ADVERTISEMENT

Gladiators Smash Page 63-15

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
There was a TON of excitement in Page County tonight and some of it was even related to football, but we will get back to that in a minute.

The big event was some sort of "guy with a gun" incident that started an hour or so before kickoff in the town of Shenandoah. As most of you know, to get from Riverheads to PCHS, you have to go through that town. So the story was just developing as most of us came through town, but it escalated and fans were hardly able to concentrate on the game, as every law enforcement vehicle within a 50-mile radius roared by the stadium at breakneck speed.

It was still an ongoing thing by the end of the game, so the PA announcer strongly encouraged (even ordered) RHS fans to take the alternate route home by going north on 340 to 211 and over to New Market, which really wasn't that much of an inconvenience. So tune in to your local media if interested to learn more about the outcome of that situation. Last we heard, no one was actually injured.

OK back to the game. As if the gun story wasn't enough of a distraction, yours truly was a tad late to the game due to a combination of construction on Rt. 33, the required Log Cabin Bar b q stop, and a couple of slowpokes on that diagonal road that connects 33 to 340. I still got there by the 9:00 minute mark of the first quarter, but I still missed the first two RHS touchdowns, which gives you an idea of how quickly the Big Red took charge of this one.

My posse tells me that I missed a wide open 36 yard touchdown pass from Chase Armstrong to Brett Hostetler, followed by a 37 yard QB gallop right up the middle by Armstrong himself. So it was 14-0 by the time I made it to the bleachers. Kicker Rinaldo Martina would go on to have a perfect 9 for 9 evening by the way.

But what I did see almost immediately were back-to-back Page turnovers very deep in their own territory, both of which RHS turned into quick scores. It is not easy to throw an interception at your own 3 yard line and fumble at your own 13, but the Panthers did both, and Harrison Schaefer ran it in for the score on the very first play after each turnover. Those two TDs turned out be his last action of the night as the Gladiators amazingly had a 28-0 lead with over half the first quarter still remaining.

It got worse for the Homecoming crowd as Hostetler broke loose for another long TD and seconds later, after yet another Panther mistake, Dalton Jordan scored an easy one also, as the lead ballooned to 42-0, with time still left in the first.

Although it may not have been obvious to the Page crowd, Riverheads pulled its starters on the very first series of the second quarter and it became an "everybody gets to play" evening for the Big Red. That led to two more scores, a nice 50-yard dance down the right sideline by Jackson Shover and a nine-yard QB keeper by back-up Tyler Smith.

Those scores made it 56-0, still with plenty of time left before the halftime festivities, but Page finally had something to cheer about as they scored and added the two-point conversion before the break to take away some of the sting.

The second half of course featured the running clock, which was much appreciated, since the first half had dragged out. Each team only produced one more score, a 45-yard dash up the middle by Riverheads speedster Devin Morris and an equally impressive gallop in the fourth by the Panthers' Heizer.

That gave us the final score although each team came within a gnat's eyelash of scoring again. Riverheads could have easily hit the 70 point mark after a 28-yard run by Jaden Phillips put them on the 1 yard line. But even though there were nearly four minutes left, the Big Red took the high road and intentionally took a series of delay of game penalties and kneel downs so as to avoid scoring again.

That gave Page one final chance and they almost capitalized on it. First they had the longest play of the night by either team with a 65-yard pass over the middle that carried down to the Riverheads' 10. They only had one more down to produce a third TD before the final horn, but RHS stopped them on the 5 and the visiting fans, if they followed instructions, headed UP Rt. 340 instead of down as they normally would have, no doubt satisfied with their big win.

So not your conventional night of football by any stretch, but the Gladiators are now 7-0 and will host Wilson next week for Senior Night. I believe Page's next two games take them to Stuarts Draft and Buffalo Gap, but I am not sure in what order. They then also get to host Wilson for Senior Night on November 4th.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmqp
They made you guys their homecoming game?? Wow, great choice Page! Smh!!

I kept editing, mmqp, in case you want to see my final draft. I thought the same thing......why wouldn't they have had Luray last week for Homecoming?

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Money. And I as a former athletic administrator agree with the decision.

1. You don't schedule Luray as your HC opponent because it kills another possible gate you can get later.

2. You don't play your HC game in weeks 1 or 2.

3. Your Senior Night is the last game. Another gate.

4. Last time I checked, the Heads was the only option.

So, while we got pummeled, we took a nice check to the bank.

Last edited:
And while I'm at it, let me address the "some sort of guy with a gun incident". Before we make light of this on this forum, let me say the "some sort of guy" referenced above lives next door to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and that as I type this, my two nephews are sleeping on the couch next to me. The incident ended at about 2:30 this morning with thankfully no one getting hurt. My wife was a wreck most of the evening as was my other sister-in-law. My brother-in-law is one of the "some sort of guy's" best friends and my cousin is a fellow Civil War re-enactor with him. He served this country during the Iraq conflict and has been diagnosed with PTSD. I don't get offended very easily, but the wording in the first paragraph is offensive to me.

As far as the game was concerned. Coach Casto scored whenever and however he wanted and had he wanted, he could have hit 100(in the first half probably) . I think Page fans are smart enough to know that he started subbing pretty liberally at about 28-0 in the first quarter. The "B" team tacked on a couple of scores and they took volunteers from the stands to finish up the night.

The important part of the night is that no one on either team had any major injuries, that both teams played clean and hard, and that my niece, Bailey Dallas, was named Homecoming Queen at halftime- just like her mother (my sister) was in 1990. Oh, and tonight was my 7 1/2 month old son's first football game.

For those of you who might wonder, Riverheads DOES punt the football and he's a GOOD one. Galax must have been LOADED to shut out the 'Heads for 45 plus minutes last year and whoever beats Riverheads- if anyone does- had better bring their A+++ game with them.

Last edited:
I can assure you that Longtimer meant no offense with what he said. Keep in mind that as this type of thing is happening, 99.999% of us have no clue who the person is. I hope this Man gets the help that he needs. I'm sure everyone else that posts on here feels the same as well. Thankfully no one got hurt.

I have been tied up with a high school reunion all day and then watching the games I taped so this is the first chance I have had to be on the forum today. I do apologize if Pawfan thought I was making light of the situation. As mmqp said, that was not my intention. Whenever I write one of my reviews, I always endeavor to do so in such a way that makes the reader feel as if they were there. So in this case, I was trying to paint the picture of how unusual it was to be at a high school football game and have 20-30 or more emergency vehicles rushing by.

I'll go on record as agreeing with everything that pawfan said. Was told that the individual served 16 months in Iraq, when all of the mess first started over there. 99% of us will have no idea what this man saw over there.

And yes, we scheduled Riverheads for Homecoming. Like pawfan said, you don't schedule Luray for Homecoming. Luray already brings in a huge gate. So you use the Riverheads game. They tried having Homecoming the 2nd game of the year last year. It sucked being that early.

Reactions: uvacavs1 and pawfan
I should let this drop because it would of course fade further down the list of topics eventually. But since another Page fan has now come on board to express his thoughts, I feel compelled to make one point clear.

Both of you are making it sound as if I knew the individual in question and knew exactly what was going on, and that I deliberately criticized him and whatever might have led to his behavior. Well nothing could be further from the truth.

Apparently you are taking particular offense to the phrase "some sort of guy with a gun." I am sorry fellows, but I just don't see a value judgment or any kind of personal attack in that statement.

Instead all I intended to say and all I DID say was that "something" was going on in Shenandoah, that it involved a "guy" and a "gun," and that it brought a huge police presence into an otherwise quiet Friday night. That is all I said because that is all the information that I had at the time.

Maybe you cannot see a distinction and if so, then we will just have to agree to disagree. If you think I made fun of someone who had served his country and was suffering as a result, and you want to consider me that kind of person, then that is your prerogative.

But I stand by my position that all I did was incorporate the little bit I had heard into my usual game report so as to convey that there was more going on than football that night. Could I have left all of that out and just concentrated on the game itself? Of course I could have and maybe I will learn from the experience and do just that in the future.

Again I will say that I did not under any circumstances intentionally criticize a member of our military and I would never do that. If it is too late to help you see that and if this post makes it even worse, then I honestly don't know what else to say. I think you guys read things that were simply not there.

To me it was dropped after I posted what I posted and you replied. One thing about crew is that he always has my back on things on this board and I his. (Much like mmqp and others had yours!)

While it is fact that you don't know the man in question, I don't think you meant any disrespect nor did I think you meant any disrespect when you posted. I just thought it could have been worded a little differently. That's just me.

I think you do a wonderful job with your posts. I always read and honestly you do a better job than the D-NR does with anything they write. Game is over. Situation is over. Thread is over. Let's all move on!

Reactions: naildriver91
I can accept and agree with that. Good luck the rest of the season, especially on Senior Night (wink wink.)

Both of you are making it sound as if I knew the individual in question and knew exactly what was going on, and that I deliberately criticized him and whatever might have led to his behavior. Well nothing could be further from the truth.

Never in my post did I say you knew what was going on or that you were deliberately criticizing him. All I stated was info about his length of service in Iraq and that 99% of us don't have a clue of what he had seen or been through, and then about why we scheduled Riverheads for Homecoming. Sorry you feel as though we are ganging up on you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT