ADVERTISEMENT

Gladiators Hold Off Stubborn Bulldogs 59-55

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Riverheads picked up its fourth win of the young season but it was by far the toughest one as a determined Luray Bulldog team would not go away and kept firing up three pointers to stay in the game, including one final 25 footer that stripped the net at the horn to make the game seem maybe a tad closer than it really was. The Gladiators held as much as a 12-point lead in the fourth quarter before the final Luray surge made it more respectable.

Once again balanced scoring was the key to the win and most of it came from the Big Red's senior leadership as two guys scored in double figures and three others narrowly missed it. Grant Painter led the way with 15 points followed by 10 from Zach Adams. Fellow seniors Elijah Dunlap and Honor Robinson were not far behind with 9 and 8 points respectively.

However it was a pair of underclassmen who came through with some of the most important contributions of the evening. Junior Adam Painter, who had missed Saturday's win over James River due to illness, played sparingly tonight but his only points of the game, a three-pointer from the left wing midway through the third quarter snapped a 37-37 tie and put the Gladiators ahead to stay.

Then sophomore reserve guard Ryan Farris came to life and knocked in eight quick points to give the Gladiators some breathing room. They led 44-37 after three quarters and never allowed the Dogs to get within single possession striking distance. Senior Deacon Moore scored the other 6 points for the Gladiators, all in the first half.

Riverheads will be seriously tested if they hope to remain unbeaten with road trips scheduled for Thursday night at Parry McCluer and Friday night at Waynesboro. Those two will be challenging because the Blues have a way of getting inside your head and making you play their game and Waynesboro is a fellow unbeaten and reportedly has some serious size, which Riverheads may have trouble matching. It will not be out of the question for the Gladiators to be 6-0 by the end of this week, but it will be a tall order.

Saving the strangest news for last...........it is not often that the JV game on any given night is worthy of the most coverage, but the one we saw tonight at Riverheads got inexcusably out of control before the Gladiators held on to win 50-46 in overtime.

Luray came out strong and controlled the entire first half. In fact a steal and breakaway layup by Michael King that made it 24-23 at the break was RHS' only first-half lead. The teams then traded buckets in the third quarter until a seven-point Gladiator spurt pushed them to their largest lead of the night at 35-28 and it appeared that they were ready to seal the deal.

But Luray's Lebron Payton hit his third or fourth long-distance trey with 9 seconds left to tie the game at 39. That is when things got really interesting......

The players got caught up in the moment and lined up for the overtime session facing in the wrong directions. Well these are kids and we can cut them some slack but the two dudes with the whistles around their necks should have known better. But nobody caught it in time and they tipped off anyway for an extra four minute session. (On the TeeVee they like to call it "free basketball.")

A Riverheads player then scored in what was supposed to be the Luray basket with just eight seconds run off the clock. Which created a major incident that took at least ten minutes to sort out.

Was the basket supposed to count for Riverheads? Or was it their bad luck and the two points were going to stay on the Bulldog side? Were we supposed to set the clock back to four minutes and start over? As the referees tried to calm the two frustrated coaches, at least half a dozen or more fans were on their feet yelling out their suggestions at full volume about how best to resolve the issue.

The final decision was made to wipe the bucket off the boards, reset the clock, and start from scratch at 4 minutes. Later in the hallway even a Luray manager was heard to say that he agreed that was the right call.

Once play resumed, the Gladiators pretty much controlled the overtime and one of the highlight reel plays was a coast-to-coast driving lay-up by the Big Red's burly Noah Williams, who temporarily decided to be a guard. That key bucket made it 46-41. Tempers then flared one more time in the final seconds when many Riverheads fans thought a Luray player should be T'd up for trying to kick his way out of a jump ball situation.

Fortunately play ended soon after that, the Gladiator Juniors raised their season record to 2-2, and the varsity game, which would turn out to be tame by comparison, started soon thereafter. Most fans probably made it home in time to see the most important parts of the UVa game and the better-than-expected effort that they put forth in the Orange Bowl. By the time some of you read this review, we will know how our "other" state team does in their bowl game against the Kentucky Wildcats.

Last edited:
JV overtime is half the quarter time .. so 3:30

Point the teams in the right direction and keep the score and the time run off after the screw up is realized.

WOW

I was surprised by the OT incident as well since I was less than 15 feet from the official that pointed to the baskets and indicated to the players who was going where. The opposite official is the one that made the call and even when they talked he was shaking his head as if to say he didn't care what was said before the tip, he was just sure he was right and there was no other input really needed. Right wrong or indifferent, points were scored and both teams were aware at that point as to where they were told to go based off of the officials directions. In my mind it was a cop out and should have counted for the Gladiators and play resume but with the teams properly aligned. I promise if a kid from Luray had thought he was going to score for them he would not have tried to defend as he did. Silly I know but these refs are not pros and mistakes happen. On another note, I was impressed at times with the play of the Varsity team but there are some weaknesses that need to be addressed if they hope to contend come playoff time. At this point in the young season they are not where they were last year IMO but have plenty of pieces that can get them there. They are not tall by any stretch but have enough length and defensive prowess to trouble the bulk of players they will face. It should be an interesting end of the week to tune in for.

The Gladiators are in the same position they find themselves in this time every year.........two weeks ago we were still playing football and Coach Coffey had no choice but to wait. Then when he does get his entire team back, instead of having a couple or three weeks of scrimmage and/or practice...boom! it is time for the first few games of the season. So I am actually impressed at their start considering that situation. After they finish these two games this week, they will have a full week of practice before their next game on Saturday the 11th and I am sure that will be quite beneficial.

Some of that OT controversy is on both coaches as well as the officials. The coaches should have noticed that the teams were facing the wrong goals before the tip-off.

I can't argue with that. In fact when you think you had 10 players, two refs, two coaches, and two or three folks at the scorer's table, it should have been obvious to somebody. At the same time I have always admired anybody who can get out on that floor in front of a bunch of people and perform ANY task at all. I am not sure I could have ever done it, which is why I do all my work on here!!!

I did notice it myself before the tip, but I am not one of those people who chooses to yell from the stands so I just assumed that somebody would catch it before anything happened. All things considered I think it was handled appropriately and worked out for the best.

Last year or the year before, same thing happened at Skyline to start overtime for Varsity girls game. I was doing the P.A. announcing. I turned to the newspaper reporter next to me, confirmed that they were facing the wrong way, but did not feel comfortable telling the refs, players, and everyone else over the P.A. that they were doing it wrong while live action was going on. They were a few possessions before one team scored. Then a long break and discussion to figure out what to do. The scoring team got to keep their points in the wrong basket. They switched directions and continued from there.

There have been issues where the possession arrow has not switched, and I want to scream over the P.A. that the wrong team is getting the ball, but again, not really my place. It would be easier to point these things out if I announced courtside instead of from a pressbox.

https://www.nfhs.org/media/1018426/2019-scorers-timers-sheets.pdf

2. Overtime Play: a. If the score is tied at the end of the second half, play shall continue without change of baskets for one or more extra periods, with a one-minute intermission before each. b. The length of each extra period shall be four minutes (or half the time of a regulation quarter for non-varsity contests). c. As many such extra periods as are needed to break the tie shall be played. Game ends, if, at end of any extra period, the score is not tied. d. Extra periods are an extension of the fourth quarter

The VHSL handbook says that all National Federation rules apply. So this is the answer.

Wow! First of all who knew that there would be so much information available about this topic??? I continue to be amazed by both the internet and the knowledge of you guys on here!

These two posts however discuss different angles of the situation. Schoolboard has given us a VERY clear interpretation of the correct time limit that should have been put on the clock as well as which basket the teams should have been facing. So in this (Riverheads/Luray) case, clearly they should have continued to operate at their same baskets and the overtime period should have been 3:30 instead of 4:00.

The link that Monty provided tells us more about what should or should not have been done about the two points that were scored in the wrong basket. There is a tremendous amount of discussion in that link (and I admit I did not read all of it) but the impression I now have is that it was the officials' responsibility to line them up correctly and since they clearly lined them up wrong in this case, it was their mistake and no one else's and therefore neither team should have been punished. So that would mean that in this recent case, they did the right thing by starting over again, except for the amount of time that should have been put on the clock.

However, if a player scores in the wrong basket strictly through his own fault, then the points should be awarded to the opposing team. I have seen that happen a few times over the years and the points ALWAYS stayed on the side of the team whose basket he scored in. But that was not the case here.

So this has been an interesting discussion and thanks for your various inputs. But since the Gladiators swing back into action in about five hours from now and again tomorrow night, I suspect this topic will be replaced by whatever happens in some of those games. Never a dull moment you know!!!

Thank you! 3:30 on clock! actual reference is 5-7-3

NO YOU DONT START OVER ... support for this exact situation is found in Rule 4-5-4

If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed must count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play must resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.

#actualrules

Last edited:
Reactions: MCAthletics
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT