ADVERTISEMENT

GW Danville...

@DanvilleSportsHead & @Lewis918777....

I have said it many times that I don’t know if I 100% trust GW to show up every night and be the same team. I feel the same way about Monacan but I am starting to believe we will show up and play mistake free football every night.

No doubt GW has an amazing offense and talent everywhere. NO QUESTION!!

Are you both ready to plant that flag and say I 100% trust this team to not beat itself in a big game?

If you are ready to say that... I think it is pretty cool and I don’t have a problem with it at all!

I’d love to see GW do some serious damage in the west. I do think Salem and B.B. are big hurdles. Your region is top to bottom the toughest and the gap between the 1-4 &4-8 is the smallest of all the regions.

And no one here besides GW fans gives QB Poole any credit. I wonder why. The kid has top tier D1 QB written all over him.
Top tier D1? As in Power 5? I could not find him in any of (a few) lists for the class of 2019; could you give an indication where he is ranked?

Top tier D1? As in Power 5? I could not find him in any of (a few) lists for the class of 2019; could you give an indication where he is ranked?
He played JV last year. 6’4 185 with 4.5 speed. Offers will come this Summer. His twin brother, Carl, will definitely play big time college football. One of the hardest hitters I’ve seen at the high school level.

pic.png

Reactions: 1Gensfan and wikki
I’d love to see GW do some serious damage in the west. I do think Salem and B.B. are big hurdles. Your region is top to bottom the toughest and the gap between the 1-4 &4-8 is the smallest of all the regions.

Blacksburg head and shoulders above the rest. Salem, Glass, GW, etc. probably more of an "any given Friday" situation, inconsistent and unpredictable.

Blacksburg head and shoulders above the rest. Salem, Glass, GW, etc. probably more of an "any given Friday" situation, inconsistent and unpredictable.

Well I know how that feels... In that case you just need to hope that "any given Friday" happens when you really need it to.

Curious why you say that? All of them have one loss with the exception of Salem. Was Blacksburg inconsistent and unpredictable when they lost to LB? Salem lost to state runner up Dinwiddie and and state champ Blacksburg. Glass lost to a good Brookville team that played a perfect game and GW lost a close game to possible district champ Amherst.

Well I know how that feels... In that case you just need to hope that "any given Friday" happens when you really need it to.

Eh, we'll see how it goes. Can't win 'em all.

Good win over LC, though. Should be an interesting East finals against Dinwiddie (I'll say it so you don't have to).

Curious why you say that? All of them have one loss with the exception of Salem. Was Blacksburg inconsistent and unpredictable when they lost to LB? Salem lost to state runner up Dinwiddie and and state champ Blacksburg. Glass lost to a good Brookville team that played a perfect game and GW lost a close game to possible district champ Amherst.

Lost in the rain. Think their speed, which is what they have in spades, got negated. LB plays power and rain games lean to that style of play. Think things would be different on a dry field. Blacksburg is very, very good this year and beyond having a good trio on O they are fast and disciplined on D which is the thing that will take them to the top of the West.

Their records don't do much to change my opinion if that helps. If they were all undefeated (imagining Salem and Bburg didn't play) I'd tell you Blacksburg was my clear #1 in the West.

e: just so it's clear, I'm not making an excuse for Blacksburg, you have to be able to play in any climate but I think a team used to grinding you into the ground 45 times a game may be more suited to play in certain conditions than a team who tries to spread you out with the pass and use their speed to beat you. LB won, nothing changes that, I'm just not particularly holding that one against Bburg and for what it's worth GW and Glass' losses aren't significant to me either, just think Blacksburg is the best and I think by more than a bit.

Lost in the rain. Think their speed, which is what they have in spades, got negated. LB plays power and rain games lean to that style of play. Think things would be different on a dry field. Blacksburg is very, very good this year and beyond having a good trio on O they are fast and disciplined on D which is the thing that will take them to the top of the West.

Their records don't do much to change my opinion if that helps. If they were all undefeated (imagining Salem and Bburg didn't play) I'd tell you Blacksburg was my clear #1 in the West.

e: just so it's clear, I'm not making an excuse for Blacksburg, you have to be able to play in any climate but I think a team used to grinding you into the ground 45 times a game may be more suited to play in certain conditions than a team who tries to spread you out with the pass and use their speed to beat you. LB won, nothing changes that, I'm just not particularly holding that one against Bburg and for what it's worth GW and Glass' losses aren't significant to me either, just think Blacksburg is the best and I think by more than a bit.

You are certainly open to your opinion, and I dont have one as not seeing any of them, and you would know more than me on the subject so could be right. One question though because I'm curious and maybe just how I read it. You said if they were all undefeated and Salem and Blacksburg didn't play. How much of your opinion is based on what you saw against Salem?

Eh, we'll see how it goes. Can't win 'em all.

Good win over LC, though. Should be an interesting East finals against Dinwiddie (I'll say it so you don't have to).

Thank you good sir.. Been a long time coming.

I don't know Louisa and EV are beating every team by 50. I know the sentiment has been the schedules are soft but they are both annihilating their foes which is all they can do. Week 2 in region B will likely be 4 undefeated teams squaring off. Going to be tough sledding!

You are certainly open to your opinion, and I dont have one as not seeing any of them, and you would know more than me on the subject so could be right. One question though because I'm curious and maybe just how I read it. You said if they were all undefeated and Salem and Blacksburg didn't play. How much of your opinion is based on what you saw against Salem?

It reinforced what I thought of them offensively and readjusted my thoughts of them defensively. They are WAY better than people think on D. Salem has very rarely not been able to get the edge on teams, especially in recent years, and they couldn't on Blacksburg. That's a key reason why the game didn't end up more like 49-28 or 49-35.

Their wins have all been similarly consistent. Nothing in question, they've crushed everyone and done it from start to finish. I've seen good state title playing/winning teams the last 3 years and that's exactly how they functioned as well. They're not winning shootouts each week, they're not squeaking by in 17-14 games because of great D, they're winning by 25-30+ ppg and playing well on both sides of the ball each week.

If I had not seen them play I might be more hesitant on what I say but I'd still tell you all things equally they are handling business more consistently than anyone else in the West. I'm not ready to say they'll be beating Dinwiddie or Monacan (ask me about any other East matchup though) but I do think they are tier 1 in the West and they're currently alone. I don't think they're unbeatable, far from it, but I do think they're the best in the West.

Reactions: mbonape1
LOL!!! We’d beat them by 2 TDs. All y’all had was Navy and Miller Trent and that Qb y’all had in 14 was good. Navy Jones wasn’t even better than our RB that year, CJ Graves ( Winston Sslem State right now) . JF definitely wouldn’t have beat us in 14. Y’alll were healthy when you played us this year.. We played without Wesley and Carl Poole and beat y’all with a 3rd string back.. You tried though LOL!

So you're saying this years GW team would beat JF '14 or '15 teams by 2TD's? A team that had trouble with 3 seminole district mediocre teams? Yea, that makes sense...

So you're saying this years GW team would beat JF '14 or '15 teams by 2TD's? A team that had trouble with 3 seminole district mediocre teams? Yea, that makes sense...
Nope. The 14 GW team would’ve beaten the 14 JF team and the 15 GW team would’ve beat the 15 JF team. We beat your team this year so why did you even come to the discussion lol.. Carry on.

Thanks for the clarification! Great post!

Reactions: Hero_of_AntiHeros

I guess we'll never know since GW got beat by Salem in '14 and John Champe in '15, never advancing far enough to play JF....

I guess we'll never know since GW got beat by Salem in '14 and John Champe in '15, never advancing far enough to play JF....
JF and GW lost in the same round in 2014.... I was at the Woodgrove/JF and Salem games in 15. GW would’ve ran y’all off the field. Yes Champe beat them but they would’ve beat y’all too. You didn’t have any corners to cover Donald Smith (Hampton) or Timmy Glass (NC State). Our d-line lead by Curtis Brooks (Cincinnati) and Maleak Henderson (NC Central/Virginia State) would’ve shut your one dimensional offense down. Enough of the talk lol.. I’ll see you next year. We scored 57 on you this year but we’ll put up 70 next year :eek:;)

JF and GW lost in the same round in 2014.... I was at the Woodgrove/JF and Salem games in 15. GW would’ve ran y’all off the field. Yes Champe beat them but they would’ve beat y’all too. That doesn’t matter either since Salem WALLOPED you o_O

And they WALLOPED you in "15....

We could go back and fourth all day but bottom line, GW had cupcake schedules in "14 and "15 and JF beat all the common opponents by a larger margin. GW barely got by Magna Vista in '15 and JF had them beat by the second quarter...

And they WALLOPED you in "15....

We could go back and fourth all day but bottom line, GW had cupcake schedules in "14 and "15 and JF beat all the common opponents by a larger margin. GW barely got by Magna Vista in '15 and JF had them beat by the second quarter...
*GW played Salem in 2014.. Didn’t get walloped..28-21 game in the 4th quarter. Alex Ramsey had the game of his life that day and Salem’s o-line was just too good. GW played undisciplined football and Salem beat us. Same with Champe in 15. Now what’s your excuse for not winning the big game? We’re judging teams off of point margins now LOL? That was the best team you saw until Salem and only good win you had that whole year. Woodgrove scored on you at will I can only imagine what a healthy MV and GW would’ve done to you.

I think it's safe to say EC Glass is a top dog. And Charlottesville is on the same level as them. They lost 21-20 in OT at City Stadium, when their second leading rusher didn't play in the first quarter, the offense struggled with injury and we had a 14-7 lead with only a few minutes left. Unfortunately, the odds were not in our favor and we fell short to the currently #1 team in the Region by 1 in OT on their home turf.

Heritage/Amherst will be a very interesting game. Both sidelines are loaded with talent. Heritage is very systematic in their approach and always plays solid defense. Amherst is very ......(can’t fill in the blank) with their approach on offense; yet always moves the ball downfield. This game will be a war up front. Both of these teams have seemed to be the strongest up front for the last few years, and this year is no different.

I am assuming Amherst is fighting for their playoff life?.. with emotional games against JF, and LCA back to back will Amherst have enough emotion left in them for a run at HHS?

Can’t wait to see this game

Last edited:
Heritage/Amherst will be a very interesting game. Both sidelines are loaded with talent. Heritage is very systematic in their approach and always plays solid defense. Amherst is very ......(can’t fill in the blank) with their approach on offense; yet always moves the ball downfield. This game will be a war up front. Both of these teams have seemed to be the strongest up front for the last few years, and this year is no different.

I am assuming Amherst is fighting for their playoff life?.. with emotional games against JF, and LCA back to back will Amherst have enough emotion left in them for a run at HHS?

Can’t wait to see this game
You are correct in saying that Amherst is "fighting for their playoff life." They will be on the outside looking in if they don't win at least one of their last two games. Especially if JF wins their last two and Pulaski wins one of their last two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT