ADVERTISEMENT

GW @ Dinwiddie

Missing trip down there due to Covid.
You may be missing the fellowship and atmosphere but, doesn't sound like you are missing much on the field, at least where GW is concerned. Good luck on your recovery from COVID.

GW is playing hard, but Dalton is too much. 9 carries for 179 yards rushing and 7 tds. 4-7 80 yards 1 TD passing. Jaden Glenn of GW has rushed for over 100 yards. Raining like the devil.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Dinwiddie fans will be modest but I think they took a very huge leap this summer. I’m not sure what Phoebus or Huguenot looks like, but I believe the East runs through Dinwiddie. They are legit. Lots of athletes off Boydton Plank Rd.

I’ve been very very critical on GW but they look better than they’ve looked in a long time. Definitely a lot of promise. I will get ambushed but QB play tonight was horrendous. Kid has to lock in being a 3 year starter, GW can make a lot of noise in Region D.

@cutnjump they really didn’t look bad at all.. I think it’s more so of Dinwiddie being that good.

Dinwiddie fans will be modest but I think they took a very huge leap this summer. I’m not sure what Phoebus or Huguenot looks like, but I believe the East runs through Dinwiddie. They are legit. Lots of athletes off Boydton Plank Rd.

I’ve been very very critical on GW but they look better than they’ve looked in a long time. Definitely a lot of promise. I will get ambushed but QB play tonight was horrendous. Kid has to lock in being a 3 year starter, GW can make a lot of noise in Region D.

@cutnjump they really didn’t look bad at all.. I think it’s more so of Dinwiddie being that good.
I am sure Dinwiddie had a lot to do with it. Was just joking a little with Tommy. I never make a judgement on one game, particularly an opening game. I have been critical before but, I don't believe I have been unfair and I will just watch for now.

I am sure Dinwiddie had a lot to do with it. Was just joking a little with Tommy. I never make a judgement on one game, particularly an opening game. I have been critical before but, I don't believe I have been unfair and I will just watch for now.
I think you’d be impressed with the size of the team, line play and I liked the playcalling tonight. Dinwiddie punched them in the mouth but GW battled back.. It was 27-14 at one point.. Gotta clean up the tackling and get in better shape. One week at a time, but I believe our Danville boys be very solid come October/November.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I think you’d be impressed with the size of the team, line play and I liked the playcalling tonight. Dinwiddie punched them in the mouth but GW battled back.. It was 27-14 at one point.. Gotta clean up the tackling and get in better shape. One week at a time, but I believe our Danville boys be very solid come October/November.
I am not going to down them. I will just watch for now.

55-21 final. Mud bath in the 2nd half. This GW team is better than we saw last year. I really liked how they kept grinding. Lots of talent. The passing game needs work and just as @BoKnowsSports said the QB play is not up to par to the rest of the offense. Dalton had a good game and rushed for 202 yards. Coach shut him down after the half. Dinwiddie had some very good moments, but need to fix a few things. Not a bad effort.

That 2022 team was unreal. What they lacked in size they made up for in intelligence and grit. They made very few mental mistakes. The only time they struggled was against those behemoths at King George. This team can be special but they have to get smarter they made 2 big mistakes in the 2nd quarter which turned into 14 points. They’ll get better though as long as they continue to communicate and see what they hit. On to North Stafford. Good Luck along the way GW. This General will be rooting for you!

Last edited:
Harry was very impressive tonight he was very hard for the Eagles to tackle he is the main stay of their offense but I thought the Eagles fought hard
The entire game and moved the ball very well at times I think both teams will have great seasons

I will say that Dalton is the best high school runner I have ever seen. And I've seen more than a few. He is special.

The Eagles played hard and had their moments. I feel about as good as you can about a 55-21 loss.

I'm not going to miss Dalton, but I *will* miss the hospitality we've had from the entire Dinwiddie staff! You guys are the best! Each trip there was a hoot!

Good luck guys!

I will say that Dalton is the best high school runner I have ever seen. And I've seen more than a few. He is special.

The Eagles played hard and had their moments. I feel about as good as you can about a 55-21 loss.

I'm not going to miss Dalton, but I *will* miss the hospitality we've had from the entire Dinwiddie staff! You guys are the best! Each trip there was a hoot!

Good luck guys!
Harry is definitely there but the city of Danville VA had a guy by the name of David Wilson who gets that title! Two different backs but both very much elite and great.

Reactions: BleedingNavy

Football in the east runs thru Phoebus....u ain't the. Man till u beat the man

Chuck, you and your crew are always fun to have visit us. Who knows, maybe our teams clash again down the road. The radio station guys were super nice guys too. We got off to a little of a rocky start with them, but it all worked out in the end. When you talk to them please be sure they know we enjoyed having them.

That is a darn good GW team. Tough as hell. And big. What are you feeding those boys down there.
I’m going to go on record and say that GW finishes the regular season 9-1. 8-2 at the worst.

Last edited:
Football in the east runs thru Phoebus....u ain't the. Man till u beat the man
Now @Touchdown-tony that is one of most prophetic statements I have read in sometime. We are less than 24 hours removed from a lukewarm win and there is not one Dinwiddie fan who is even remotely thinking about Phoebus. Attempting to go unbeaten in the Central District and getting out of Region B will be a monumental tasks. Maury, Hopewell, Thomas Dale, and Matoaca are tough opponents. Not going to be an easy regular season.

Now @Touchdown-tony that is one of most prophetic statements I have read in sometime. We are less than 24 hours removed from a lukewarm win and there is not one Dinwiddie fan who is even remotely thinking about Phoebus. Attempting to go unbeaten in the Central District and getting out of Region B will be a monumental tasks. Maury, Hopewell, Thomas Dale, and Matoaca are tough opponents. Not going to be an easy regular season.
And that’s even mentioning the gauntlet you have run if you make the 4B playoffs.

For what it’s worth, I was told that NFHS Network will be installing a replacement camera at Dinwiddie this coming week, thank God. If you tried to watch the game via the network you know why they are replacing the camera. It’s unwatchable.

Harry is definitely there but the city of Danville VA had a guy by the name of David Wilson who gets that title! Two different backs but both very much elite and great.
Obviously I'm partial to David as a shameless homer...just JEEZ, Dalton is good. He's also about thirty pounders heavier than David was in HS.

• Haha
Obviously I'm partial to David as a shameless homer...just JEEZ, Dalton is good. He's also about thirty pounders heavier than David was in HS.
Yes sir he is! Harry is definitely the best back I’ve seen since David graduated. Sadly enough, it’s been 16 years 🥹. D’lo Ramsey from Salem is definitely up there too but Harry is definitely in a class of his own!

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Yes sir he is! Harry is definitely the best back I’ve seen since David graduated. Sadly enough, it’s been 16 years 🥹. D’lo Ramsey from Salem is definitely up there too but Harry is definitely in a class of his own!
I’ll take Henderson over both of them!

On a sidenote, I saw that the five star running back from Louisa has returned to Louisa.

I’ve said before that I think Henderson was the best HS running back that I personally have seen with my own eyes live. I’ll wait to season’s end to say that I think Harry is better. I know the potential is there. And Harry is a little different type back. Henderson is elusive as hell, Harry will just run over you. Both of them have that wonderful trait of not going down on first or even second contact, and it takes a darn good player to bring them down one on one.

I don’t know about that one I love Harry like a brother, he knows that, but TreVeyon Henderson is the best HS Running Back I’ve ever seen! A complete STUD. He is the only running back that I would put above Harry.

I’ll take Henderson over both of them!

On a sidenote, I saw that the five star running back from Louisa has returned to Louisa.
Doubt you’ve ever seen David Wilson. He was one of the best players to ever come out of the state of Virginia. VA Gatorade Player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year, first round NFL draft pick, was a Second Team All Pro his rookie season. He rushed for (what @Chuck Vipperman (GW)) four 300+ yard games his senior year against Triple A competition. Set a world record for long jump at the time while still a high school student in Danville. Virginia Tech Hall of Famer. Look him up. DANVILLE, VA BABY!

Remember, my self imposed criteria was “ seen live with my own eyes.”
I’ll have to add one that was right there at my top, but a totally different era. Ronnie Erb from Petersburg.

Oh, and Barty Smith from Douglas Freeman. I only saw him in one game, but he left an impact. If ever there was a bulldozer that carried a football, it was Barty Smith.

All are great backs, but Henderson is a dual threat great receiver and Runner I think that's what's going to make him really great in the NFL. Would've loved to seen him play his senior year at hopewell but cov19 stop that. I think he would've won back to back state championship .

We met a gentleman that covers some HS & College sports in VA this weekend. http://www.em-sports.org/
We were talking before the game and he mentioned Danny Davis as being the best HS RB in VA he'd ever seen. Well of course I perked up because that's what I've always said too. The 1st game I ever saw was the 87 championship game between Rustburg and James Monroe. That's when I fell in love with HS football. It's been my obsession ever since.

I never got to see Allen Iverson, Ronald Curry, Percy Harvin, Trevyion Henderson, etc... I just have to pick from who I've seen. There's been others that have certainly caught my eye over the yrs- D'Angelo Ramsey was a phenomenal player on a phenomenal team. I think he would have been the best IF he would have played the full 3 years on both sides of the ball. In '15 he only played Defense and he was exciting to watch. In '16 he was on offense only and he didn't play the full year. In '17 he really showed his full potential on offense after missing the first game. He played on such a great team that he wasn't relied on to do it all on both sides of the ball like would have been necessary at a smaller school. His off the field troubles severely limited him fulfilling his potential as well.

I can only imagine him getting 3 full years on both sides of the ball. I think he would have overtaken Danny Davis as the best in my eyes, but alas it wasn't meant to be. DD played at RB and LB and he would truck stick you from either side. He was full speed, relentless, and fearless. There's no one that instilled more fear to opponents than him on either side of the ball.

I'm sure my judgment is slightly clouded by the fact that he was the first exceptional player I've seen in person. But to my 13 year old eyes that was Superman masquerading as a football player.

Just as an aside, I was extremely impressed with seeing Gideon Davidson the last 2 years. I don't think I've seen anyone play with more motor than him. His endurance is second to none. He doesn't step off the field.

Peyton Lewis was certainly a joy to watch. I wish we could have seen a full 4 years of him. He was injured early in both his Fresh and Soph years.

There's been many a great athlete I've seen over the years, and many more I wish I could have seen.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Comparing Henderson to Dalton is impossible. Harry only played RB for six games as a 14 year old freshman. He ran for over 600 yards and nine tds. To be honest he proved he could run and catch. As a 15 year old Dalton ran and passed for 4,000 yards with 60 total TDs. Henderson was a beast and I remember him reversing field in 2018 and score the only td in the game from 80 yards. Same thing in his jr. year. Simply won the game with crazy runs and catches. I have seen a bunch of great running backs in my 59 years and the ones that standout to me are David Wilson, Terry Kirby, Kevin Jones, Tim Dudley (PH Roanoke), Andre Kendrick (Glass) and my all time favorite Ric Volley (EC glass and Ohio St.). Saw him score four yds on four touches against Jefferson Sr.

This is one of those topics that could go on endlessly and depending upon the criteria chosen(game or games you saw, single game, single season, career, high school, college and/or pro careers) Virginia produced lots of names and in the over 60 years that I have been blessed to watch high school football in Virginia. There are too many to mention them all.

Harry Dalton is in that discussion as are Henderson, Wilson, Davis and the others mentioned in this thread. Having mentioned those the names not mentioned, to name just a few, include Terry Kirby, Thomas Jones, Cyrus Lawrence, Dennis Mahan and on and on. There are also guys not mentioned that play in programs where even if you are a star the upper class guy was just as good and you wait your turn or playing in a smaller classification causes people to question the talent. Then there is the cruelest fate of all, a career derailed by injury, such as former Salem/VT back Marcus Parker. He still had a great career but, the what might have been is still there. Finally, for the really old timers still here and reading a shout out to the likes of Ed Clark and Famous Amos Lawrence and apologies to the many more omitted just due to lack of space.

Doubt you’ve ever seen David Wilson. He was one of the best players to ever come out of the state of Virginia. VA Gatorade Player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year, first round NFL draft pick, was a Second Team All Pro his rookie season. He rushed for (what @Chuck Vipperman (GW)) four 300+ yard games his senior year against Triple A competition. Set a world record for long jump at the time while still a high school student in Danville. Virginia Tech Hall of Famer. Look him up. DANVILLE, VA BABY!
I saw David play multiple times. I’d take the dual threat Henderson. I saw Kirby. I saw Harvin,Curry,and Iverson. I watched Macho Harris for 3 years. I watched Avi Hopkins and Adam Burke. I watched Derricot(great running QB). I’ve been around for 40yrs and Henderson is the best runner with the ball I’ve ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT