ADVERTISEMENT

Grafton hires new Football Head Coach

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Grafton hires the Tabb Middle School football coach. They didn’t get a varsity coach- head or assistant but a middle school guy. That this is what they hired I can only guess very few varsity coaches wanted to take the helm on a program in serious problems. I am also surprised none of the current assistants took the job. I don’t see hiring a coach that is not on the varsity level in some manner will lead to the needed improvements.we will see.

Grafton hires the Tabb Middle School football coach. They didn’t get a varsity coach- head or assistant but a middle school guy. That this is what they hired I can only guess very few varsity coaches wanted to take the helm on a program in serious problems. I am also surprised none of the current assistants took the job. I don’t see hiring a coach that is not on the varsity level in some manner will lead to the needed improvements.we will see.
Very interesting to say the least. First time I've heard of such happening.

Jefferson High School in Eastern Panhandle WV did the same about 15 years ago. People had the same reaction. Long story short I believe he had success in the beginning with like 3 consecutive winning seasons. So I guess you have to wait and see.

Reactions: VolNation85
Couple of points. First, though rare, yes, there have been many instances of coaches from the Middle/Junior high ranks moving in to become head varsity high school coaches, and just like those who move from school to school, some are successful and some, not so much. It appears Coach Cobbins knows the area and is prepared for the task, so I say good luck coach.

The much bigger question is what is the deal with Grafton. They lead the Bay Rivers District with the most head football coaches the past 15 years...by far. Is it parents, administration, athletic director, players attitude, a combination or all of the above? There's got to be a reason(s) these guys keep jumping ship. Athleticism and talent are not a problem at Grafton, so what is the problem? Years ago I met a teacher at Grafton who was an assistant coach at a different high school. What's up, I inquired? "Sometimes I need a break from York County parents." Don't know if that's the problem today, but something is "rotten in the state of Denmark," or Grafton in this case.

Reactions: VolNation85
Couple of points. First, though rare, yes, there have been many instances of coaches from the Middle/Junior high ranks moving in to become head varsity high school coaches, and just like those who move from school to school, some are successful and some, not so much. It appears Coach Cobbins knows the area and is prepared for the task, so I say good luck coach.

The much bigger question is what is the deal with Grafton. They lead the Bay Rivers District with the most head football coaches the past 15 years...by far. Is it parents, administration, athletic director, players attitude, a combination or all of the above? There's got to be a reason(s) these guys keep jumping ship. Athleticism and talent are not a problem at Grafton, so what is the problem? Years ago I met a teacher at Grafton who was an assistant coach at a different high school. What's up, I inquired? "Sometimes I need a break from York County parents." Don't know if that's the problem today, but something is "rotten in the state of Denmark," or Grafton in this case.

Just my humble opinion here....but every other sport at Grafton has enjoyed reasonable success. Most of the sport teams have long tenured coaches. If it was a systemic issue within the administration, I would be inclined to believe that every sport program would have a similar high turnover rate.

I don't have any inside information....but I would venture a guess that they have just had trouble finding the "next" Coach Walton. and trust me when I say York County parents aren't any more "special" when it comes to their kids. That's a widespread "special" that gets doled out evenly countrywide!

Reactions: aw19752
Just my humble opinion here....but every other sport at Grafton has enjoyed reasonable success. Most of the sport teams have long tenured coaches. If it was a systemic issue within the administration, I would be inclined to believe that every sport program would have a similar high turnover rate.

I don't have any inside information....but I would venture a guess that they have just had trouble finding the "next" Coach Walton. and trust me when I say York County parents aren't any more "special" when it comes to their kids. That's a widespread "special" that gets doled out evenly countrywide!
Completely agree, just find it odd they can't seem to keep a football coach compared to other schools in the BRD with long-term football coaches and as you said, long term coaches in other sports at Grafton.

Reactions: gwb16
Completely agree, just find it odd they can't seem to keep a football coach compared to other schools in the BRD with long-term football coaches and as you said, long term coaches in other sports at Grafton.
The worst part of it all is Grafton has tons of very good athletes. They have ALWAYS had talent. But the lack of continuity and steady leadership has created a mess out of a program that was once a serious force in the BRD.
Smithfield isn't much better in the turnover ratio department. Coaches that are a little bit vocal seem to be squelched or made examples. I won't go into specifics with that situation...mostly because I have distanced myself from the politics and antics. Graciously and happily.

I wish the new coach at Grafton well. Every Varsity coach in the state had to have an AD that was willing to take a chance on them. Some work out extremely well. Time will tell.

The worst part of it all is Grafton has tons of very good athletes. They have ALWAYS had talent. But the lack of continuity and steady leadership has created a mess out of a program that was once a serious force in the BRD.
Smithfield isn't much better in the turnover ratio department. Coaches that are a little bit vocal seem to be squelched or made examples. I won't go into specifics with that situation...mostly because I have distanced myself from the politics and antics. Graciously and happily.

I wish the new coach at Grafton well. Every Varsity coach in the state had to have an AD that was willing to take a chance on them. Some work out extremely well. Time will tell.
Unless you are competing for a state title being vocal or tough love is looked upon as a negative. I've watch coaches in some state title programs say things to kids without backlash that a 5-5 coached team would have big issues. Basically what you can say as a coach or the amount of commitment you demand from players depends on how much you win.

Reactions: gwb16 and one man

Grafton football up until recently has always been tough and one of Lafayette’s toughest outs. Hard to believe that only a few years ago in the playoffs after beating Smithfield they pushed us to the brink in the next game. Nothing is expected this year again. The numbers are way down for a Div 4 team, once that happens it’s a haul to recover.

Reactions: gwb16
Grafton football up until recently has always been tough and one of Lafayette’s toughest outs. Hard to believe that only a few years ago in the playoffs after beating Smithfield they pushed us to the brink in the next game. Nothing is expected this year again. The numbers are way down for a Div 4 team, once that happens it’s a haul to recover.
I agree Dwight....the climb back up is ALWAYS steeper than the fall. For whatever reason.
But....one really nice winning season will bring the kids out in droves. All it takes is one.

Reactions: Amgis
Unless you are competing for a state title being vocal or tough love is looked upon as a negative. I've watch coaches in some state title programs say things to kids without backlash that a 5-5 coached team would have big issues. Basically what you can say as a coach or the amount of commitment you demand from players depends on how much you win.
Very, very true....
I saw and heard a former Lafayette coach....hugely successful coach....do and say some things that would have caused many coaches to be handed walking papers....LOL

I agree Dwight....the climb back up is ALWAYS steeper than the fall. For whatever reason.
But....one really nice winning season will bring the kids out in droves. All it takes is one.
And Bruton is playing this year a full 10 game schedule, though only 5 Bay River teams as they lighten up their schedule. As of now they have 35 players in practice. A remarkable turn for Bruton.

Reactions: gwb16 and WP02alum
In all honesty, as a parent in the program, if the administration doesn't get behind the coaches and allow them to coach instead of hearing out parents' complaints...it's going to be hard to climb back up to the top. Last year a student was removed for getting in a fight in school, per the handbook, and administration allowed him to walk at senior night. It's things like this that make it very hard to explain rules to my son, when they're not upheld across the board. We lost a good one in Coach Jarvis. His wife was certified for two positions that were available in the school. In a school that cared about football like Grafton claims to, they would have looked out for their own and hired her for one of them. Instead, they did the opposite and now we are in the situation we are in. I truly believe Coach Jarvis was steering us in the right direction, but, administration messed that up big time. I'm looking at private schools for my son as we speak.

And Bruton is playing this year a full 10 game schedule, though only 5 Bay River teams as they lighten up their schedule. As of now they have 35 players in practice. A remarkable turn for Bruton.
I'm glad to hear that. Bruton and Poquoson have always impressed me. The two smallest schools in the BRD, but you had better show up prepared for a dogfight each week when you were playing them. They always showed up ready for war.

In all honesty, as a parent in the program, if the administration doesn't get behind the coaches and allow them to coach instead of hearing out parents' complaints...it's going to be hard to climb back up to the top. Last year a student was removed for getting in a fight in school, per the handbook, and administration allowed him to walk at senior night. It's things like this that make it very hard to explain rules to my son, when they're not upheld across the board. We lost a good one in Coach Jarvis. His wife was certified for two positions that were available in the school. In a school that cared about football like Grafton claims to, they would have looked out for their own and hired her for one of them. Instead, they did the opposite and now we are in the situation we are in. I truly believe Coach Jarvis was steering us in the right direction, but, administration messed that up big time. I'm looking at private schools for my son as we speak.
This makes me sad. Grafton was once an absolute force to deal with in the BRD. Not sure what happened to cause that change....I have a theory, but it won't be popular and I'll take the high road and leave politics out of the discussion. Private school may not be any better....just a thought. Do what's best for your son and family. But there's also some truly good teaching moments to nurture in that environment. Make the best of it and best of luck to you and your son.

They have had college assistant coaches apply. The admin and AD will always have a problem finding a coach if they don't support the coach and his visions.
The problem with college guys is they will sometimes leave when the next college opportunity is there. So maybe the admin felt this may happen.

The problem with college guys is they will sometimes leave when the next college opportunity is there. So maybe the admin felt this may happen.

That’s something admins can afford to do at schools where the program is established & successful, not a school with a losing program that can’t hold onto a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT