ADVERTISEMENT

GW Wins Averett 7 on 7

For gw. I heard someone was leaving.
2022 WR Shyheim Watlington transferred to Reidsville. Had 4 rec for 104 yards in the State Semi vs Salem. 9 rec for 151 yards total for the regular season and post season.
Is GW playing a non district game down in South Carolina against Nation Ford?
Yes @ Nation Ford in SC

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Oh yea Shy left he only played half the season
Last year and yes GW will play In Fort Mill SC
This year at Nation Ford

Good move by Watlington. GW will miss him a lot this year. No reason he and Poole aren’t more highly recruited than they are.

We will see at the Conclusion of the year Worm has already been offered by Liberty and NC A&T actually if you look at the last 5 years GW has had way more kids sign than Reidsville
But you research it yourself now Reidsville has won several State Championships in 2a in a System that has 8 State championships a big and small classification in each 1a 2a 3a and 4a
This year NC goes back to only 4 classifications
Will be a harder path the next 4 years

Where has Donavan Howard been offered? Imo he is one of the best returning skill guys in Class 4. Shy will get more exposure at Reidsville. They are playing their toughest schedule in years this year. I could see Reidsville and Salisbury meeting for 2A NC.

We will see at the Conclusion of the year Worm has already been offered by Liberty and NC A&T actually if you look at the last 5 years GW has had way more kids sign than Reidsville
But you research it yourself now Reidsville has won several State Championships in 2a in a System that has 8 State championships a big and small classification in each 1a 2a 3a and 4a
This year NC goes back to only 4 classifications
Will be a harder path the next 4 years

I wish we could meet up again. Reidsville probably had more or just as many sign this past season. Some years Reidsville didn't have a big senior class, like 2018 for example. It will be harder, but it is very doable as well. Reidsville is starting to get more exposure, winning 3 titles in a row. Then having guys like Breon pass helps pave the way for younger guys. Not saying it is more exposure than at gw danville.

Fun fact, we were supposed to play lord bortort this season

Last edited:
Reactions: Realtalk78
Where has Donavan Howard been offered? Imo he is one of the best returning skill guys in Class 4. Shy will get more exposure at Reidsville. They are playing their toughest schedule in years this year. I could see Reidsville and Salisbury meeting for 2A NC.
The only player on GW with a publicly announced offer is Worm with a PWO to Liberty.

The Watlington’s are from Reidsville. Shawn, Shy and Edmunds were all headed there a few years ago but thankfully they came back.

I wish we could meet up again. Reidsville probably had more or just as many sign this past season. Some years Reidsville didn't have a big senior class, like 2018 for example. It will be harder, but it is very doable as well. Reidsville is starting to get more exposure, winning 3 titles in a row. Then having guys like Breon pass helps pave the way for younger guys. Not saying it is more exposure than at gw danville.

Fun fact, we were supposed to play lord bortort this season
Shy will take Pass’s place on the outside at WR. He’s 6’2 maybe 200 lbs with great speed. He’ll be more of a Auldon Edwards than Pass.

Shy will take Pass’s place on the outside at WR. He’s 6’2 maybe 200 lbs with great speed. He’ll be more of a Auldon Edwards than Pass.
Someone said he’s playing running back? I’m guessing that’s not true. Reidsville will be loaded at wr with him, peoples and flippin among others.

Someone said he’s playing running back? I’m guessing that’s not true. Reidsville will be loaded at wr with him, peoples and flippin among others.
Unless it’s something us Danville people don’t know, he’s never played RB. He’s a WR/OLB.

Probably just miscommunication. I seen some highlights and seen he played wr. Just didn’t know if he changed positions
Y’all will be very happy with Shy at Reidsville. He’s a big time player. The two plays he made at Salem this year showed just how special he can be on offense. I won’t be surprised to see the Rams win it all again this year. Skill positions are loaded.

Y’all will be very happy with Shy at Reidsville. He’s a big time player. The two plays he made at Salem this year showed just how special he can be on offense. I won’t be surprised to see the Rams win it all again this year. Skill positions are loaded.
Yes, we just aren’t loaded on the line or at running back. But no one was even close to us in 2a last season. I know the gap has likely closed on that. As I stated earlier we need to pick up the series again, would be a fun rivalry. I know it’s tough for you guys playoffs seeding if you lose.

Yes, we just aren’t loaded on the line or at running back. But no one was even close to us in 2a last season. I know the gap has likely closed on that. As I stated earlier we need to pick up the series again, would be a fun rivalry. I know it’s tough for you guys playoffs seeding if you lose.
Not really bad on the points. 2A in Carolina is 3A in Virginia. Reidsville and maybe Dudley or Grimsley or Western Alamance would be nice pickups by Danville and only a 40 minute drive at most. GW has done wonders with their scheduling picking up Dinwiddie and Nation Ford but I’d like to see Martinsville and Patrick off ASAP. Nothing to gain by playing those two.

Don’t y’all have that rising sophomore at RB? Kid was a monster for RMS. I know y’all have at least 4 sophomores who will likely be recruited by the UNCCs and App States. Heard y’all have a 6’5 rising freshman on the OL who will be a power 5 kid. That 2024 class is a special class at Reidsville. Hopefully GW will see them in the next scheduling cycle.

Don’t y’all have that rising sophomore at RB? Kid was a monster for RMS. I know y’all have at least 4 sophomores who will likely be recruited by the UNCCs and App States. Heard y’all have a 6’5 rising freshman on the OL who will be a power 5 kid. That 2024 class is a special class at Reidsville. Hopefully GW will see them in the next scheduling cycle

Yeah we do. Just wasn’t sure if he’s ready to be the full time bac as a sophomore. He had a very solid year at olb last season though. Yeah, I think that freshman will start somewhere. Yeah all those would be good competition for gw. Yeah martinsville should be playing the likes of mcmichael, and more head.

GW tried to schedule Reidsville but they decided to play Eastern Alamance they tried to schedule Page they worked on that game for
6 months and Page decided to play Reidsville
They tried to get Western Alamance and they said no tried to get East Forsyth couldn’t work any of those out Shy is 5”10 190 runs about 4.8
40 he played slot and OLB for GW he is playing
RB and MLB at Reidsville GW had 4 players sign
Last year how many did Reidsville have sign other than Pass but pass signed in Basketball correct

GW tried to schedule Reidsville but they decided to play Eastern Alamance they tried to schedule Page they worked on that game for
6 months and Page decided to play Reidsville
They tried to get Western Alamance and they said no tried to get East Forsyth couldn’t work any of those out Shy is 5”10 190 runs about 4.8
40 he played slot and OLB for GW he is playing
RB and MLB at Reidsville GW had 4 players sign
Last year how many did Reidsville have sign other than Pass but pass signed in Basketball correct

I thought I heard he was playing running back. He will still be used as a receiver I'm sure some. Reidsville had, defensive line sign to wssu, a corner sign to fayetville state, running back sign to st augistine, Qb to wofford. You could count Pass as well, as he could have went to just about any football school he wanted, just opted for basketball.
This season we may only have like 2, we have a small senior class. We have a wr that has an offer already and shy will likely get some kind of offer as well.

Dang hate we couldn't get the gw game together, but playing eastern alamance isn't bad.

Bottom line if you can play they will find you
Everyone has Hudl now everyone goes to Camps How many games did Coach Teague
Win at GW ?

Win at GW ?
Teague was GW s coach the when I was in high school. GW was coming out of the David Wilson days and they were bad. Mags from Salem wouldn’t have done much better. No QB, small O and D lines, skimpy skill guys. Definitely some of GW’s worst days. Bobby Martin did less with more that one year he was with GW.

Win at GW ?

I know when coach teague inherited Reidsville was starting to go down hill, the 2nd time around. (Still solid teams) Now he has us back rolling. We've gotten some really good transfers over the last 7-8 years. Khalil Hairston from gw came over, he was a heck of an athlete, but probably more of a athlete than a Qb. I think he would have had Gw program rolling eventually.

I know when coach teague inherited Reidsville was starting to go down hill, the 2nd time around. (Still solid teams) Now he has us back rolling. We've gotten some really good transfers over the last 7-8 years. Khalil Hairston from gw came over, he was a heck of an athlete, but probably more of a athlete than a Qb. I think he would have had Gw program rolling eventually.
Khalil was a prodigy in the 9th grade for GW. His 10th grade year he didn’t take that next step and split time with a less talented QB because he was a senior. When GW moved down to 4A in 2013, Khalil was destined to be an all state caliber player. Hunter Byrnes (who was supposed to ride the pine) ended up taking his spot after Khalil was ruled ineligible. The rest is history. Byrnes ended up being one of the best QBs in GW’s history and was 4A West State Player of the Year his senior year. Khalil would’ve played WR had he stayed at GW and would’ve been a D1 WR had his grades been right.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
GW beat Massaponax up there in the playoffs under Teague.
I was surprised. Those were pre Malik Clements and Tim Glass days. Ahmad Thomas, who was a star player at UNC Asheville and was a 2x Big South Defensive Player of the Year on the basketball court, and Keshawn Jones was fun to watch at WR. Khalil Hairston would just lob it up to both and they’d come down with it. Had Jarod Williams (transferred to play at Blue Ridge School that year) been playing, GW would’ve had the best WRs in the state and it wouldn’t have been close. All of those guys played D1 basketball (Jones played st one of the best JUCOs in America). The rest of the team left a lot to be desired.

Khalil was a prodigy in the 9th grade for GW. His 10th grade year he didn’t take that next step and split time with a less talented QB because he was a senior. When GW moved down to 4A in 2013, Khalil was destined to be an all state caliber player. Hunter Byrnes (who was supposed to ride the pine) ended up taking his spot after Khalil was ruled ineligible. The rest is history. Byrnes ended up being one of the best QBs in GW’s history and was 4A West State Player of the Year his senior year. Khalil would’ve played WR had he stayed at GW and would’ve been a D1 WR had his grades been right.

At Reidsville, he was the starter. The guy that was supposed to be the starter never came to practice and had a bad attitude, so he wasn't allowed to play. But like you said if Khalil was able to play wr or db, he would have been fantastic in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT