ADVERTISEMENT

Golf: Metro Tournament Results

Spartan, is it typical out that way to play 18 holes? They may do the same down here before school is in session. I just know later on the typical match is just 9 holes.

Which tees does HS competition play from. Do ladies on the same teams play from the same tees as the guys?

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Spartan, is it typical out that way to play 18 holes? They may do the same down here before school is in session. I just know later on the typical match is just 9 holes.

Which tees does HS competition play from. Do ladies on the same teams play from the same tees as the guys?

Yes, I believe that eighteen holes is considered a standard match. Sometimes the competition gets truncated down to twelve or even nine holes due to weather or darkness, later in the season. But as far as I know, the hope is always to play eighteen. A few of the larger invitationals (such as the Metro), as well as the state tournament, are thirty-six holes, played over two days.

As far as the tees, I think they still play from the white, or middle markers. Which for the better players is kind of ridiculous, given today's equipment. However, looking at the complete individual scores from the Metro, quite a few kids still shot 90 or above, so not playing from the back tees was probably a good thing for them. Perhaps they could have ten-handicappers or better move back to the blue tees.

Girls - and anyone who reads who knows otherwise can correct me - play from the forward, or red tees. I'm not certain on that, but I believe that's the case. Which has always struck me as a huge, slightly unfair advantage, if you have a decent female player on your team. Given both that girls mature earlier, and the benefits of today's sooped-up clubs and balls, I have to think a good female player can tear it up from the forward tees. I don't see any reason in this day and age why the better girl players can't play from the middle markers in high school. Again, maybe a player's handicap could determine their teeing area.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Girls play from 85 percent of boys tees. Therefore if hole is 400 yards for boys it will be 340 for girls. Having good girls on your team is a huge advantage. Boys play about 6000 girls 5100

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT