ADVERTISEMENT

GW-27 RH-49 FINAL!!!

GW-21 RH-42 4:14 4th Q CCC takes it 85 yards after GW goes 4 and out in the RedZone. Damn that kid is special

I haven't seen a Riverheads team make this many mistakes in one game in a long time....GW has to capitalize
And the scarier part is they more than likely could have been called for quite a few more false starts, their backfield falls forward quite a bit prior to the snap, or at least it looks that way.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
GW-21 RH-49 2:17 4th Q CCC again for number 5 on one of the craziest runs I've ever seen. My god fellas we are lucky to be able to say we've gotten to see this young man play. Every time I've seen this dude he has balled out and I've never seen him be anything other than respectful.

Reactions: Optimal62
The QB Smith, The WR Houston a couple linemen and some really good kids coming up. I can definitely see GW making it back next season.
Those 2 are some of the bigger names coming back but we have others returning big #71 is a So I believe. So GW should be a problem again next season.

Congrats on a heck of a season and a hard fought game George Wythe. You all played hard and fought till the end. And Congrats for the SEVENTH time in a row to the Gladiators of Riverheads. I just have one question. You guys got PRIDE?!?!

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Congrats to Riverheads on number 7 in a row nothing but respect for that program, the kids and that community. I absolutely hate that GW couldn't get the job done today but those boys did everything I thought they would they never backed down they never quit and they proved they belong imo. And if MY MAROONS had to drop one to anyone at least it was THE BIG RED MACHINE! The better team won today no doubt they earned number 7. I 100% believe had GW played any other 1A team today we would've won and I also believe they proved themselves to be second only to the king this year.

To the seniors of GW thank you all so much for busting your ass week in and week out for us fans to have something to talk about. I know the pain you're feeling all to well no I was never lucky enough to play in the championship game. We were sent home a week early and that pain is real now is the time to lean on your teammates. They've helped you get this far and they'll continue to be there for you. Again thank you so much for putting it all on the line and giving all you had over the last 4 years.

And to Colton Green I know you more than any other player on this team. I've known you father my whole life and I've known you your whole life. You've grown into an amazing young man with an incredible future in front of you. I told you last year after Galax ended your season that it was only a game. I also told you that the game we all love is a learning moment in every young man's life who plays it. This game we love is meant to teach you life lessons of how to deal with adversity with the losses. And it teaches you how to win with dignity and respect for your opponent. It teaches you that as a young man you can achieve great things if you set yourself to it. And that with the right people at your side not your back nothing in life is impossible. And today's loss only further proves that as life will go on yes it hurts a lot but the pain will go away but the memories you've made with your brothers in MAROON will not.

Lastly young man you're 10x the player I ever was that might not mean much at all to some. But as a former player of the game we love that is the highest respect I can pay to you because I know what I gave to this game. Thank you Colton for playing this game with integrity and respect. Now the real game starts take the lessons you've learned and apply them to life they aren't the only lessons you'll need but they'll help you on your journey. Nothing but love #53 GG.

CCC is amazing. What I love the most about him is after each touchdown. No flashy celebration just give the ball to the official and go on. GW fought hard just not their day
Honestly I should've said who we don't have coming back. The Jollay brothers, Fowler, Green are the main losses there are more but those will hurt the most.

Officiating left much to be desired. The better team won, but there were bad calls both ways. I suspected it would be bad when the official threw a flag before the ball was even whistled into play to start the game. What was up with that??
I was thoroughly impressed with GW. There's a lot of talent and fight on that team. Discipline too. Riverheads? Well, they are who they said they are.

Officiating left much to be desired. The better team won, but there were bad calls both ways. I suspected it would be bad when the official threw a flag before the ball was even whistled into play to start the game. What was up with that??
I was thoroughly impressed with GW. There's a lot of talent and fight on that team. Discipline too. Riverheads? Well, they are who they said they are.

Yes bad refs today and no play clock for most of the game

Congrats Riverheads! Truly an honor. The bar has once again been raised for Virginia 1A football. I have nothing but full respect and admiration for the program you guys have built. I will be cheering you guys on from afar (unless, of course, we happen to meet again lol)

A huge thank you to the George Wythe football team, coaching staff, and administration....What a memorable year! You gave your all for your brothers on the field and the community behind you. I could not be any more proud of you all and to be a Maroon.

Is it August yet?

Lots for me to unpack about this game but I will be back later to do that. I wanted to slide in real quick and say that I was impressed by GW today and to congratulate them on the season. It didn’t end the way you wanted but that is far and away the 2nd best team I watched play the Gladiators this year.

Congratulations to GW on a great season. Hope its nothing serious to those injured players. Congratulations to coach Norcross and the rest of the coaches on another great season. Nobody has been more critical of coach Norcross than me at the beginning of the season with the excess penalties and seemingly lack of discipline. For that I have to apologize. You and your staff did a phenomenal job getting them playing their best ball when it counted most. I truly didnt believe the 7th consecutive would happen. You proved me wrong. Now its on to try and get 8. I think were in good hands with Norcross if he decides to stick around. Best of luck in 2A next year, get that first one in 2A to quiet all these enrollment doubters. Cant wait for next season to start.

The move to Class 2 couldn’t happen at a more ideal time. Coach Casto’s legacy is solidified (in my opinion) by this championship following his exit. Real programs sustain. Good for Riverheads!

Now Norcross can chart his own legacy in Class 2!

FjpKf6OVUAA-tE4

Curious as to why GW didn’t stay in trips formation more often. The safety was playing
5-10 yards off the receiver the entire game. Also why didn’t they take more shots down field

I made a day of it and for that reason I am late chiming in tonight, which is actually Sunday morning by now! Due to all the many comments, just about every point that I would have considered making has already been made so I will just throw a few random thoughts out there.

First of all, I can certainly understand all the criticism of the officials. There were three different events that had just about everyone shaking their heads......

A) the flag before the opening kickoff. The only thing I could figure was that the GW kicker did not hear the ref's whistle or maybe he didn't even blow it. But since they waved it off I guess it doesn't matter.

B) the questionable first down that Riverheads was awarded when it appeared to many people (myself included) that the runner might have been a few inches short. At any rate, I was stunned when they didn't measure.

C) all the confusion when GW tried its onside kick. If I remember, they flagged them once and then blew the play dead a second time. But it was never made clear what it was all about.

My next observation would be that this was a relatively even game for 3 1/2 quarters, but unfortunately for GW, those were the LAST 3 1/2. When Luke and CCC each ran those sweeps and gave RHS the early two touchdown lead, that put GW in a hole they could not climb out of. But aside from those two plays, it seemed to be that each team had a pretty fair amount of success with its own game plan.

However, having said that, as MANY people have stated, CCC was just a beast today. His five TDs sets a new school record (most TDs scored by an individual in a state final...he was previously tied with his four TD effort last year and a four TD game by Harrison Schaefer in 2016.)

I have heard on the news tonight that RHS rushed for almost 500 yards today, so it is worth noting that all seven touchdowns were scored standing up and being in the end zone all alone at the end of the play. I can't quite say that they were all "untouched", although six of them were. As for that final miraculous CCC score I think even the lady in the concession stand touched him on that one! What a wild play!

As for GW, I was impressed of course by their effort and the fact that they kept trying to bounce back. But since even their own fans have mentioned this, I will have to agree that their lengthy time between play calls worked against them. By taking so much time off the clock, they were hurting themselves.

Also, and I had been told this would happen, they squib kicked on every kickoff, so that played right into Riverheads' hand. You don't give a powerful offense the shortest possible field to navigate.

So Title Number Ten is in the books and as noted we move up to 2-A next year. That will be quite interesting to say the least.

I won't even hazard a guess as to who might be back in Salem for the 1-A final but Sussex impressed me, and Essex will always be there. As for the C/D side of things, it sounds as if GW and Galax will always be in the mix, but I have no idea if Grundy's semi-final run was just a one-time thing.

For me personally I am ready to see if RHS' run and gun offense in basketball will continue (see the basketball thread if interested for details on Wednesday's 50 point season-opening win) and I was also excited to hear that Houston lost in college ball today. And with Texas losing earlier this week, guess Hoo should be number one when the next poll comes out????

Last but not least, congrats to Coach Norcross and his staff. We knew you could do it!

Reactions: Bama1985
One more comment............Hats off to fullback Cody Cash, who had two or three tough runs today to either get a first down or keep a drive alive. He has been a valuable weapon this season every time the Big Red felt that the opposing defense was keying on the two stud running backs.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT