ADVERTISEMENT

Halifax Co preview

This Halifax team could be very dangerous to GW or MV as far as an upset is concerned. Halifax, athletically, is neck and neck with GW, Heritage, Appo, etc, but they have trouble getting everyone out as some kids live 30-50 minutes away. I hope this is a good year for Halifax. I see a 6-4 to 7-3 season. Right now I'd put GW and MV as the top 2 teams in the Piedmont (no order) but Halifax is not far behind. Beat a good Buckingham team the other night in the benefit game and I'm hearing they had a very strong summer. No James Smith this year, but the boys from SoBo should be solid.

Reactions: mike salem
I don't know Shades, have you ever seen the pitiful bleachers at Maury Stadium that James Monroe uses? Probably just slightly more than 1/2 of what Halifax has.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I don't know Shades, have you ever seen the pitiful bleachers at Maury Stadium that James Monroe uses? Probably just slightly more than 1/2 of what Halifax has.
Halifax had a renovation plan that would have made the home side the visitor side but it was put aside after the big 2008 downturn. They did not build a new stadium when they opened the new HS in 79. Everything is the same since I was a GW JV in 1973. In addition to small seating, it sits real low behind an asphalt track. The visitor sidelines are very narrow too. They did not manage to have big games there in 91 as well as the state championship.

As a Halifax alum.. I am still puzzled how you can have kids coming from as far as 30 miles in each direction and you not be able to put at least 40 players on a field to compete year in and year out. If they can ever get it together, the town would support that team like the old wrecking crew days! We did hold the state championship game at Tuck Dillard Memorial stadium ( Halifax stadium) they brought in enough seating on the visitor's side to hold close to 1,000 people. Lol.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT