ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Charlottesville Thursday!!

It should be interesting to see this matchup. I'm not sure who's the quicker team, but I imagine it's close and these are both some of the fastest in VA. Cville doesn't have tons of height but they've been stroking it recently, Jaylen Hudson has scored 68 in the last three games. If we can continue to put the ball in the basket like we have been, I think we stand a chance.

It should be interesting to see this matchup. I'm not sure who's the quicker team, but I imagine it's close and these are both some of the fastest in VA. Cville doesn't have tons of height but they've been stroking it recently, Jaylen Hudson has scored 68 in the last three games. If we can continue to put the ball in the basket like we have been, I think we stand a chance.
If they can withstand the crowd noise and play their game it's going to be exciting!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
What did you think was the difference tonight with LCA?
1. GW buckled down and played the way they played against Martinsville a couple of weeks ago in Danville. 2. GW got Cuffee into foul trouble. 3. It's hard to beat GW two times, especially with the games in Danville. The atmosphere is too much.

Danville will in deed be a tough environment. The only teams I've ever seen come to Danville in front of a sell out crowd and win was the 2013 Battlefield team, 2006 Booker T Washington team and the 2008 Petersburg Crimson Wave team. It's not impossible but it's tough. I think it's intimidating when the teams get off the bus and they see 100+ people standing in line to get in the game. The GW kids are really tough. They're not cocky or arrogant but they want to win so bad. They'll come out dunking and the football players and cheerleaders will talk a lot of smack to the opposing teams. Concession stand is very good. The homemade cookies are the BEST and the booster club members are some of the nicest people you'll meet. A lot of southern hospitality. The gym has an old school feel to it. It'll be loud.

Danville will in deed be a tough environment. The only teams I've ever seen come to Danville in front of a sell out crowd and win was the 2013 Battlefield team, 2006 Booker T Washington team and the 2008 Petersburg Crimson Wave team. It's not impossible but it's tough. I think it's intimidating when the teams get off the bus and they see 100+ people standing in line to get in the game. The GW kids are really tough. They're not cocky or arrogant but they want to win so bad. They'll come out dunking and the football players and cheerleaders will talk a lot of smack to the opposing teams. Concession stand is very good. The homemade cookies are the BEST and the booster club members are some of the nicest people you'll meet. A lot of southern hospitality. The gym has an old school feel to it. It'll be loud.
That's what I like about this GW team no one is too cocky. It will be a tough place to win!!

DSH, Martinsville beat GW in GW, in front of a sold out house, 2 years ago. It was Thug's senior year. It was the same year that they had that fight in the Dawghouse. If I remember correctly, Martinsville beat GW pretty bad that nite.

DSH, Martinsville beat GW in GW, in front of a sold out house, 2 years ago. It was Thug's senior year. It was the same year that they had that fight in the Dawghouse. If I remember correctly, Martinsville beat GW pretty bad that nite.
Yes in deed they did! They beat GW by 30 I believe. Beat down!! Not to discredit the Dawgs' beatdown but I was referring to playoff time in my post. GW took many beat downs at home, regular season, from 2010 until that 2013 year. The fan support picked up again after that 2013 team who had 4 D1 players on it. Did you happen to catch any GW games from 05-09 in Danville? Losses at home rarely happened. I forgot to mention that 2009 William Fleming team led by Troy Daniels (VCU great and current Memphis Grizzles 6th man). They came and gave GW a rare lost in the old Western Valley District championship game and Regional Final.

05-09, I'm afraid not brotha. I was out serving my country. I did two deployments during that time. My fault on the post, I went and read it over, I see now it was about the playoffs.

05-09, I'm afraid not brotha. I was out serving my country. I did two deployments during that time. My fault on the post, I went and read it over, I see now it was about the playoffs.
Thank you for your service brother! The Dawgs in deed bring it when they come to Danville and vice versa. I think that GW and Martinsville has become one of the state's best rivalries.

Cville final stats against Amherst:
Jaylen Hudson 19 points, 8 assists
Khalil Vest 18 points
Sam Neale 16 points, three 3 pointers
Patrick Ronayne 14 points, four 3 pointers
Immanuel Wells 12 points

Bench: 12 points

If we can distribute the ball this well Thursday, it should be a good game indeed!

I saw GW beat mville at GW in 69 when the gym held more was packed to the gills
Lots of great games in multiple sports back in those days between GW and Martinsville. Names like Cartwright, Smoral, Price, Mahan, etc., etc., and big name coaches as well could be found on both sides of the field and benches. In those days the tilt to Tidewater/Richmond/NOVA in the highest classifications was not nearly as exaggerated as these days. Lynchburg/Roanoke/Martinsville/Danville was very competitive statewide at the highest level, something that hasn't happened in a number of years now.

The days of the old rivalry like G.W and Glass are gone. Glass is now playing in Seminole. A few years ago the Glass J/V football team played the Rustburg Varsity and beat them. The Lynchburg City sports teams are a shadow of the past. Times change and it has not been kind to Lynchburg City sports.

In 2014, George Washington ended Charlottesville's season in the first round of regionals (back when GW was Conference 24). Last year, GW ended Cville's season again, this time in the Conference 23 semis. Maybe luck will change this year. It's not going to be fun for us, a two hour bus ride down south to a packed, rowdy gym, but I think it's going to turn out to be a hell of a game.

Thank u as well Tommy. I show gratitude to those whom served as well.

The days of the old rivalry like G.W and Glass are gone. Glass is now playing in Seminole. A few years ago the Glass J/V football team played the Rustburg Varsity and beat them. The Lynchburg City sports teams are a shadow of the past. Times change and it has not been kind to Lynchburg City sports.
Change is inevitable and people have to adapt. The harder part to accept is when decline is more attributable to administration screw ups and lack of commitment rather than demographics. In the case of both GW and Glass changes were inevitable due to economics and demographics, however, a reasonable argument can be made that mismanagement and lack of commitment at various administrative levels made the situations far worse.

on the VHSL it has 4 teams advancing in conference 23 in 4A is this true or a misprint?

Last edited:
Will any of you be attending this game? @blackknight_pride @DanvilleSportsHead
Yes I will be there

I'll be making the trip. Haven't been to GW in over 10 years. Looking forward to a rowdy crowd and hoping the Black Knights can keep the momentum going from their past two victories. Hoping for a good, clean, entertaining basketball game.

I'll be making the trip. Haven't been to GW in over 10 years. Looking forward to a rowdy crowd and hoping the Black Knights can keep the momentum going from their past two victories. Hoping for a good, clean, entertaining basketball game.
Safe travels to you and @blackknight_pride. It will definitely be entertaining and loud. I would expect a shootout as both teams can light up the score board. I think whoever wins the rebounding battle will have the best chance of winning. Can't give GW ANY second chances at home. As Black Knights said, the post battle will be a focal point. Amardius is probably one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in all of 4a but don't expect him to beat you in the paint. He's a walking garbage basket bucket. No plays will be run for him, Devante Grasty or Canei Marshall but you have to box them out or they will eat you up. Both teams are undersized which I love to watch and it will be SPEED vs. SPEED. Good luck to both teams.

Reactions: AntGZee
Keep us updated on the score. Thanks

Safe travels to you and @blackknight_pride. It will definitely be entertaining and loud. I would expect a shootout as both teams can light up the score board. I think whoever wins the rebounding battle will have the best chance of winning. Can't give GW ANY second chances at home. As Black Knights said, the post battle will be a focal point. Amardius is probably one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in all of 4a but don't expect him to beat you in the paint. He's a walking garbage basket bucket. No plays will be run for him, Devante Grasty or Canei Marshall but you have to box them out or they will eat you up. Both teams are undersized which I love to watch and it will be SPEED vs. SPEED. Good luck to both teams.
The speed is what hurt Amherst, we have really good scorers but couldn't handle the speed. Like I said Amherst beat LCA twice that is a big accomplishment. May the best team win

GAMEDAY!!! It'll be a sight to see Cayman Wilson vs Jaylen Hudson and Amardius Jones battle it out down low with Khalil Vest. Good luck to both teams!
Cayman Wilson is good but the match-up to see is #12 Camryn Lewis and Jaylen Hudson. Cam is GW's best guard IMO, definitely D1. Smooth game and can score from anywhere. He's not flashy but he'll rise and dunk on you and can get buckets. I'm expecting Hudson to go off for 30+ tonight. Cayman is GW's hottest shooter. He makes Russell Westbrook type plays, he's aggressive, can jump out of the gym, and will get buckets, but he's a little out of control at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT