ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna Coach Resigns

I think coaches are no different than anyone else. Money matters especially a sport that requires the amount of work and time that football does. It is like teaching. If you want to attract the best you offer an attractive package. Salary, insurance, retirement. I agree that coaches have more than one reason for doing it but don't think for a moment that one doesn't look at the compensation for his or her time. Will you get rich teaching and coaching? No. But these people have families and we all want to be successful financially. I'm not disagreeing with your first sentence but to attract quality in anything you need to offer more than the next guy.
One more thing about Gretna football that has hurt them. And this is probably not unique to Gretna. Prunty revived a program that had not been relevant since Slick Andrews or Ken Meadors had some success. Gretna has just not been able to keep these coaches. They have all jumped to go after greener pastures. Of course some have found out that the grass was not that greener. Simpson has been the longest tenured behind Slick Andrews.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Central Office most definitely has the ability to move people, but a position has to be open at a different school as well. When I looked, there were not a lot of openings within the county that were actual teaching positions or positions that are in a field that coaches typically are in ( PE, History). A move like that usually tends to alienate the employee who is moved. I also wonder if contracts have been issued yet, because they usually define the position and location.

Pittsylvania County's facilities are quite poor. Thinking back the past 20 years there have been minimal updates. Weight room at Gretna 15 years ago? Weight room at Chatham a few years back and the moving of the softball field and track a few more back. I think Dan River has a newer weight room as well. The nicest field by far used to be Tunstall and that has gone done hill quickly over the last few years as well.
Dan River definitely does not have a newer weight room - they've gotten some newer equipment and redid the roof but it needs some renovation. Chatham completely renovated their weight room/locker room under Coach Allen and Tunstall I believe has renovated as well.

One more thing about Gretna football that has hurt them. And this is probably not unique to Gretna. Prunty revived a program that had not been relevant since Slick Andrews or Ken Meadors had some success. Gretna has just not been able to keep these coaches. They have all jumped to go after greener pastures. Of course some have found out that the grass was not that greener. Simpson has been the longest tenured behind Slick Andrews.
Mascot, you might be more in the know on Pittsylvania county than any of us. HR6 has mentioned the issues in a multi-school county being that if you buy for one you buy for all. So what is with the disparity in weight rooms then?

Mascot, you might be more in the know on Pittsylvania county than any of us. HR6 has mentioned the issues in a multi-school county being that if you buy for one you buy for all. So what is with the disparity in weight rooms then?
HR6 is correct in that all four schools have been jealous and keep an eye out as to what the other guys are getting. The various buildings that have been built are usually driven by boosters in the community. Gretna has a football field house and baseball has a building for year round pitching/hitting. Both of these buildings were put up from the outside with the exception that football did ask for some funds to get it completed earlier. PS. When the other schools found out about that money they screamed bloody murder. You do for one and the other three hold their hands out. Not sure about Dan River or Tunstall funding and what Chatham has I dont have a clue.

HR6 is correct in that all four schools have been jealous and keep an eye out as to what the other guys are getting. The various buildings that have been built are usually driven by boosters in the community. Gretna has a football field house and baseball has a building for year round pitching/hitting. Both of these buildings were put up from the outside with the exception that football did ask for some funds to get it completed earlier. PS. When the other schools found out about that money they screamed bloody murder. You do for one and the other three hold their hands out. Not sure about Dan River or Tunstall funding and what Chatham has I dont have a clue.
Gretnas field house has new weight benches, etc but the facility itself is in need of renovations and upgrades. It is nearly 20 years old and is getting run down.

Booster clubs (especially sport-specific ones), donations from the community, and support from former players/alumni have been a key. Look at Tunstall's baseball facilities (turf baseball field. All four high schools have a baseball/softball building that is around 10 years old maybe. DR's has gotten new football practice equipments and gear, but the actual weight room was built in the 1980s. We are getting there thought in improving our facilities & coach has express the importance of the weight room for the players and parents. Chatham expanded their building and I think Tunstall and Gretna did too.

Last edited:
Reactions: colonel 72
Sources tell me that 4 individuals have applied for the job @ Gretna. But no names were revealed.
Hope they have more success than Richlands, they still don't have a coach and its now June. It's crazy seeing these big time programs with multiple state titles having such a hard time finding and keeping quality coaches

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
That number seems about right for the time of year and I believe that 7 applied for Halifax when it opened up last year.

Sources tell me that Gretna had 11 applicants for the job. 4 were granted an interview. School board meets tonight. Rumor is they will approve the new coach.
Also I hear Gretna needs a basketball coach, (both boys & girls), track coach, and JV coaches for just about every sport, not to mention football assistant coaches.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Sources tell me that Gretna had 11 applicants for the job. 4 were granted an interview. School board meets tonight. Rumor is they will approve the new coach.
Also I hear Gretna needs a basketball coach, (both boys & girls), track coach, and JV coaches for just about every sport, not to mention football assistant coaches.
What's happening in Gretna? That's a lot of turnover.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT