ADVERTISEMENT

Graham's Defense Stingy with Tazewell

Gridiron1960

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 23, 2019
Bluefield VA
Tazewell coming off a big win against VA High and Graham coming off a loss to Bluefield. Most thought Tazewell would make it interesting but Graham's defense is legit. They are as good as they were last year in playoffs. Tazewell just wasn't prepared for the caliber of play GMen brought tonight. The Graham was a well oiled machine aside from a few penalities which they'll clean up, I see them having no trouble making it to state playoffs if they stay healthy. Lester did well at QB. Is he a Cam Allen? No, but he's very versatile and talented. Offense had several playmakers tonight. I'll be interested to see how Graham fares against Union.

Lester did well at QB. Is he a Cam Allen? No, but he's very versatile and talented.

Disagree. He's actually better than Cam Allen at QB. Rushing for 266 yds against Bluefield last week is a record for a Graham QB. Throwing 4 touchdowns in one half last night is another Graham High record. He's quicker and faster then Cam, and he throws it more accurate. Your making the judgement based on a kid who has only played 7 quarters at QB compared to Cam at the end of last season of which he had started nearly 2 full years by the end of last year.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Disagree. He's actually better than Cam Allen at QB. Rushing for 266 yds against Bluefield last week is a record for a Graham QB. Throwing 4 touchdowns in one half last night is another Graham High record. He's quicker and faster then Cam, and he throws it more accurate. Your making the judgement based on a kid who has only played 7 quarters at QB compared to Cam at the end of last season of which he had started nearly 2 full years by the end of last year.

True, you're correct, I am comparing end of season Cam QB to beginning of season Lester. I think Lester is phenomenal and has shined the past two games. I didn't mean for it to come off as a slight against him. I think he's probably the best all around player in the region. He's one of several weapons in Graham's arsenal.

Graham has an up and coming star in Xayvion Bradshaw. A sophomore who is going to be something special. Very quick, good lateral movement and great speed in the open field.

Xayvion is Ahmad Bradshaw's son. He had two long touchdowns called back against Bluefield in game one. He's going to be special. Even as a sophomore, he's already a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

How Graham isn't considered as the considerable favorite to repeat as state champs right now blows my mind. It's very early, but they've been extremely impressive so far and I don't see a reason why they aren't given benefit of doubt.

How Graham isn't considered as the considerable favorite to repeat as state champs right now blows my mind. It's very early, but they've been extremely impressive so far and I don't see a reason why they aren't given benefit of doubt.

I think folks believe that losing Cam Allen would hurt significantly. I don't believe it will. Lester is comparable to Allen in every aspect. He can run and throw well. He is very elusive and has great speed (4.4 listed on his recruiting profile). He has multiple weapons to choose from. The defense is very, very good and the offensive line is getting their act together. Going to be hard to deal with for anybody they face.

I think folks believe that losing Cam Allen would hurt significantly. I don't believe it will. Lester is comparable to Allen in every aspect. He can run and throw well. He is very elusive and has great speed (4.4 listed on his recruiting profile). He has multiple weapons to choose from. The defense is very, very good and the offensive line is getting their act together. Going to be hard to deal with for anybody they face.

I dread coming to Bluefield in couple weeks. Union has a fast and physical defense but no one that can run well enough to spy Lester. If the Graham OL is as good as I believe it can be and Bears can't get pressure, Lester could carve them up. And the Graham defense is fast and physical as well while Union hasn't shown the ability to consistently move the ball in the air as well as on the ground. One dimension isn't enough to compete with Graham this year. G-Men got the monkey off their backs regarding Union last year, I believe you guys will try and make a point and all but wrap up the top seed in Region D unless Ridgeview beats Abingdon and wins out.

I dread coming to Bluefield in couple weeks. Union has a fast and physical defense but no one that can run well enough to spy Lester. If the Graham OL is as good as I believe it can be and Bears can't get pressure, Lester could carve them up. And the Graham defense is fast and physical as well while Union hasn't shown the ability to consistently move the ball in the air as well as on the ground. One dimension isn't enough to compete with Graham this year. G-Men got the monkey off their backs regarding Union last year, I believe you guys will try and make a point and all but wrap up the top seed in Region D unless Ridgeview beats Abingdon and wins out.
Im sure the Graham faithful will bring their Mcdonalds food to the game. Something that Graham wont forget anytime soon when it comes to Union. Union is well coached and always has a strong defense. Graham plays its best on the turf, but Im sure Union will put up a good fight. Cant count eggs before they hatch, especially against a great program like Union.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Im sure the Graham faithful will bring their Mcdonalds food to the game. Something that Graham wont forget anytime soon when it comes to Union. Union is well coached and always has a strong defense. Graham plays its best on the turf, but Im sure Union will put up a good fight. Cant count eggs before they hatch, especially against a great program like Union.

Ah I don't think that's a big deal really. The last couple games played haven't been nearly as contentious and heated as the two prior. I'm not sure any personal fouls have been called in the last two games, aside from maybe stuff like facemasks that happen without intention during play. The two previous were filled with flags and stuff.

Union is a remarkably consistent program and it's a shame they couldn't close the deal in 2017 and capture that elusive state title when I believe they had the best team, but this year is shaping up to be even more dominant from Graham and could cement them as the big dog in Region D if they capture two straight titles.

We both still have some huge games ahead of us...

Union still has Graham, Gate City, Ridgeview, Paintsville and Abingdon.

We still have Gate City, Union, Abingdon and Pikeville.

I feel like we will get max points from Shelby Valley (again) as I don't see them losing to anyone in their weak conference in Kentucky 2A. Also, Pikeville beat Paintsville Friday night, so that's a power point for us that Union won't get.

We both still have some huge games ahead of us...

Union still has Graham, Gate City, Ridgeview, Paintsville and Abingdon.

We still have Gate City, Union, Abingdon and Pikeville.

I feel like we will get max points from Shelby Valley (again) as I don't see them losing to anyone in their weak conference in Kentucky 2A. Also, Pikeville beat Paintsville Friday night, so that's a power point for us that Union won't get.

Union has the potential for way more points bc of Graham, but that's only included if Bears win. That would be a pretty massive upset.
Union could beat Ridgeview and still finish behind them in points, as Union has a that date with Graham.

I'm not sure both KY schools (Paintsville and Pikeville) don't beat both VA schools but both games should be toss ups. Does RV go to Pikeville or get them at home?

I think he's probably the best all around player in the region.

Trenton Adkins says otherwise.
Week 1: 21 carries, 357 yards and 5 TD
Week 2: 17 carries, 295 yards and 6 TD

That’s 652 yards on 38 carries, or 17.2 YPC with 11 TD. And that’s playing 2 games where he didn’t really play the second halves.

He’s on pace for 3,260 yards and 55 TD’s.

Lester is good. And is probably the 2nd best athlete in the region. But it’ll be hard pressed to beat Adkins for the title of the best player in 2D, IMO.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Union has the potential for way more points bc of Graham, but that's only included if Bears win. That would be a pretty massive upset.
Union could beat Ridgeview and still finish behind them in points, as Union has a that date with Graham.

I'm not sure both KY schools (Paintsville and Pikeville) don't beat both VA schools but both games should be toss ups. Does RV go to Pikeville or get them at home?

We play Pikeville at their place. I am already conceding that to be an 'L' for us. Pikeville should go 10-0. Shelby Valley should go 9-1. So, in that scenario, that would be 28 rider points for Ridgeview just off of those two opponents alone.

Reactions: BigWinners
What is the significance of McDonalds?

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
What is the significance of McDonalds?
Leading up to playoff game with Union, the Bears fans teased that Graham's uniforms were like McDonald's colors or I believe that was it was. It kept going back & forth but in good fun.
Forgot about the video that started it. I can't remember which ones were in it, maybe the AD & couple others. It was funny but I think when the video was made, they thought they would pull it out.

Last edited:

That’s 652 yards on 38 carries, or 17.2 YPC with 11 TD. And that’s playing 2 games where he didn’t really play the second halves.

Lester is good. And is probably the 2nd best athlete in the region. But it’ll be hard pressed to beat Adkins for the title of the best player in 2D, IMO.
We can agree to disagree then.

And then there was defense. Of which Lester is probably the best defensive back in 2A. He's equally as good on both sides if the ball, and he could play Div 1 as slot WR, DB, and special teams punt/kick returner. That's what separated him and Atkins. Lester is also faster, but it's his defensive prowess (1st team all State last year on both sides of the ball) that makes him different and a cut above.

Leading up to playoff game with Union, the Bears fans teased that Graham's uniforms were like McDonald's colors or I believe that was it was. It kept going back & forth but in good fun.
That video was pretty funny even though we knew an inevitable L was coming. haha

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
And then there was defense. Of which Lester is probably the best defensive back in 2A. He's equally as good on both sides if the ball, and he could play Div 1 as slot WR, DB, and special teams punt/kick returner. That's what separated him and Atkins. Lester is also faster, but it's his defensive prowess (1st team all State last year on both sides of the ball) that makes him different and a cut above.

There’s also a reason Lester is going to ODU (his only FBS offer) as a 3 star (46th in VA), while Adkins is a 4 star (7th in the state) and has offers from Penn St., Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee.

As I said before. He’s a great player, and easily in the top 2. But for me, Adkins is the best player in the region.

Last edited:
Reactions: swva_havok_fan

They are the favorite in my opinion.
Reigning Champs and have a lot back....kinda hard (or naive) to say they aren't in the number one spot right now. .

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWinners
There’s also a reason Lester is going to ODU (his only FBS offer) as a 3 star (46th in VA), while Adkins is a 4 star (7th in the state) and has offers from Penn St., Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee.

As I said before. He’s a great player, and easily in the top 2. But for me, Adkins is the best player in the region.

The discussion was who is the best player in 2A Region D. You have shifted the bar based on projection or what might be at the next level versus what is now. What's now is that Lester is the best 2A player in that region because of his play on both sides. If going by recruiting or projection, it wouldn't be Lester or Adkins. It would be the sophomore, Meadows of Graham who made the freshman All American team.

The discussion was who is the best player in 2A Region D. You have shifted the bar based on projection or what might be at the next level versus what is now. What's now is that Lester is the best 2A player in that region because of his play on both sides. If going by recruiting or projection, it wouldn't be Lester or Adkins. It would be the sophomore, Meadows of Graham who made the freshman All American team.
I’ve also provided stats from Adkins that I believe support an argument to be made for him. The projection stuff is just a small part of the overall equation that most people use.

I'm confused, where is it stated on this board that Graham isn't the favorite? There was the thread that talked about other teams who could/should be contenders, but I haven't seen anywhere where it said Graham wasnt?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT