ADVERTISEMENT

GW Danville 62 Halifax 20

Update:
2,056 yards rushing with 27 TDs.
Yards needed to break David Wilson's Single Season Rushing Record: 235
Number to beat David Wilson's single season TD Record: 8
I don't know if he gets it Friday night against MV but barring injury, should break it in the playoffs. Friday was his 6th consecutive 200 yard game. GW also has won 6 in a row. Big one against the 2x Defending 3a Champs this week in The Hole.

Update:
2,056 yards rushing with 27 TDs.
Yards needed to break David Wilson's Single Season Rushing Record: 235
Number to beat David Wilson's single season TD Record: 8
I don't know if he gets it Friday night against MV but barring injury, should break it in the playoffs. Friday was his 6th consecutive 200 yard game. GW also has won 6 in a row. Big one against the 2x Defending 3a Champs this week in The Hole.
Great season with a lot of yards. Congratulations to him! Records really do not mean much anymore as GW's schedule is not comparable to historical opposition and that is before a discussion is even entertained regarding padding stats in a blowout. In Forest's defense he can do no more than play the schedule he is given and he really is the only true weapon GW has at present. Come playoff time you can expect the opposition to do what was done against Wilson and put 3 or 4 guys on him and dare the other 10 to beat your remaining 7 or 8. To Wilson's credit he was able to get his team a playoff victory despite that strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Cutnjump you're very very knowledgeable. I agree with 90% of everything you said. In 08 GW ONLY had David Wilson. After David left, they struggled big time until the 2012 season, almost as if the program was still coping his graduation. In 08 GW had NO QUARTERBACK, their only decent receiver was their punter and Defensively was a two man wrecking crew of Tahron Goods (when healthy) and Terrence Cooper. David got his yardage (300+ in both games) in a two game regular season series with a struggling Franklin Co in which they lost the first and barely beat them the second game, a very bad Matoaca, Halifax and Parkland (NC) team and they got blown out by their only competition which was Amherst and Varina. He did have a nice game against an underachieving Fleming team, a game in which GW lost. This year the competition is a worse but they're not a if you stop Forest, you beat the whole team. You're correct, 9 sometimes 10 would stack the box on David. Teams have done this to Forest too but GW does have a good quarterback in Sam Branch (I'll say a top 4 QB in 4a West) and good receivers in Devante Grasty, Henry Barley and Deshawn Wallace. Back up sophomore RB Carl Poole Jr. has also racked up yardage when he's got in. Forest has had 4 games that he only played until the 3rd quarter, David played every game for the full 48 min. I do think the competition was a little bigger and stronger when David played, but after Halifax, Patrick and Bassett, I think that the competition has been respectable.

Cutnjump you're very very knowledgeable. I agree with 90% of everything you said. In 08 GW ONLY had David Wilson. After David left, they struggled big time until the 2012 season, almost as if the program was still coping his graduation. In 08 GW had NO QUARTERBACK, their only decent receiver was their punter and Defensively was a two man wrecking crew of Tahron Goods (when healthy) and Terrence Cooper. David got his yardage (300+ in both games) in a two game regular season series with a struggling Franklin Co in which they lost the first and barely beat them the second game, a very bad Matoaca, Halifax and Parkland (NC) team and they got blown out by their only competition which was Amherst and Varina. He did have a nice game against an underachieving Fleming team, a game in which GW lost. This year the competition is a worse but they're not a if you stop Forest, you beat the whole team. You're correct, 9 sometimes 10 would stack the box on David. Teams have done this to Forest too but GW does have a good quarterback in Sam Branch (I'll say a top 4 QB in 4a West) and good receivers in Devante Grasty, Henry Barley and Deshawn Wallace. Back up sophomore RB Carl Poole Jr. has also racked up yardage when he's got in. Forest has had 4 games that he only played until the 3rd quarter, David played every game for the full 48 min. I do think the competition was a little bigger and stronger when David played, but after Halifax, Patrick and Bassett, I think that the competition has been respectable.
Thanks for the reply. I will try and give you a better response tomorrow after I have had a little time to think back. Memory is not what it once was and I will concede my view of the current team may not be entirely accurate as I have seen them more on film than in person. I saw that 2008 team in person on multiple occasions. Having said that, my initial perception is that David had far more help on offense than Forest. Goods and Benion(when healthy) were huge running threats as well and easily greater offensive threats than anybody, besides Forest, on the current team, in my opinion. This along with the ground and pound philosophy meant there wasn't much through the air and consequently Moore(GW had No QB - your words) has limited passing statistics. More importantly, there was no need for him to run much with the other three. All that is to say I think Moore did what he was asked to do. I would imagine Branch and the current receivers win the statistical battle purely with the difference in offensive philosophy. My perception of the schedule strength differs as well and I will try and explain a little further in reply tomorrow. I expect the next couple of weeks will also provide clarity as to whether the real GW team was the early season version or the one on display the last five or six weeks.

Thanks for the reply. I will try and give you a better response tomorrow after I have had a little time to think back. Memory is not what it once was and I will concede my view of the current team may not be entirely accurate as I have seen them more on film than in person. I saw that 2008 team in person on multiple occasions. Having said that, my initial perception is that David had far more help on offense than Forest. Goods and Benion(when healthy) were huge running threats as well and easily greater offensive threats than anybody, besides Forest, on the current team, in my opinion. This along with the ground and pound philosophy meant there wasn't much through the air and consequently Moore(GW had No QB - your words) has limited passing statistics. More importantly, there was no need for him to run much with the other three. All that is to say I think Moore did what he was asked to do. I would imagine Branch and the current receivers win the statistical battle purely with the difference in offensive philosophy. My perception of the schedule strength differs as well and I will try and explain a little further in reply tomorrow. I expect the next couple of weeks will also provide clarity as to whether the real GW team was the early season version or the one on display the last five or six weeks.
D*mn! You're good! I'd like to meet you one day. Very very knowledgeable of your stuff sir! I agreed with you the first time and I can't agree more with this post.

D*mn! You're good! I'd like to meet you one day. Very very knowledgeable of your stuff sir! I agreed with you the first time and I can't agree more with this post.
Thanks. Has more to do with perspective formed over watching a lot of games through the years. Saw Alger Pugh's first season so I have been around a while. Although that does not seem to be helping in the pickem this year. ;-)

Here is the follow up as promised from my perspective. From a schedule perspective, relatively speaking they are probably not that different but, my comment comes more from the belief that quality of play has significantly declined over the years. That is not to say there are not good players currently who would have been good in earlier years, there are, however, from a complete team perspective, particularly where GW is concerned, I do not believe the current versions would match up very well at all. Vance and upcoming Magna Vista would be considered very good opponents in my opinion while in 2008 Varina and Amherst fit that bill. Varina is not Vance and Magna Vista is not 2008 Amherst. All in all a wash. The bottom end of the schedule Bassett, Halifax and Patrick in the current year matches up with Halifax and PH from 2008. I think the 2008 teams were stronger by a noticeable amount. In my opinion, Parkland, Matoaca, FC, Glass and Fleming were middle of the road compared to Glass, FC, Tunstall and Martinsville in the current year. The 08 version of FC is much better than the current version of FC while the current version of Glass is better than the 08 version of Glass. I would take Parkland and Matoaca over the current versions of Tunstall and Martinsville. As I said before, probably be much clearer after the remaining week and playoffs. I haven't seen enough of the other West QB's to say where Branch stacks up, other than to say I think both the Salem QB and the Amherst QB(prior to injury) are better. Everybody has an opinion to which they are entitled. Enjoyed the discussion. Maybe Tommy or Lewis will chime in with another perspective

Thanks. Has more to do with perspective formed over watching a lot of games through the years. Saw Alger Pugh's first season so I have been around a while. Although that does not seem to be helping in the pickem this year. ;-)

Here is the follow up as promised from my perspective. From a schedule perspective, relatively speaking they are probably not that different but, my comment comes more from the belief that quality of play has significantly declined over the years. That is not to say there are not good players currently who would have been good in earlier years, there are, however, from a complete team perspective, particularly where GW is concerned, I do not believe the current versions would match up very well at all. Vance and upcoming Magna Vista would be considered very good opponents in my opinion while in 2008 Varina and Amherst fit that bill. Varina is not Vance and Magna Vista is not 2008 Amherst. All in all a wash. The bottom end of the schedule Bassett, Halifax and Patrick in the current year matches up with Halifax and PH from 2008. I think the 2008 teams were stronger by a noticeable amount. In my opinion, Parkland, Matoaca, FC, Glass and Fleming were middle of the road compared to Glass, FC, Tunstall and Martinsville in the current year. The 08 version of FC is much better than the current version of FC while the current version of Glass is better than the 08 version of Glass. I would take Parkland and Matoaca over the current versions of Tunstall and Martinsville. As I said before, probably be much clearer after the remaining week and playoffs. I haven't seen enough of the other West QB's to say where Branch stacks up, other than to say I think both the Salem QB and the Amherst QB(prior to injury) are better. Everybody has an opinion to which they are entitled. Enjoyed the discussion. Maybe Tommy or Lewis will chime in with another perspective
Thanks Cutnjump. I agree verbatim. Your point of "I do not believe the current versions would match up very well at all" is what I discuss a lot. IMO, high school football in general isn't what it used to be. Players, support, etc just isn't what it used to be. Mediocre teams like Halifax and Franklin County had big boys and D1 talent on their teams during this time (Halifax: Rodale Pippen-Grambling St, Allen Stephens-Virginia Tech/Morgan ST, Franklin Co: Hassan Craig- Norfolk St, Ray Keys- UVA) , you get my jist... You just don't see that today. I think Fleming had a D1 player or two also (Shaquan Manning and RB Johnson). Week in and week out you had someone respectable on the other side of the football. I would love to know what @Lewis918777 and @tommythecpa thinks as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT