ADVERTISEMENT

Graham at Radford.

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
What time is the game on saturday?? Thoughts on this matchup. I dont know much about Radford. Should be a good one.

Graham has just gotten better and better as the season has gone on, if someone told me after Bluefield game, they'd be in the state semi-finals, I would have had my doubts. Defense has been lights out since about mid-season. Offense is explosive! They basically took Richlands to the wood shed twice. I've said it before Mance should have never gotten rid of Palmer. As far as Radford, limit mistakes, penalties, stay focused, I say Graham wins. As far as Cam, he is talented and has been know to showboat, hopefully he'll contain that next week.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I agree. After the first 4 games. I thought Graham would go out in the first or 2nd round of the playoffs. The defense has made great strides throughout the season. The offense has been consistent. We can score with anybody. It is the defense that has stepped it up big time. A couple of stupid penalties and mental lapses popped up today and that could make the difference in a close game. Im happy forTony and the boys for winning the region and making it 3 in a row against Richlands. But as they themselves would tell you. They are not satisfied yet.

Radford has beaten Gretna, Glenvar, and Appo in the last 3 weeks so they have proven to me they are a championship caliber team and can beat anyone including Graham and ER especially on their home field. Don't forget the SC has come from Region C for what?...6 straight years??? Radford will be a tough out. Graham is a bit over-hyped IMO but we shall see.

Reactions: obguthr
Most teams improve throughout the year, but Radford has improved at a rate much higher than other Radford teams that I've seen in many yrs. Credit Galax early in the season for a great win. I am not worried about Galax now, but worried only about Graham. I will be pulling for Galax in Region C to win it all.

Last edited:
Graham certainly has improved since week #2. Totally different team, especially on the defensive side. I think Rex has found some good combinations on defense. He seems to change it up quite often, also, depending on who they are up against. The Offensive line is doing much better also. I'm sure Radford has improved since then as well. It will be a dog fight (or cat fight), for sure on Saturday. Hoping the G-Men can pull off the "w" and keep the season going.

Graham certainly has improved since week #2. Totally different team, especially on the defensive side. I think Rex has found some good combinations on defense. He seems to change it up quite often, also, depending on who they are up against. The Offensive line is doing much better also. I'm sure Radford has improved since then as well. It will be a dog fight (or cat fight), for sure on Saturday. Hoping the G-Men can pull off the "w" and keep the season going.

Agree with everything you said my friend, except your last sentence. I'm hoping we can beat you guys. You guys were tough on us back in the day and 1988 (dating myself) was a fluke! We should have had u and we're better then you.. All the best to my old Region 4 comrades in Bluefield and I'm hoping we get some payback. I'm still friends with an ole GMen named Jason Browning who I worked on the railroad with for years. Suck it GMen!!! Safe travels to you boys and a beer coming your way at the Bobcat Tent when stopping by. Even good ole Cary Caldwell is coming in from California to watch this one. Coach TP, congrats on your success. That was a lucky a** run around the left in in 89 homeboy,

Agree with everything you said my friend, except your last sentence. I'm hoping we can beat you guys. You guys were tough on us back in the day and 1988 (dating myself) was a fluke! We should have had u and we're better then you.. All the best to my old Region 4 comrades in Bluefield and I'm hoping we get some payback. I'm still friends with an ole GMen named Jason Browning who I worked on the railroad with for years. Suck it GMen!!! Safe travels to you boys and a beer coming your way at the Bobcat Tent when stopping by. Even good ole Cary Caldwell is coming in from California to watch this one. Coach TP, congrats on your success. That was a lucky a** run around the left in in 89 homeboy,
Browning caught the winning TD pass against you guys if I'm not mistaken in 88. Radford was a huge favorite and not many expected Graham to win that game. I knew Jason (Jay) and his brother Jeff back in the day. I have nothing but respect for the Bobcats, may the better team win.

Last edited:

Defense is definitely killer! There's obviously a lot of prep and hard work going into every game. The boys have been lightning! Kudos to the entire coaching staff, they seem to mesh well and mesh with players. Definitely glad Graham had the benefit of Palmer #2 rather than Richlands still having him on staff . I'm also hoping the GMen pull off the win! Right now they're playing phenomenal football with a few missteps here and there. The difference being, they overcome them & recover quickly rather than falter. Disciplined play is much improved! They are really fun to watch!

Any chance this game gets moved due to weather? Forecast not looking good for friday or saturday.

Reactions: Scagmowers
Radford wins this game by 2 scores.

I'm a die-hard Bobcat and former player and I hope you are right, but even I don't believe that. I think the game goes down to the wire and is decided by 1 big play in the last part of the 4th quarter.

Reactions: obguthr
I think it comes down to who can capitalize on the mistakes of the other team & which team's defense shuts down the other's biggest play makers. I definitely do not see Radford by two TDs unless Graham falls apart which I do not foresee.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Any word on if someone from VHSL will evaluate field conditions since it's supposed to rain Friday & Saturday? How does the field handle rain? Surely hope better than Marion's. That was the worst I've ever seen.

Any word on if someone from VHSL will evaluate field conditions since it's supposed to rain Friday & Saturday? How does the field handle rain? Surely hope better than Marion's. That was the worst I've ever seen.
VHSL looked at Chilhowie's field on Tuesday and said it was fine so I don't know If they looked at others then also. It supposed to rain out there tonight, tomorrow and Saturday but since they have already approved their field I guess we will play there regardless of the weather or field conditions. Regardless the field is the same for both teams.

I heard the field is suppose to be looked at today. If it rains it will be a good ole fashioned slop game but thats why its an outside sport. It wont be as bad as when Radford played Glenvar but i dont know how a turf team in Graham will do in the mud. It will slow down both teams just depends on who makes the better adjustment.

No change as of now. I checked both schools sites but am hearing possibly CBurg at 7:00 is the contingent plan.

According to a friend of mine who is a Radford police officer, the game has been moved to Salem Stadium.

edit: Confirmed via the Radford High Twitter account.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19GHS87
Wow...I'm actually a little surprised. Good luck to both teams and really hoping rain holds off regardless of game location. I'm not a fan of sitting in cold rain, too old for it.

Reactions: moto138
1A and 3A moved also. Safety first. VHSL has some liability at these events.

Confirmed it with my wife who teaches at the school. It's at Salem at 2pm. For starters, I'm po'd a little bit. I wanted Graham playing in the conditions whatever they be, and hopefully lots of mud. Radford has earned a home field advantage. We lose that at Salem. Whatever happen to playing on a field that is what it is, whether dry or muddy? That uses to be part of the game. Now, the logical side of me says it's the right thing to do. The VHSL gets to make that call and rules are rules and respect it. I'm unhappy, but it's the way it is and the right thing to do. For the Cats or GMen, or Goochland or East Rock, you have to have the expectation and grit that you can win on any field to be the champ. Hopefully the Cats can get the W. Safe travels to all teams left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT