ADVERTISEMENT

Glenvar @ Radford Thoughts

Intrinsicrewards

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 16, 2011
Who will win this Friday and why?

Once again, I believe it will come down to a balanced ball control offense from Glenvar versus big play pass run option athletes with speed. Both defenses seem to be stout.

Radford has to be the heavy favorite but Floyd almost pulled off the win when Radford was supposed to win by a couple TDs. If Glenvar keeps them off the field & has strong line play, some lucky breaks, who knows , maybe they keep it close.

Yeah, Radford's lineplay is not the best, but they are probably more athletic overall. If Glenvar can control the clock and get a couple of stops, they have a chance.

Radford barely beat Floyd Co. and Glenvar barely lost to Floyd Co. Heard that Glenvar has had several starters out most of the season. May get a few back for Radford game. Should be a good game. I would still give edge to Radford.

Look at all 3 losses which were close and they aren't far from being undefeated. If healthy, Glenvar is dangerous and actually good enough to win Region C. Raddy is more athletic than Glenvar and we will try to score with big plays, and Glenvar will play power ball, but Glenvar can also throw it some. For the Bobcats, our line has to play well. Our line is good on both sides, but it's not dominant like we are at the skilled positions and my biggest worry for the season were teams with solid OL play being able to run on us That happened some with Floyd County. Should be a good one as it usually is with Raddy and Glenvar. Much talk about Radford, Martinsville, and Appomattox all year in Region C and rightfully so, but Glenvar is dangerous and if they get healthy, they can be a problem for any team in Region C, and they actually have enough talent on their team this year to possibly win Region C if they get and stay healthy. For the Bobcats, we need to come out and get a couple of quick scores and get the lead. The longer you let a run, grinding the clock kind of team stay in the game, it is usually going to be a close game in the 4th quarter. The key is getting a couple of scores and keeping the foot on the gas.

I'm saying Radford with the wake up call against Floyd.
I will say though that I think the Glenvar team is dangerous though. If they can have a couple balls bounce their way they can win this game.
Where is game played? If at Glenvar the turf will favor Radford and their speed.

Of the teams in C with some loses I'd fear Glenvar the most I think.

Can Glenvar control the clock like Floyd? Whoever beats Radford this year will have superior line play and can control the clock. I am not sure the exact numbers, but they held the ball 70-80% of the time.

I'm saying Radford with the wake up call against Floyd.
I will say though that I think the Glenvar team is dangerous though. If they can have a couple balls bounce their way they can win this game.
Where is game played? If at Glenvar the turf will favor Radford and their speed.

Of the teams in C with some loses I'd fear Glenvar the most I think.
It’s in Radford. Maybe it’s unfair but I compare it to last year. Radford was in the lead until the last play of the game. Landon Clark was NOT the Qb at the time. Clark now sits at 32 TDS passing vs 0 interceptions. Insane stat considering how often they throw the football. Not saying some passes should have been picked off plus he has rushed for many TDS. Not many games this season has Radford won time of possession. I’ve never said I thought this game would be a blowout or easy. Glenvar always comes prepared to play. I think last week game was a eye opener and good test that every team will bring their A+ game against you.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Floyd spoiled the party on this one. Unless a team is just so destined for a title there's nothing you can do (and you know these teams when you see them) then they are apt to snooze a half or three quarters at least once during the season no matter how good or bad because well, it's just difficult to get teens to be up for every quarter of every game. However, when it comes to good teams you often get just one chance at this and you won't catch them sleeping on the job again.

Glenvar will win if Glenvar is just flat out a superior football team. Zero chance they sneak up on Radford thanks to what happened last week.

Radford by a decently healthy margin.

If Radford has good leaders (not necessarily good athletes) they probably will help focus the team throughout this week and up coming games and they should be ready to compete.

I think teams need to get to the QB for Radford and not allow him to elude the defense and make a big play. If a team can get to him consistently, it will make a huge impact on the outcome of the game. A team with good lineplay and good speed on defense may have a chance.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Great game and hard fought on both sides.

Glenvar had just enough ball control to limit Radford's explosive offense and had great time management on the last TD drive to win the game. Gutsy call by Coach Clifford to go on 4th down with everything on the line. Congrats to both teams and hope to see both in the Region Final for Round II.

Reactions: toughy299
Such as? Watched on nfhs and cant tell crap from that.
All the no calls. Radfords line holds like crazy, never called. The touchdown, the kid didn’t maintain control out of bounds, should have been an incomplete pass would have been 4th down for Radford, all the non face mask calls. Not giving Glenvars coach the timeout he called for then giving him an unsportsmanlike because he got pissed and let you know about it. Terrible reffing in this game.
Then at the end of the game during hand shake, Radford showed there ass, Not a fan

Last edited:
Reactions: BCKnights
All the no calls. Radford slime holds like crazy, never called. The touchdown, the kid didn’t maintain control out of bounds, should have been an incomplete pass would have been 4th down for Radford, all the non face mask calls. Not giving Glenvars coach the timeout he called for then giving him an unsportsmanlike because he got pissed and let you know about it. Terrible reffing in this game.
Then at the end of the game during hand shake, Radford showed there ass, Not a fan
WoW ! That’s such a shame !

I was there and Clifford just outcoached crist period.

Looks like the Radford QB wanted to make it all about him since he came there from glenvar...and Baylor got frustrated...but Glenvar manhandled them at the line of scrimmage...that was the difference

Glenvar freshman QB is gonna be a good one....and #1 for glenvar is just a hell of a football player

All the no calls. Radford slime holds like crazy, never called. The touchdown, the kid didn’t maintain control out of bounds, should have been an incomplete pass would have been 4th down for Radford, all the non face mask calls. Not giving Glenvars coach the timeout he called for then giving him an unsportsmanlike because he got pissed and let you know about it. Terrible reffing in this game.
The radio said Glenvar players were dancing on the field. Glenvar had a extremely late hit in first quarter and ran into Radford FG kicker. I don’t remember one holding penalty against Glenvar.

The radio said Glenvar players were dancing on the field. Glenvar had an extremely late hit in first quarter and ran into Radford FG kicker. I don’t remember one holding penalty against Glenvar.
The late hit was shown on Friday Football Extra, if a couple of feet out of bounds on a play where both are running full speed is extreme, then ok.. a few holding penalties on Glenvar.. During the hand shake, there was no dancing going on that I saw.. Radford an pushed Glenvar‘s qb, Glenvar web backed away with his hands up and then Radford #8 came towards Glenvar team and an all out brawl was narrowly avoided

The radio said Glenvar players were dancing on the field. Glenvar had an extremely late hit in first quarter and ran into Radford FG kicker. I don’t remember one holding penalty against Glenvar.
There were numerous holding penalties called in the 2nd half on Glenvar. But the biggest was on the punt return back to Radford’s 15 when Glenvar was up 24-20. In that drive alone there were 3 back to back and up until that point none on either side. Penalties go both ways but I think the more physical team upfront won the game. The Freshman QB from Glenvar is going to be a problem for many teams for the next 3 years. This is the 4th game I’ve seen this year and it just so happens the other 3 were their losses. Realistically they were 1 play away from winning all three of those games so their record is deceiving.

I think the Region C playoffs are going to be exciting. Radford Glenvar or Appo could easily take it. Not discrediting the other teams like Martinsville but the game I saw them play they were really undisciplined and that will lose you playoff games.

The beautiful thing about High School football is anyone can beat anyone on a Friday Night.

The late hit was shown on Friday Football Extra, if a couple of feet out of bounds on a play where both are running full speed is extreme, then ok.. a few holding penalties on Glenvar.. During the hand shake, there was no dancing going on that I saw.. Radford an pushed Glenvar‘s qb, Glenvar web backed away with his hands up and then Radford #8 came towards Glenvar team and an all out brawl was narrowly avoided
The radford QB was talking trash all night to players and glenvar fans....#8 has all the talent in the world but he needs to grow up and quit pouting

Reactions: VAHoops11
I've told you all all year the danger with Glenvar. I said it in week 1 after Galax loss, they are a dangerous tram snd people are nuts for sleeping on them

Reactions: Gridiron1960
I was there and Clifford just outcoached crist period.

Most SWD fans who remember Crist’s days at Virginia High could have confirmed this was going to happen. It’s why I choose Glenvar in the Pick ‘em thread for this week. I had a feeling Crist would blow it. No disrespect to him as a person.

Well the Roanoke Times picture on Facebook seems to show something different. I was on Radford side and the hit was extremely late.

Toughy299, what did I warn you about earlier in the year with lineplay and Glenvars chances when they are healthy? Can't say I didn't warn you. Radford can win a region or state title. We are good enough, but we are not so good that we can't be beat. I told you about teams that have solid OLs and DLs and that being an issue for us. We are still in good shape and lesson learned.

So that being said Fairlawn ! Is this Glenvar team better than they were last year ?
Yes, they are much better when they are healthy. I've been toting the Glenvar train all year even with the early losses and even after the Floyd loss because I knew they were injured. They are very talented on the line of scrimmage and when healthy, a problem. I wrote on here that Glenvar could win the region if healthy. I'm not saying they will, but they are good enough. Many folks just continued to count em for dead early on and it was all Radford, Appo, and Martinsville, and I warned you guys Glenvar was a serious problem if and when they get healthy

Toughy299, what did I warn you about earlier in the year with lineplay and Glenvars chances when they are healthy? Can't say I didn't warn you. Radford can win a region or state title. We are good enough, but we are not so good that we can't be beat. I told you about teams that have solid OLs and DLs and that being an issue for us. We are still in good shape and lesson learned.
They were playing better DL earlier in the season. The OL is fine, they give Clark time. Clark has a weakness in backs up way to much as opposed to moving forward in the pocket. Since your all OG Radford you will know that was a Paul Snell move and Lewis Ramsey always had to bail him out. Less 3rd and 20+ situation. Remember that D line gave up only gave up 7 to Galax which scored much more on Glenvar.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
I saw the hit out of bounds and to me it was obvious that Glenvar was saying “we are here to be physical”.
Not so sure the credit Appo is getting on here isnt from days gone by. This team ain’t what once was!
Maybe the loss will refocus Radford and make them a better team as it sounds like there are some “individuals” right now.
Glenvar has always been well coached and came to play anytime I’ve seen them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT