ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna

With Gretna's speed, they should be throwing it 20-25 times a game, from the spread.
That would be logical IF they were a spread team which they are not. Their QB is not suited to the spread. He does just fine in the system they are using. Alabama is just fine being Alabama but Alabama might not be fine being someone else.

Reactions: VolNation85
That would be logical IF they were a spread team which they are not. Their QB is not suited to the spread. He does just fine in the system they are using. Alabama is just fine being Alabama but Alabama might not be fine being someone else.

HR6 thinks every team should be in spread and throw it all over the yard. He thinks a team like Riverheads that has a whole lot of success in their Wing T should be in spread. Anything besides spread is boring to him.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
HR6 has been consistent in that line of thinking. Gretna appears to be ready to challenge in region C this year. Good for them and since its a G team, there is always a chance.

Reactions: 19GHS87
HR6 has been consistent in that line of thinking. Gretna appears to be ready to challenge in region C this year. Good for them and since its a G team, there is always a chance.
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said that a foolish consistency was the hobgoblin of a little mind. Just saying.

I just hate seeing a QB under center. I wish NFHS would change rules and require every snap be taken from shot gun formation. This is 2019, not 1949.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I just hate seeing a QB under center. I wish NFHS would change rules and require every snap be taken from shot gun formation. This is 2019, not 1949.
I realize that u like to make these statements to get something going. But think about what you are saying. Would u penalize schools that have had success over the years including state championships simply because u dont like a QB under center. Suppose the NFHS banned the QB in the shotgun? Why can't you enjoy the diversity that is high school football in our state? We have football in the smallest of communities in the western part of the state to huge schools in the most populated parts. Why would u want to legislate what type of O or D a team could use? But again i realize u like to make these non-sensical statements just for their effect.

1949 most everyone was still running a version of the single wing. Not many had gone to the qb under center snap yet. Had a uncle who played half back on the undefeated 1955 Mavahi team and he always talked about them running the single wing. Now HR if you would have said 1959 couldnt argue. Teams should run whatever offense suits their personnel.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I realize that u like to make these statements to get something going. But think about what you are saying. Would u penalize schools that have had success over the years including state championships simply because u dont like a QB under center. Suppose the NFHS banned the QB in the shotgun? Why can't you enjoy the diversity that is high school football in our state? We have football in the smallest of communities in the western part of the state to huge schools in the most populated parts. Why would u want to legislate what type of O or D a team could use? But again i realize u like to make these non-sensical statements just for their effect.

You're aware he is likely being tongue in cheek right?

Alabama runs 5-wide, wide open West Coast concepts almost exclusively now.

A team can run it out of a 4-5 wide set just as well as they can pass it. If HR6 likes the spread and sling it, then more power to him. Gretna is good enough this year to be efficient what ever they choose. Don't sleep on this team.

A team can run it out of a 4-5 wide set just as well as they can pass it. If HR6 likes the spread and sling it, then more power to him. Gretna is good enough this year to be efficient what ever they choose. Don't sleep on this team.

They usually have had skills to do it, with a differing degree of success. And HR6 is a Gretna fan. The issue is that he thinks EVERYONE should do it. So take out Riverheads, Stonebridge, Massaponax just to name a few who have had a lot of success with their system.

You're aware he is likely being tongue in cheek right?
One would think BUT HE IS NOT SAYING THIS TONGUE IN CHEEK. He actually believes it. Gretna fans have heard this for years. In and out of season. At games and at Mcdonalds. Everyone should run the spread. VHSL should mandate it.

Once again, I just hate to see a QB under center. If a team is going to run a "wing offense", run the Single Wing. That's exciting to watch, (but not as much as spread). QB under center to me is boring football.
After 3 weeks of season, I have only watched one quarter of football. In years past I would have seen 3, maybe 4 games by now.

Once again, I just hate to see a QB under center. If a team is going to run a "wing offense", run the Single Wing. That's exciting to watch, (but not as much as spread). QB under center to me is boring football.
After 3 weeks of season, I have only watched one quarter of football. In years past I would have seen 3, maybe 4 games by now.

So it sounds like your beloved Hawks are running the Wing T. Are you saying that you would rather your team run a different offense (and maybe not fair as well) as opposed to them winning?

There are a whole bunch of teams in this state and all other states who "try" to run a spread and are bad at it. If they ran something different they may have more success. I would much prefer to watch a team who does something well, even if they run the ball every play then to watch a team throw it 50 times and complete 10 of them.

Just a couple of schools would beg to differ that having a QB under center is so bad, Salem and Riverheads just to name 2. They have had a bit of success.

I have no issue with the spread, shotgun, any offense. But to say everyone should run one thing, no matter what their skill set may be is ludicrous. And that would make football extremely boring. There would be no reason to prepare, you already know what is going to happen each week.

But I do agree with you on the QB coming to sideline. I can see it in slim cases (where a new QB is playing, i.e. no experience or in those cases could be even a JV player in a blowout), but in most cases there is a bunch of other ways to get a play in

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
HR6 says everyone should run the spread. Then for the next week or two y’all complain and argue with him about what he said. This is the ongoing routine at least once a season every year. Seems like y’all would stop wasting your time. You know it won’t change his thinking.

It took me two times arguing to see the pattern. He has his view and nothing is changing it.
You folks are correct of course. His mind is made up and it will remain so. Plus as I well knew he loves to do this sort of thing just for the effect. You ought to see the posts he makes on hokie haven. LOL.

I don't care what Gretna runs. I just hope they don't run it well this coming weekend.

You folks are correct of course. His mind is made up and it will remain so. Plus as I well knew he loves to do this sort of thing just for the effect. You ought to see the posts he makes on hokie haven. LOL.
Colonel 72 , do you know my friend Birdie in Gretna, if so please give him a message that Burg is thinking of him.

@colonel 72, are you trying to catch it over the air or stream it online? It appears that you can stream it if that would help you. I see it available but haven't tried it so good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT