ADVERTISEMENT

GIRLS Championship: Hampton 75 Pulaski County 65 - FINAL

Fq0HzdoaMAAMU6c

Halftime Box: Hampton 45, Pulaski County 25. VHSL Class 4 Girls State Championship Game.

End 3Q Box: Hampton 57, Pulaski County 46. VHSL Girls Class 4 State Championship Game.

Fq0RbZ3aEAEy7b8

5:38 left 3Q: Pulaski County continues to edge closer. Hannah Keefer with a rebound and basket cuts the Hampton lead to 59-53 over Pulaski County.

3:06 left 3Q: huge basket for Kennedy Harris to put the Crabbers in front 63-56 as they try to hold off a furious Pulaski County second half surge.

1:56 left 4Q: Hannah Keefer with the layup for Pulaski County. Hampton 67, Pulaski County 58.

(Coach Frank tweets)

Final, VHSL Class 4 Girls State Championship Game: Hampton 75, Pulaski County 63.

This was an entertaining game. Pulaski has a very good team..they just didn't have an answer for Kennedy Harris. She kinda reminds me of Godiva Hubbard. Harris had 35. She almost half of Hampton's points. She's a smooth ball handler along with some very good shooting skills.

Reactions: pizzzzza
This was an entertaining game. Pulaski has a very good team..they just didn't have an answer for Kennedy Harris. She kinda reminds me of Godiva Hubbard. Harris had 35. She almost half of Hampton's points. She's a smooth ball handler along with some very good shooting skills.
She has a very good touch when she shoots the ball - I was watching her form and follow through on her free throws (8 of 8)

Reactions: AntGZee
Congratulations to Hampton on winning the
Class 4 Girls Basketball Championship

Fq0Xj1_acAEJDf4
Fq0XlebacAAmpmS

Congrats to Hampton on the state championship. They came out hot and Pulaski had to figure out some things. Pulaski could have folded in the second half being down 20, but got it to within 5 with around 4 or 5 minutes left. Great, entertaining game.

Congratulations to Hampton on winning the State Championship. Our girls from Pulaski County fought hard and left it all out on the court, so they have nothing to hang their heads about. As Coach Ratcliff said, changing up the defense in the second quarter was a mistake and allowed Harris to get hot. Once they realized the mistake and adjusted, it was too late and she couldn't seem to miss. Our girls kept battling back, but in the end we just came up short to a great team. I'd love to see us play them a few more times, just for the entertainment value of it all. Click this LINK to see pics from the game.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible weekend for Southwest Virginia. The Carroll County girls and Northside boys brought home State titles. The Pulaski County girls and George Wythe boys came up short but put in solid efforts. Patrick Henry lost a heartbreaker in the final seconds. A little further out from SWVA, EC Glass lost a nailbiter to Varina.

There's a lot of talk about the Radford vs John Marshall game. Do I think what John Marshall has put together is the best team in the state? Yes, I think they'd beat any team at any level they play. Do I think they should be considered a private school team and put in with the other private schools due to the amount of recruiting they clearly do (even if it's done in a way that is not a VHSL violation)? Yes. Will there be a change? I don't think so. The can of worms has been opened and you can't get all that mess back in the can now without major changes.

With that said, I'm also not a fan of the whole "my kid is going to such and such school next year so they'll have a better shot at a scholarship or championship." The college transfer portal, in my opinion, has opened a can of worms where parents (notice I didn't say students) have it in their heads that they can take little Bobby or little Sally to a different school every other year just to get them more exposure or a better shot at college.

Parents and social media are, in my opinion, the worst two things to ever happen to high school sports. And as much as I know that AAU and travel sports can offer a student more opportunities to play, grow, and improve, I also think that in the end, it will be the reason we lose rec league, middle school, and high school sports completely. There is no loyalty or honor left in some parents. There is no hometown pride. It's all about them and their kid, nothing else.

I believe that the VHSL allowing all sports to play and practice year round is also a big part of the problem. It was all done to give everyone a level playing field with football, but the only sport that CAN'T play year round is ... football. So now little Johnny or Sally has to play (insert sport here) all year if they want to be competitive with everyone else, meaning they may have to give up playing that other sport they love. For some of the smaller schools, that's a costly price to pay when the athletes aren't there to help the team.

Just some thoughts to ponder as I sit and wonder how many (insert school here) athletes will wear a different uniform next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT