ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs. Union

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
Thoughts? I believe the outcome will be a similar score to last season. 28-7 or 28-10. Giles was able to run a lot of clock out against Graham, that's what they do. Graham was still able to score on most of their possessions and grab a 35-3 win. The offense looked explosive at times, had a couple of long td's called back. Bradshaw and Ray showed great speed as did Lester. The Defense seemed a little off, bent but didn't break. I think they missed one of their starting LB's, anybody know if he will be back for the Union game?

If Union is able to sustain some drives, it will keep the score closer, but Graham has great speed for a 2A team and if Graham is able to get good stops, it they may be able to get some distance.

I believe Kastner will be back from what I hear they were just resting him, not sure how Booker's ankle is but hopefully okay. I think he's had trouble with it before. My thoughts are Graham by about two TDs if they play disciplined and stay focused. Offense had some great plays and I think Blevins is going to be an asset. If they can just quit holding so those spectacular TDs don't get called back, lol.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I agree. Graham had 2 td's called back on one of their possessions, it's frustrating. I'm sure Bradshaw is frustrated, he has had about 5 or 6 td's called back already in just 3 games, I really didn't expect him to take this big of a leap forward from last season, he has really progressed a lot.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
I agree. Graham had 2 td's called back on one of their possessions, it's frustrating. I'm sure Bradshaw is frustrated, he has had about 5 or 6 td's called back already in just 3 games, I really didn't expect him to take this big of a leap forward from last season, he has really progressed a lot.
He really has progressed a lot. He's fun to watch.

Where is the game being Played?

I'd say Graham wins but sounds like the defense for Union will make them work for it.

It's in Bluefield. Sorry to my Union friends, but Graham wins this game big.

I think Graham still has something to prove against Union. Union has still won 3 of the last 4 against Graham and the G-Men will be prepared for a hard fought game. Graham knows that Union will be very physical and will play solid defense. I think Graham wins and if Union cannot sustain drives, Graham can score quickly and they could get some separation.

I do not expect Union to come out of Bluefield victorious. They are young in a lot of places. Either 9th or 10th grade or first year starting upperclassmen.

D is solid. Probably better than last year, but not as good as 2017. Running backs are really good, but O line is still coming along.

I do think it will be a competitive game. Union will have no margin for error though. The line will need their best game yet and the DEs will have to contain the edges if they hope to win.

And 4 or 5 Graham turnovers will help a lot too. haha

Graham has had issues with penalties thus far , I'm hoping that's cleaned up this week. GMen cannot afford TDs called back against Union. It won't be a walk in the park so GMen need to bring their smartest most disciplined game possible.

If Union gets behind, it could get ugly. Union has attempted five passes in last two games combined so if Graham is able to contain the Bears running attack early and hits some quick strike TDs, Union is in a bad spot.

Bears will need some breaks, turnovers could keep them in the game if Graham puts ball on the ground. Special teams have not been a strength so far, I'm sure Graham has an electric returner. If Graham gets a ST score, it'll be a death blow. Union has athletes, but I worry about using an OLB to cover slot receivers. If the Bears insist on staying in a 4-4 look and Graham goes 4-5 wide, that's a bad matchup for Union. Getting pressure on the QB is imperative, without pressure Union will have trouble slowing down G-Men.

The Graham student section will be dressed in full McDonalds gear. Sitting here enjoying my Big Mac Meal now while some of the kids ccme in. Lots of Graham folks having their pre game McDonalds meal and lots of fun while they are at it.

Last edited:
Is Justice injured or something? Have not seen him on the field.

Graham sent the police(3 town cops) into the Union stands to remove an air horn. This was NOT the train horn.

Wow, just wow. Everyone (including myself) counted out the Bears but the offense was big when it mattered and the defense forced the turnovers they needed. Just wow, so happy for those kids.

Great win. I knew they had a chance. But you guys are gonna catch a lot of crap using the train horn at home. The guy blew it non-stop during the cadence against Richlands the whole game. Very classless.

Great win. I knew they had a chance. But you guys are gonna catch a lot of crap using the train horn at home. The guy blew it non-stop during the cadence against Richlands the whole game. Very classless.

I'm not a fan of blowing it, but if they don't blow it during actual gameplay I think it's okay. In second half against Richlands, they seemed to calm down and stick to the rules for the most part. I hope they don't push it too far and get penalties called.

Great game. Flash backs to early season last season for Graham with the poor tackling and careless penalties. All credit to Union though, for playing a great game with a lot of poise for a young team.

I'm not a fan of blowing it, but if they don't blow it during actual gameplay I think it's okay. In second half against Richlands, they seemed to calm down and stick to the rules for the most part. I hope they don't push it too far and get penalties called.

Agree. Blow it all you want just not during the cadence.

Penalties, not having a starter on O & D, and did I mention penalties hurt GMen...Hats off to Union, their QB stepped up with passing game, running back is a beast ...kudos to Graham for not throwing in the towel and battling back. Great game & came down to which team had ball last was winning. Congratulations Bears, you got the job done! Graham has to clean things up if they want to go far in playoffs, sloppy, undisciplined won't get them a chance at another ring. They are much better than what they played tonight. They'd be having two hard weeks of practice if I were Coach Palmer.

Last edited:
This was an awesome game. Both teams never quit. Graham has speed to burn and athletes everywhere. The ball bounced Union's way tonight. A rematch would be both anticipated and dreaded!

Good luck to the GMen the rest of the way.

Reactions: 19GHS87
This was an awesome game. Both teams never quit. Graham has speed to burn and athletes everywhere. The ball bounced Union's way tonight. A rematch would be both anticipated and dreaded!

Good luck to the GMen the rest of the way.
I dont know which team would dread it more. I dont think Graham was ready to be smacked in the mouth like that. Graham has speed amd athleticism for sure, but Union knows how to play football. Yards after contact for Union had to be off the charts.

I dont know which team would dread it more. I dont think Graham was ready to be smacked in the mouth like that. Graham has speed amd athleticism for sure, but Union knows how to play football. Yards after contact for Union had to be off the charts.
I think they came in overconfident and underestimated Union. I hope this week is a lesson and proves to the players nothing is a given & you got to work your butts off everyday leading up to.a game and work that much harder on game night. Union played smart & disciplined. Graham.was missing tackles, sloppy, etc....worst I've seen the defense play since last year at this time. Our defense is much better than they performed last night. I hope the smackdown wakes them up. Bravo they never gave up but hats off to Union, they played cleaner better game from start to finish.

Last edited:
Agree. Union was more consistent in their play. Graham had a lot of big plays, Union was methodical and executed well.

Graham's fanbase has been over confident as well. Time to keep mouth shut and let the pads do the talking. They started the year off last year undisciplined and over confident. Friday should have been a wake up call. Too many unnecessary penalties in the first 4 games. It amazes me how a kid get called for holding MULTIPLE times in 2 weeks and he isnt pulled out until 2nd half of the 2nd game. I'm sure the staff will get these issues figured out this week.

Graham's fanbase has been over confident as well. Time to keep mouth shut and let the pads do the talking. They started the year off last year undisciplined and over confident. Friday should have been a wake up call. Too many unnecessary penalties in the first 4 games. It amazes me how a kid get called for holding MULTIPLE times in 2 weeks and he isnt pulled out until 2nd half of the 2nd game. I'm sure the staff will get these issues figured out this week.

Who did Graham replace him with?

They eventually put Kastner in. He was the original starter. Due to an earlier injury in the season they were basically conserving him for defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT