ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna

tarheel8803

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 13, 2008
I will change my prediction for this year for Gretna.After seeing Tunstall play last week without one of their key players I'll give Gretna that one so instead of 2-8 I'll say 3-7.

Its still very early and Randolph Henry will not match the quality of opponents going forward but after seeing the defense Friday night against the Statesman.....I think Gretna is better
than a 3 win season. How much better depends on how the offense improves. The defense swarms to the ball and should keep the Hawks in most of their games barring no key injuries.

It's most often more about how good is the other guy. Can't really get a good feel on a team until mid season, unless of course you've been playing some high quality programs to start. Early losses can often mean much more than early wins.

I'm not claiming a state title or even a playoff run... But for the exception of heritage last year the Hawks were in a majority of their games and that was with little to no offense... This year appears to be different they have 3 really good backs, a good receiver back in his natural position and what appears to be a stable presence at qb and the more they improve their passing game that could help out against teams who can contain their running game... Hopefully the young o-line will continue to develop.... Either way it will be fun to watch them develop

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I think Gretna can beat Tunstall and Brookville. But one must remember, games are played on the field, not on message board.

If DeMarcus Wimbush and TeAun Carter are cleared to play Friday, Tunstall will win. Gretna beating RH doesn't make me a believer that they are Gretna of old. To Tunstall's defense, Rustburg is probably the 3rd best team behind JF and Brookville (some may even make the argument for Heritage but I'll give it to Rustburg due to what they bring back) in the Seminole, which is saying a lot. Tunstall historically have struggled with Rustburg. Last year Rustburg WHIPPED them and Tunstall went on to go 7-3, though they did have one of the best defensive players in the state in Caleb Ashworth who is now at Cincinnati. Tunstall's QBs aren't very good (nothing personal, I know both of the young men, SMART/GOOD kids, but too inexperienced) but I have no doubt that Coach Potts will find somebody to step into that role. He's the type of coach that if he has a 400 pound lineman who can play the QB position, he'll use him. He finds a way to win.

Last edited:
Brookville has good defense, but I don't think their offense is clicking on all cylinders.
Gretna needs to be prepared for a team that can beat you through the air as effectively as they do on the ground. If Brookville's offense is clicking Gretna better hope their team is much improved from last year.

Is there just less talent at Brookville these days or lower tier coaching after Coach Woody left? Did he see the talent coming up and head for the hills? I feel like Brookville was always good for years

I herd Gretna Lost one of there better Players over the wekend playing back Yard football Bojack who's a senior and a very good player. Broke his foot is what the Gretna people are saying.

I think they will beat Tunstall but definitely not Brookville.Saying that losing to a 3A not that bad . Either way it's s win win situation at least they are playing bigger schools like Brookville & Heritage and they can get better from it .

I look for Tunstall to play a "slow down" game. Run ball up middle, take extra time in huddle, try to burn the clock. This type of football sucks. I wish rule makers would ban huddles, ban QBs going to sideline to get play, and force refs blow ball ready for play when ball is spotted, not wait for a team to huddle up and QB return from sideline.

I look for Tunstall to play a "slow down" game. Run ball up middle, take extra time in huddle, try to burn the clock. This type of football sucks. I wish rule makers would ban huddles, ban QBs going to sideline to get play, and force refs blow ball ready for play when ball is spotted, not wait for a team to huddle up and QB return from sideline.
Hopefully, that was just a statement for effect.

I hate seeing teams play that type of football. It's boring to watch. I call it Chicken ______ Football.

I doubt Tunstall uses a true QB tonight so I doubt they play "slow ball" @Hampton Roads 6. Potts is a master at the "Wildcat" and I look for them to run that all night. With Tunstall's offensive line being so strong up front, I think this works to their advantage. They almost beat Monticello last year thanks to Pott's Wildcat formation.I'd keep an eye on Lovelace, just a sophomore. He had a good game last week and Tunstall will have the ball in his hands. Wimbush and Carter (had 3 or 4 interceptions on Gretna last year) won't play tonight so we shall see what happens.

Offensive lines are important, but a team still needs a "stud" at QB or RB. One of best offensive lines I ever saw went 2-8, because they had no stud at RB or QB, plus they were too conservative and tried to run ball all night.

Is there just less talent at Brookville these days or lower tier coaching after Coach Woody left? Did he see the talent coming up and head for the hills? I feel like Brookville was always good for years
Winning a state championship every year is pretty high expectations. Brookville had a good season last year and they are off to a good start this year. Woody is now at glass and not sure how good they are.

Offensive lines are important, but a team still needs a "stud" at QB or RB. One of best offensive lines I ever saw went 2-8, because they had no stud at RB or QB, plus they were too conservative and tried to run ball all night.
How would you rectify this problem if you were a Coach? Wouldn't you assume the best available is already at that position?

Dsh.We all have kids out in div.2 ball.We had 3 very good starters out.Couple of those 4 turnovers in the 1st half which Hawks will fix score would been worse. That make us good as Rust burg lol . Gretna will use this game to learn.Tunstall must move on and learn.

I hate seeing teams play that type of football. It's boring to watch. I call it Chicken ______ Football.
I call it being men. I also call it "How to win a state championship."

I do agree that QB's should not be allowed to run over to the sideline for a play. I also agree that once the ball is spotted the ready for play whistle should be blown (barring very strange circumstances).

I find nothing boring about a team that can rush for 500 yards a game. I find nothing boring about a 0-0 game like Phoebus played Friday night. I find nothing boring about football (other than referees who take weeks to mark off penalties) and I would have loved watching it in 1903 before the forward pass was legal.

I can see basketball during basketball season. A bunch of girls in shorts throwing up three pointers and yelling "foul" if they get touched. I don't need to see it during football season. Men need to smash into other men hard at least one season of the year.

I do agree that QB's should not be allowed to run over to the sideline for a play. I also agree that once the ball is spotted the ready for play whistle should be blown (barring very strange circumstances)

Banning the huddle however, seems a little over the top.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Thats all part of strategy. When a teams skill set is to drive the ball and they play a fast pace team that is called strategy and coaching . So in turn you have to get a team off there game plan. If you can get up by couple of scores or more you can force them to speed up. Definitely need to spot ball and start game clock but what you do in that time is up to you.

Teams should not be allowed to "stall" and burn clock until the 4th quarter when they have a lead. I hate it when a team just stands around the field letting clock run.

Develop a QB and a passing game.
But the best available is already playing that position. Does that mean the Coachs are not developing him? Isn't he getting enough reps? Does it also mean the program is not already developing QB's at the JV level in preparation for Varsity? Perhaps the offense is being dictated by what they can do rather than what they can't. You have a Vic Hall, you're chucking the rock all over and letting him make plays with his legs. You do that with your average QB, you're turning the ball over all night and fan's would be calling for the Coach's head for being so stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT