ADVERTISEMENT

GW 42 Amherst 15

Not taking anything away from GW, but Amherst made it easy tonight. A ton of mistakes they didn’t make in their first two games - namely turnovers inside the red zone 4 times, only one of which was forced. Again, not taking anything away from GW, their offense was clicking for sure.

Not taking anything away from GW, but Amherst made it easy tonight. A ton of mistakes they didn’t make in their first two games - namely turnovers inside the red zone 4 times, only one of which was forced. Again, not taking anything away from GW, their offense was clicking for sure.
Maybe the GW defense is clicking. Worm Poole is one of the best in Class 4. He disrupted a lot tonight.

Maybe the GW defense is clicking. Worm Poole is one of the best in Class 4. He disrupted a lot tonight.
I was wrong, 5 including the one where Amherst fumbled literally crossing the end zone at the end of the game. And again, only one of which was caused by the GW defense

I was wrong, 5 including the one where Amherst fumbled literally crossing the end zone at the end of the game. And again, only one of which was caused by the GW defense
Poole had two forced fumbles tonight. He’s got 8 of GW’s 17 takeaways this year.

wow well I can say there is no chest beating going here Bo Knows I take it your a Worm Poole fan I didn’t know that also I wonder why
Amherst made it so easy on GW tonight I thought Amherst played hard Maybe GW was
Just lucky hope the luck can hold out for the Eagles you know what they say sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good

wow well I can say there is no chest beating going here Bo Knows I take it your a Worm Poole fan I didn’t know that also I wonder why
Amherst made it so easy on GW tonight I thought Amherst played hard Maybe GW was
Just lucky hope the luck can hold out for the Eagles you know what they say sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good
I am a GW homer. Been watching GW Football a long time. Worm is the best defensive lineman GW has had since Chris McDuffie. Didn’t say he’s on that level, but he’s gifted. If he had Carlos’s height, he’d be one of the top recruits in the nation.

@Mic Honcho I’m at awe at the strides Donavan Howard has taken. He is up there with Logan from Salem for top athlete in the Region. Don’t like to compare players but he reminds me a lot of Malik Clements.

Worm went off. He is a very good D lineman.

Amherst beat Liberty and JF. That’s not saying a whole lot. GW was the first quality opponent they played. Amherst will get better.
Amherst is very young and talented. They had way too many turnovers. They will get better and even better next year.

Reactions: lyhsports
Yea not sure what to make of Amherst they beat up on two bad teams and got thumped by a good team. In my opinion they are not as good as they looked against JF and Bedford and not as bad as they looked against GW. Solid team that is young and will continue to get better as time goes on.
Spot on! They play Glass next week. That should be a good measuring stick for them as well considering Glass beat GW 42-32 and lost a close one to HHS.

Glass looks to be the most explosive team in the Region. Amherst still has a chance to prove themselves. Glass, Heritage, LCA,and Rustburg will be huge games and will have major playoff implications.

Don't forget GW played Glass w/out Byrnes at QB. Howard and freshman Cabell played well enough to keep GW in that one. Eagles offense is better and definitely more explosive w/ JB at controls. He was a little off last night.

The Lancers are solid. They are well coached but they appeared to wear down last night. The turnovers hurt but weren't a couple of those 4th down stops by the GW defense? I guess they count too but give the GW defense credit. Led by Poole they got it done when they needed to.

Saying the turnovers weren't forced is also a stretch. You can see GW defenders constantly ripping at the ball and the penetration caused mainly by Poole was disruptive to say the least. It's hard to handle the ball with a 280 pounder colliding with you at the mesh point.

I mostly agree with you assessment, GW defense did cause a couple turnovers, but 3 times a lancer running back lost control of the ball and fumbled with zero contact. So to say a zero contact fumble was caused by the defense is also a stretch.

Reactions: wikki
Saw where Shy Watlington is one of the top 2a players in North Carolina. Reidsville is the #1 2a team and Shy leads them in just about everything but passing. If he was at GW still, I’d say they get over the hump this year. They still look good without him.

Judge for yourself
Oh I’m sorry did you miss the part where I said that GW did cause some fumbles? Seems a pretty difficult concept to grasp, but two things can be true at the same time. GW caused some fumbles and Amherst just gave it away a couple times; GW is good and Amherst also played less than they’re capable of and made it easier than it would have been otherwise(still think GW would have won). But for some reason, the same folks that cried “but we didn’t have our starting QB against glass!” are some of the same folks unwilling to concede that Amherst made some careless mistakes that made it a little easier on GW. (And side note, Amherst defense was also without four starters…. and I still think GW would have won….)

Oh I’m sorry did you miss the part where I said that GW did cause some fumbles? Seems a pretty difficult concept to grasp, but two things can be true at the same time. GW caused some fumbles and Amherst just gave it away a couple times; GW is good and Amherst also played less than they’re capable of and made it easier than it would have been otherwise(still think GW would have won). But for some reason, the same folks that cried “but we didn’t have our starting QB against glass!” are some of the same folks unwilling to concede that Amherst made some careless mistakes that made it a little easier on GW. (And side note, Amherst defense was also without four starters…. and I still think GW would have won….)
I don’t even believe you know what you said. You initially said only 1 fumble was caused by GW’s defense, then you corrected it just to go back to saying that Amherst’s mistakes are the biggest reason that GW’s defense looked good. You confused the heck out of me too. GW was the better team. Glass was the better team when they beat GW a few weeks back. No Danville fans will argue that.

I don’t even believe you know what you said. You initially said only 1 fumble was caused by GW’s defense, then you corrected it just to go back to saying that Amherst’s mistakes are the biggest reason that GW’s defense looked good. You confused the heck out of me too. GW was the better team. Glass was the better team when they beat GW a few weeks back. No Danville fans will argue that.
Yeah I said that I originally misspoke. But show me where I said that Amherst’s mistakes were the biggest reason GW looked so good. I literally said, “not to take ANYTHING away from GW…”

I think the way Worm was playing so aggressively and in the backfield most of the night sometimes it gets into the head of the running backs and they will momentarily take their eyes off the ball

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I think the way Worm was playing so aggressively and in the backfield most of the night sometimes it gets into the head of the running backs and they will momentarily take their eyes off the ball
Worm is the best d lineman in the region. The young man Martindale at Salem is really good too.

Reactions: VolNation85
Worm is the best d lineman in the region. The young man Martindale at Salem is really good too.
I agree! Glass has a freshmen DE (Sam Treacy) that will be really good the next few years. He has an explosive first step and is naturally good with his hands. He still has to get MUCH stronger to take on blocks but I think he will be an all-region or all-state player before he graduates.

I agree! Glass has a freshmen DE (Sam Treacy) that will be really good the next few years. He has an explosive first step and is naturally good with his hands. He still has to get MUCH stronger to take on blocks but I think he will be an all-region or all-state player before he graduates.
Glass may shock the Region this year. Salem’s Salem but Glass’s passing game is lethal, they play physical ball, they’ll without question be the most battletested contender in the region and they have arguably the best coaching staff. Hoping my Eagles make some noise but can’t dispute the above facts.

Reactions: VolNation85
Glass may shock the Region this year. Salem’s Salem but Glass’s passing game is lethal, they play physical ball, they’ll without question be the most battletested contender in the region and they have arguably the best coaching staff. Hoping my Eagles make some noise but can’t dispute the above facts.
Region 4D is better than most people think or realize. As you said, Salem is Salem but GW, Glass, Western Albemarle, and Louisa are all quality programs.

Thanks for the info on classifications. I could have sworn there were 12 teams in Region D for 4A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT