ADVERTISEMENT

Graham

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
I am probably in a minority, but I am really happy to see them winning again. These boards were always so much fun when Graham fan's (and haters) were posting about the G-Men. It's fun having them good.

Reactions: High-Fidelity
I agree and from the looks of it, they are REALLY good. Given another shot at Richlands, I like Graham's chances. The top 5 in 2A (all from the west region) are all very good. I expect to see some really good football in the 2A semis and championship.

Reactions: BigWinners
I agree and from the looks of it, they are REALLY good. Given another shot at Richlands, I like Graham's chances. The top 5 in 2A (all from the west region) are all very good. I expect to see some really good football in the 2A semis and championship.
Don't sleep on Goochland, I'd put them up against anybody in the west.

I called them my dark horse before the season. I thought they'd go 8-2 or 7-3. Didn't see them at 9-1. They're gonna end up the 2 seed.

If Appo were to lose to Amherst, Graham will wind up the 1 seed. As a Giles fan, we played them the last few years. Last year's Graham team and this year's Graham team are not close. The Graham team we faced this year has a wicked defense to go with its offense. What makes Graham very unique in the West compared to the Richland's teams last year and this year is Grahams ability to easily throw it and run it. They are explosive every running play and every passing play. The talent on that team I watched was at our place was scary good. Whether it's Appo, Dan River, Union, Giles or Richlands, Graham is a bad draw come playoff time for any team that faces them. The Graham team is not just night and day better than last year's team, but they have apparently improved each game this season, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Anything can happen come playoff time and Appo is the favorite to win the whole thing as they won it last year and returns tons of talent. I still believe......that Graham will win the state title. They actually have MORE talent than Appo in my opinion and they are actually faster than Appo. Graham may lose the first round by 20 points for all I know. But.....they are my pick to win the whole thing. I actually don't think it matters even if they go on the road. If you stack 8 in the box on them, you are done. They have 4-5 guys split out that can turn a 4 yard in route into a 90 yard touchdown. If you play coverage and drop 5-6 in the secondary, they have 3-4 guys in the backfield that can shred you, and one of them can run over you or around you and then pull away. They are a dangerous football team.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Don't sleep on Goochland, I'd put them up against anybody in the west.
I've seen more dominance from them in previous years, but Goochland is definitely good. The Buckingham game was supposed to be a good benchmark, but the Knights' program is a mess right now, so that doesn't really count for much. Goochland might have trouble with Woodstock or Clarke, but I expect them to sail into the semi-finals.

This years version of Goochland is what I'd call blue collar football at its best. No one superstar on offense but they get it done with a group of guys. But the superstar of this team in my opinion is the defense. They are fast, physical, opportunistic and hard nosed. I think they can play with anyone in the state East or West.

Right now i would say that Graham is playing better than anybody in the west, and don't sit on Union. I love my blues, but they go as John luke goes. It really worries me that we haven't been able to run the ball consistently and I am afraid that may bite us in the playoffs. It hurt us last night.

Reactions: High-Fidelity
Right now i would say that Graham is playing better than anybody in the west, and don't sit on Union. I love my blues, but they go as John luke goes. It really worries me that we haven't been able to run the ball consistently and I am afraid that may bite us in the playoffs. It hurt us last night.

Richlands should stick with one RB and go with him. I think the big kid named Lowe would do a solid job. I don't care if he's not the fastest guy. He is big and athletic. I don't know who would replace him at TE.

The lack of a reliable and consistent running game coast Richlands a state title last year in my opinion. You guys had Appo all but done, but the lack of ability to kill the clock with a good running game after you guys had a nice lead hurt. Credit Appos run defense also, but I was there. That game was over, but Richlands just could not run it late to kill some clock.

Richlands should stick with one RB and go with him. I think the big kid named Lowe would do a solid job. I don't care if he's not the fastest guy. He is big and athletic. I don't know who would replace him at TE.

The lack of a reliable and consistent running game coast Richlands a state title last year in my opinion. You guys had Appo all but done, but the lack of ability to kill the clock with a good running game after you guys had a nice lead hurt. Credit Appos run defense also, but I was there. That game was over, but Richlands just could not run it late to kill some clock.

I agree with most of what you said, I don't know that you could use him ( lowe ) at RB full time, he is much to important on D also to be a full time running back, but he could be used more than he is on offense. He is a weapon at tight end also and I wish they would throw to him more when he is lined up there.
But coach Mance knows more about football than I will ever know so there may be other reasons they don't use him as often.

This years version of Goochland is what I'd call blue collar football at its best. No one superstar on offense but they get it done with a group of guys. But the superstar of this team in my opinion is the defense. They are fast, physical, opportunistic and hard nosed. I think they can play with anyone in the state East or West.
Probably the best running back combo in 2A with Mattox, Martin, and Burton. The Oline is average at best but the three headed monster behind them make up for it. The defense is as good if not better than the last three teams that went to states. I'd like to see a Richlands matchup, the defenses strength playing against the pass.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
If Appo were to lose to Amherst, Graham will wind up the 1 seed. As a Giles fan, we played them the last few years. Last year's Graham team and this year's Graham team are not close. The Graham team we faced this year has a wicked defense to go with its offense. What makes Graham very unique in the West compared to the Richland's teams last year and this year is Grahams ability to easily throw it and run it. They are explosive every running play and every passing play. The talent on that team I watched was at our place was scary good. Whether it's Appo, Dan River, Union, Giles or Richlands, Graham is a bad draw come playoff time for any team that faces them. The Graham team is not just night and day better than last year's team, but they have apparently improved each game this season, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Anything can happen come playoff time and Appo is the favorite to win the whole thing as they won it last year and returns tons of talent. I still believe......that Graham will win the state title. They actually have MORE talent than Appo in my opinion and they are actually faster than Appo. Graham may lose the first round by 20 points for all I know. But.....they are my pick to win the whole thing. I actually don't think it matters even if they go on the road. If you stack 8 in the box on them, you are done. They have 4-5 guys split out that can turn a 4 yard in route into a 90 yard touchdown. If you play coverage and drop 5-6 in the secondary, they have 3-4 guys in the backfield that can shred you, and one of them can run over you or around you and then pull away. They are a dangerous football team.
i saw some film on graham, they stack up very well agaist us. Not taking nothing from them. Its good to hear graham back in the mix. wouldn't mind seeing them in Appo. I am in love with that RB. He is a monster!!!

Probably the best running back combo in 2A with Mattox, Martin, and Burton. The Oline is average at best but the three headed monster behind them make up for it. The defense is as good if not better than the last three teams that went to states. I'd like to see a Richlands matchup, the defenses strength playing against the pass.

Union has a great three headed rushing attack with Fannon, Owens and Zirkle. Don't know much about Goochland, only Union. That doesn't include guys like FB Stidham and James Mitchell on bubbles/jet sweeps.

I am probably in a minority, but I am really happy to see them winning again. These boards were always so much fun when Graham fan's (and haters) were posting about the G-Men. It's fun having them good.
Just wondering what the G-Men have coming back next year. After the varsity game was well in hand for Graham, both teams put their JV in. It didn't seem they had much after the Varsity left the field. I may be way off base here, just asking someone closer to the team.

Going by SWVA Sports website and reading about what some of the Graham fans say about their team. They are supposed to actually be better next year than this year, even with the loss of the RB Cousins.

I thought Cousin was a senior? Are you sure this year is not his last year?

He is a senior.

I don't think you can replace Cousin and be better. They'll move their second starting WR (#10) to QB and be ok there. They'll still have #5 Taymon Cooke back and he'll be the fastest player on the field so they'll still be able to score but if Graham is looking to make noise in the playoffs now is the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT