ADVERTISEMENT

Graham at Radford.

Confirmed it with my wife who teaches at the school. It's at Salem at 2pm. For starters, I'm po'd a little bit. I wanted Graham playing in the conditions whatever they be, and hopefully lots of mud. Radford has earned a home field advantage. We lose that at Salem. Whatever happen to playing on a field that is what it is, whether dry or muddy? That uses to be part of the game. Now, the logical side of me says it's the right thing to do. The VHSL gets to make that call and rules are rules and respect it. I'm unhappy, but it's the way it is and the right thing to do. For the Cats or GMen, or Goochland or East Rock, you have to have the expectation and grit that you can win on any field to be the champ. Hopefully the Cats can get the W. Safe travels to all teams left.

Agree 100%....home field advantage is earned and now that's all thrown out the window....total BS if you ask me..and im not a Graham or Radford fan

I think the forecasted rain is driving these changes to turf fields. The VHSL is sponsoring these events and have liability. Not all may like it, but its the right thing to do. They have to do reasonable diligence to provide a safe environment.
Personally, I would like all semis to be held at neutral fields. Region champs have both earned the right. Power points should go out the window for semis if you ask me and the teams should play at a neutral field.
Bluefield, Va is planning to build a new stadium with turf and it would be awesome to host venues like this if Graham were not playing in the game.

Apparently the Graham coach and AD called VHSL and complained about playing in the rain, and the game was moved without looking at the field. Now we get to see if turf is an advantage for the shifty QB of Graham or for the D-Line gettoff of Radford

Apparently the Graham coach and AD called VHSL and complained about playing in the rain, and the game was moved without looking at the field. Now we get to see if turf is an advantage for the shifty QB of Graham or for the D-Line gettoff of Radford

Don't surprise me at all

I'm calling B.S. The VHSL moved 1A, 2A and 3A games today. Nobody called the VHSL.

I think the forecasted rain is driving these changes to turf fields. The VHSL is sponsoring these events and have liability. Not all may like it, but its the right thing to do. They have to do reasonable diligence to provide a safe environment.
Personally, I would like all semis to be held at neutral fields. Region champs have both earned the right. Power points should go out the window for semis if you ask me and the teams should play at a neutral field.
Bluefield, Va is planning to build a new stadium with turf and it would be awesome to host venues like this if Graham were not playing in the game.

Not knowing the area hardly at all, is there many schools near Bluefield?

My thoughts on neutral fields is that it would be incredibly difficult, not that it is a bad idea. The reason I say that is the accumulation of teams in areas, or lack thereof. Most of SWVA is 1a and 2a, while its wider spread in the other parts of state, except in NOVA where majority are 4a+. Just look in my area, Augusta County and move just 30 miles north to Rockingham and Harrisonburg. 1a- Riverheads, 2a- East Rockingham and others, 3a- Fort Defiance, Waynesboro, 5a- Harrisonburg.

The only thing that would make sense if it were neutral would be somewhere in middle for both teams. Thst also depends on fields being accomodating, and what about it being neutral for larger schools as well. Whether we like it or not, and maybe it's just some who post on here, us smaller schools are looked at as inferior or not as important. I have seen discussions over the last few years about the possibility of all 6 state games at one location like UVA. The discussion goes 2 games on Friday and 4 on Saturday. Guess who is ALWAYS the teams that would play on Friday, where they miss school, a day to prepare, and where fans may not be able to make it because of work? Yep, 1a and 2a.

Reactions: 19GHS87
$$$$$$, that’s what makes the wheel spin Gunz. Not nearly as many spectators at most 1A and 2A compared to the larger schools. There are exceptions but the rule holds water.

Last edited:
$$$$$$, that’s what makes the wheel spin Gunz. Not nearly as many spectators at most 1A and 2A compared to the larger schools. There are exceptions but the rule holds water.

O I understand why, but IF something like that were to ever occur, I think the only way for it to be is to rotate. But my thoughts about it are more how it just seems to be looked at as not as important

Christiansburg, Salem, Emory and Henry and soon to come Bluefield Virginias multi-sport complex would all be great neutral sites. C Burg would be the most "in the middle" I would think.

If George Wythe- Wytheville had turf that would be a great place for a neutral site for Region C and D.

Last edited:
Well, they could have played on Bluefield College's home stadium which is turf. NOT!
Wouldnt be the first time the state semi finals were played in an entirely different state(WV). Or the finals for that matter.

1989 Graham hosted and won the VA State title on their home field, which happens to lie just across the border in WV against South Hampton.

The state line literally runs through the stadium parking lot

Could play at Concord University. It’s located in Athens WV not far from Bluefield

Wouldnt be the first time the state semi finals were played in an entirely different state(WV). Or the finals for that matter.

1989 Graham hosted and won the VA State title on their home field, which happens to lie just across the border in WV against South Hampton.

The state line literally runs through the stadium parking lot
Runs right through the tennis courts too. One player is in Va while the other is in WV lol

Reactions: 19GHS87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT