ADVERTISEMENT

Handley's Kevin Curry Commits to JMU

First, this kid is a great player. He was a difference maker, and he was a legitimate threat. What I also find interesting was how the article was mentioning how great athletes can fall through the cracks for multiple reasons. I think Curry fits that category mainly due to coaching. Their defense was very solid, but the offense was a mess. There wasn't much of a legitimate scheme, and it seemed like the entire playbook was hand it off to Imoh (who is also very impressive) or just throw it up to Curry and hope he comes down with it. I wonder what Curry would have done with better offensive scheming. Either way, congratulations to him- he's a great player. Legitimate D1.

That’s a very good point. I think you see it a lot with some of the big time D2 and some D3 players. Either playing on bad teams or not the right system allows them to skip through the cracks. I am glad Kevin was able to get recognized by Madison. That is a great opportunity for him.

60 passes for 1,031 yards and 13 touchdowns...that's a lot of bad coaching?

60 passes for 1,031 yards and 13 touchdowns...that's a lot of bad coaching?
I mean, with talent like Imoh, Curry, and that freshman TE (and really, the QB was pretty good, too), it's really not great. I'm not sure if those stats were their passing yards as a whole or just Curry's, but it didn't seem like Curry was often put in a position to succeed. Granted I didn't see anywhere close to their whole season, but it seemed like the majority of how they targeted Curry was just chucking it up to him and hoping he came down with it- that or the tunnel screen. I'm not criticizing any of the kids, don't get me wrong- I think Handley was really dang talented. I just don't think their kids were put in positions to maximize their potential. Of course, that is based off of only two games they played against KR (2017 & 2018) when their now HC was the OC previously.

I am not knowledgeable enough to judge coaching schemes. But I will say this. Every game I went to, it was obvious that Curry was the best player on offense, and the best player on defense. If I can figure that stuff out, college scouts should be able to as well.

Reactions: GoKRCougs
I am not knowledgeable enough to judge coaching schemes. But I will say this. Every game I went to, it was obvious that Curry was the best player on offense, and the best player on defense. If I can figure that stuff out, college scouts should be able to as well.
I agree. Curry is a legitimate D1 athlete. He's explosive, smooth, fast, and strong. I think he will end up getting a full scholarship before too long.

I mean, with talent like Imoh, Curry, and that freshman TE (and really, the QB was pretty good, too), it's really not great. I'm not sure if those stats were their passing yards as a whole or just Curry's, but it didn't seem like Curry was often put in a position to succeed. Granted I didn't see anywhere close to their whole season, but it seemed like the majority of how they targeted Curry was just chucking it up to him and hoping he came down with it- that or the tunnel screen. I'm not criticizing any of the kids, don't get me wrong- I think Handley was really dang talented. I just don't think their kids were put in positions to maximize their potential. Of course, that is based off of only two games they played against KR (2017 & 2018) when their now HC was the OC previously.
Based on his signing article those were his numbers alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT