ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone seen both Millbrook and Salem?

I think Salem's defense did a pretty good job of preparing for it last year. We'll have to see if this year's defense does the same.
They did do a good job last year, but again they had the film from the year before to look over and make adjustments from. I think our defense has been the only defense to slow Salem the last two years correct? Two years ago our offense got it done and last year it didn't. Credit to Salem defense for stepping up and making plays they didn't make the year before. So IF a 3rd game is to happen both teams would have 2 years worth of film, mistakes, and positives to look at.

I'm saying I agree with what happened in practice. I would have done the same thing. I also said I wasn't making an assumption. I guess I should have said I was stating a fact. End of debate. It just irritated me you were so quick to correct 3putt when you didn't have first hand knowledge, just past experience. I'm done talking about this. On to talking about the game ahead with Milbrook.
Are you actually trolling me right now? How is what you were stating even close to a fact? It is literally an unproven opinion, as is mine. The difference is that mine is actually based off something, one of them playing for that exact coaching staff and another one playing college football and it being done the same way. Then a coach comes in and says the same thing. Your opinion is based off of what you, not a coach or former player, would have done in the situation. Anyone that can read can see the differences between the two... both are opinions of what we think happened last week but one is based off of nothing relevant.

They did do a good job last year, but again they had the film from the year before to look over and make adjustments from. I think our defense has been the only defense to slow Salem the last two years correct? Two years ago our offense got it done and last year it didn't. Credit to Salem defense for stepping up and making plays they didn't make the year before. So IF a 3rd game is to happen both teams would have 2 years worth of film, mistakes, and positives to look at.
Yes, you're defense did a good job. You had a good plan to stop the run. Last year I think our linebackers were prepared. Ponton did a great job at corner as well as the entire defense. I think it is very important for linebackers, corners, and the safeties to study film. I'm talking hours of film watching. I'm big on defense. I love trying to predict the other team's moves. It's like a chess game. Salem's defensive play will be key to the victory (as it is in all playoff games.) The offense will do its job. I really like the look of the offense right now.

Last edited:
Are you actually trolling me right now? How is what you were stating even close to a fact? It is literally an unproven opinion, as is mine. The difference is that mine is actually based off something, one of them playing for that exact coaching staff and another one playing college football and it being done the same way. Then a coach comes in and says the same thing. Your opinion is based off of what you, not a coach or former player, would have done in the situation. Anyone that can read can see the differences between the two... both are opinions of what we think happened last week but one is based off of nothing relevant.
My statement is based off of what actually happened. No trolling or whatever that means.
Ughhh, what part of first hand knowledge do you not understand? Salem practiced against Millbrook's defense. I can tell you the names of the players who played the positions on the scout team (I won't) This has become a silly debate. Let's change the topic. So, how do you think Salem will do against Millbrook? I haven't seen Millbrook in person, but I've watched film. I've seen every Salem game in person and their defense gets better with every game.

Last edited:
My statement is based off of what actually happened. No trolling or whatever that means. I just don't

Ughhh, what part of first hand knowledge do you not understand? Salem practiced against Millbrook's defense. I can tell you the names of the players who played the positions on the scout team (I won't) This has become a silly debate. Let's change the topic. So, how do you think Salem will do against Millbrook? I haven't seen Millbrook in person, but I've watched film. I've seen every Salem game in person and their defense gets better with every game.
That is very hard to believe. If you knew this to be true you would have given the reason why you knew it... i.e. heard it from a player, heard it from a coach, etc.

"What part of first hand knowledge do you not understand?" Uh, this is literally the first post where you have even said or implied having first hand knowledge... surely you can't expect me to understand something that you are going to type in the future. Actually, I don't know, apparently the Salem coaching staff apparently now has the ability to know the future... maybe I can learn that as well?

I think that if Salem plays well on both sides of the ball they will win the game. Smith is dangerous in the open field and Kier is a very good player in his own right. Millbrook lining up Smith in the slot is a pretty big concern for me.

Last edited:
I keep things private on this board for a reason. I don't like to reveal a lot of the first hand knowledge I do have...I speak in vague generalizations because I don't like to disclose certain information to others.

I keep things private on this board for a reason. I don't like to reveal a lot of the first hand knowledge I do have...I speak in vague generalizations because I don't like to disclose certain information to others.
So if I go ask coach Mag tomorrow (Which I can do... in fact I was thinking about stopping in and talking anyway) he will confirm this?

Hey guys - I'm not trying to get involved in this argument - but both Millbrook and Loudoun Valley run an Odd Stack defense. So I would assume Salem did practice against an Odd Stack last week in practice - because regardless of the outcome they were going to see that defense this week. Doesn't mean they were preparing for one team over the other.

Last edited:
Hey guys - I'm not trying to get involved in this argument - but both Millbrook and Loudoun Valley run an Odd Stack defense. So I would assume Salem did practice against an Odd Stack last week in practice - because regardless of the outcome they were going to see that defense this week. Doesn't mean they were preparing for one team over the other.
In that case it is very likely they spent some time against that front.

LT was by far the best team defensively the last two years against Salem. This year, Salem struggled to score against William Byrd but it was a little bit different. Byrd did completely shut down the running game but Salem dropped two long passes that were sure touchdowns and left quite a few yards and points on the board throughout the game. Can't really think of many of those plays in the two LT games, if any at all.

One last thing here while were talking about defense - Millbrook likes to slant, stunt, and blitz a lot on defense. I bring this up because the teams that gave Millbrook problems ran no huddle - Woodgrove is all no huddle and Sherando is about 50/50 huddle to no huddle. I wasn't at the Sherando-Millbrook game so I don't how much Sherando used no huddle. I bring this up because running no huddle makes itdifficult for teams like Millbrook who slant, stunt, blitz every play to get their defense sent in and requires them to play out of a base front which they are uncomfortable in. I know in the past Salem has been very traditional offensively - are they running any up tempo/no huddle offensively?

One last thing here while were talking about defense - Millbrook likes to slant, stunt, and blitz a lot on defense. I bring this up because the teams that gave Millbrook problems ran no huddle - Woodgrove is all no huddle and Sherando is about 50/50 huddle to no huddle. I wasn't at the Sherando-Millbrook game so I don't how much Sherando used no huddle. I bring this up because running no huddle makes itdifficult for teams like Millbrook who slant, stunt, blitz every play to get their defense sent in and requires them to play out of a base front which they are uncomfortable in. I know in the past Salem has been very traditional offensively - are they running any up tempo/no huddle offensively?
I haven't seen them go no huddle this year with the exception of two-minute offense. Traditionally that style of defense is something that Salem doesn't mind playing against because of what they do up front offensively.

I haven't seen them go no huddle this year with the exception of two-minute offense. Traditionally that style of defense is something that Salem doesn't mind playing against because of what they do up front offensively.

Absolutely - I don't think Salem will have any problems up front. Salem runs a gap scheme if I'm not mistaken and if Millbrook does all of that slanting and blitzing the Salem lineman are going to get some great angles on their blocks and those downhill backs are going to get some nice creases and be on to level 3 in a hurry.

In my experience, staffs generally use the bye week(unknown opponent) to rest, get healthy, self scout and focus internally on working out any kinks and doing what they do better. To the extent potential opponents run similar offensive and/or defensive schemes they might get a head start by practicing against the base and/or some film study of base alignments but, as far as real game planning and dedicated practice reps to a specific opponent that would be more unusual than common place, as it is generally more effective/efficient from a practice time utilization standpoint to focus on what you KNOW you need for an upcoming game rather than what you MIGHT need for an upcoming game. As with most things, nothing is absolute and there could be some exceptions, if a potential opponent has a scheme, player, etc. that is unusual there might be a limited focus on specific situations in the bye week. The distinction is whether a weekly practice plan is geared to a single opponent or more general in nature with a couple of individual periods devoted to more opponent specifics with the latter being much more likely than the former.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I really look at Salem's game against Millbrook as a Big Test. Questions have to be answered. 1. Is Salem still an elite team without their most elite player? 2. Has the offensive line improved enough to move the ball against the better talent that you see from this point on? ( Salems strength is that they can run and throw, but they have to be able to run so that they set up the play action passing game) 3. Has the defense improved enough to become an elite defense? (This is one of the big reasons Salem won the state last year, the defense was excellent). This game against Millbrook will give us a pretty good idea if Salem passes the test, if they do, look out

If Salem has a strong passing game, Millbrook won't be able to handle that. I expect Salems defense to be able to limit Smiths success. Sherando did a Better job getting a hold of him in the second half after letting him run loose in the first half. I doubt Salem will have as much trouble. Like I said , shut that young man down, Salem wins easy.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Salem can throw it, but they would rather run it. It's part of their mentality. They are physical football team. What makes them difficult is their balance running and throwing.

Well offensively Sherando is the same type team as Salem. Doubt Salem has trouble scoring against Millbrook, they are not known for there defensive prowess. I expect Salems defense to be better than Sherando was a few weeks ago them. I didn't like our scheme in that game, and there were early mistakes made on assignments. I think Millbrook will be good enough to keep this game close and Salem pull away in the second half. Millbrook primarily throws to only one reciever #4. Smith will take some screens , but he is so small that you won't ever see him in the middle of the field, unless you have lost containment and are looking at the back of his jersey. I just think Millbrook is so run Heavy , that when forced to pass it will be difficult for them to stay in the game.

Well offensively Sherando is the same type team as Salem. Doubt Salem has trouble scoring against Millbrook, they are not known for there defensive prowess. I expect Salems defense to be better than Sherando was a few weeks ago them. I didn't like our scheme in that game, and there were early mistakes made on assignments. I think Millbrook will be good enough to keep this game close and Salem pull away in the second half. Millbrook primarily throws to only one reciever #4. Smith will take some screens , but he is so small that you won't ever see him in the middle of the field, unless you have lost containment and are looking at the back of his jersey. I just think Millbrook is so run Heavy , that when forced to pass it will be difficult for them to stay in the game.
What was your defensive scheme?

Last edited:
Salem will see the best back they have seen all year. Yes, better than Basham.
I've been around football a long time and Savon Smith has great field awareness and is a very special player. In my honest opinion I think he's the best player in the area and that says a lot because Rivers and Kier are D1 Commits. I don't think Millbrooks defense is good enough to beat a team like Salem but offensively their pretty tough.

Enough about the Warriors Hammy, wait 1 more year and they will be in the mix, nobody is on this thread talking about another team, Millbrook may lose but made it further then either one of our teams, HELL a front royal team won't be back the mix in our lifetime probably because of the way they have jacked up the youth program over this way. Kudos to Sherando, they could beat a handful of teams in this bracket but unfortunately they aren't there just like you and I

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Kier takes one for the team every week. His role in the offense doesn't suit his style but it is necessary to help free up Savon. (I don't know if its on purpose though.) Our passing game is coming around too. It's not diverse but the threat of Smith and Faint help. I think to pull this one out we're going to have to create some turnovers.

FWIW - Sherando will make another run at a title in two years (next?). Their youngins are that good.

Enough about the Warriors Hammy, wait 1 more year and they will be in the mix, nobody is on this thread talking about another team, Millbrook may lose but made it further then either one of our teams, HELL a front royal team won't be back the mix in our lifetime probably because of the way they have jacked up the youth program over this way. Kudos to Sherando, they could beat a handful of teams in this bracket but unfortunately they aren't there just like you and I
Maybe instead of worrying about what I am talking about, your energy would be best served in improving the youth leagues in Front royal instead of complaining about it every year.

Maybe instead of worrying about what I am talking about, your energy would be best served in improving the youth leagues in Front royal instead of complaining about it every year.
Typical response from a typical bitter homer. No problem

Buddy I don't know what your problem is, I am not bitter about one thing. I just don't know why you are constantly worried about what I am saying, especially when it has nothing to do with you. I was talking about how Sherando played Millbrooks offense and relating it to how Salem could be successful where Sherando wasn't. I don't care who wins the game, I actually hope Millbrook is successful. You are the one bringing up Front Royal youth athletics, in a post that has nothing to do with anything in this post. If anyone is bitter it's you. If you have something to add to this conversation, by all means go ahead, but I don't ever take direction from you about what I write on this website.

Buddy I don't know what your problem is, I am not bitter about one thing. I just don't know why you are constantly worried about what I am saying, especially when it has nothing to do with you. I was talking about how Sherando played Millbrooks offense and relating it to how Salem could be successful where Sherando wasn't. I don't care who wins the game, I actually hope Millbrook is successful. You are the one bringing up Front Royal youth athletics, in a post that has nothing to do with anything in this post. If anyone is bitter it's you. If you have something to add to this conversation, by all means go ahead, but I don't ever take direction from you about what I write on this website.

Maybe instead of of worrying what I'm talking about, maybe your Energy would be best served with your program, I said nothing wrong in my 1st post Hammy, not my fault you get all clammy when someone has an opinion about you or your team in here. ( I've been reading all year, you act the same way with everyone else)Besides the comment I made about the youth program over here is true, you have no idea what I have done for the youth program over here, nor should you, it's no concern to you what so ever, so to close my point about my comments and yours. SHUT UP ABOUT SHERANDO, until next year when they are relevant

Why do you get so upset because someone brings up Sherando, and yes they are relevant to the conversation because they are the only team recently that has given Millbrook a good game. If you don't want read the thread that has a Sherando reference in it, then don't click on it. Sorry about your whole Front royal problems, no matter if you are part of it or not. But no need to take it out on me because you are feeling sorry for yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT