be complex and no need to hash the point into the ground, but the blocking schemes for the given play for the given down for the given situation/time in the game is often what separates teams that run the wing T, as the blocking schemes are not cookie cutter and the same for each team. It plays a huge part in the outcome of the game. Goochland loves to do outside zone and stretches out of their wing T. In watching the East Rockingham and Goochland game online, check out how many times Goochland outside zone blocks (off tackle) out of their wing t against East Rock, then East Rock would rotate in and shift, and Goochland hits em with an outside (stretch) zone blocking scheme that gets 10 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT