ADVERTISEMENT

Hen Warriors Football

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002

Henrico HS Student Activities
@HenricoWarrior

#Henrico is excited to announce DeShawn Holmes as new head FB coach. Holmes is a HCPS graduate, played 4yrs at UR serving as captain Senior year. Holmes is currently on staff in the HHS English dept, serves and an Administrative Aide in addition to being on FB staff since 15'.

I'm not sure about a quick turnaround because I can't 100% speak to what his on field coaching abilities are(Xs and Os). But I do know for sure Coach Holmes is a high character discipline guy. At minimum you'll see a more organized unit and better effort team. Unfortunately for him the top of region 4B requires you to run a mini college program to break through the top and get real results.

I'm not sure about a quick turnaround because I can't 100% speak to what his on field coaching abilities are(Xs and Os). But I do know for sure Coach Holmes is a high character discipline guy. At minimum you'll see a more organized unit and better effort team. Unfortunately for him the top of region 4B requires you to run a mini college program to break through the top and get real results.
Excellent points. I read that Holmes is apart of the English department and is an admin aide , meaning he’s a true educator and he’s going to do things by the book. “He’s a high character discipline guy” 👏🏽👏🏽. That’s the biggest hurdle at a school like Henrico so I love where the program could potentially land. As you said, it’ll take him some time to put his stamp on things. Losing culture, weeding out the knuckleheads (not the kids, the football coaching staff), player retention rates, being consistent, etc. If you judge Henrico off of 7 on 7, most would think they’re a state contender. Shows that they have some talent in that program, just needs some discipline and structure to take them to that next level.

@BoKnowsSports you are right in the money. Dinwiddie, Bird, and Henrico scrimmaged together for years. It used to drive me crazy to see the talent Henrico had being led by coaches who acted like juveniles. The players will never be disciplined unless the coaches are. Getting rid of the "knuckleheads" should be the first priority. I wish the new coach and the Warriors the best.

@BoKnowsSports you are right in the money. Dinwiddie, Bird, and Henrico scrimmaged together for years. It used to drive me crazy to see the talent Henrico had being led by coaches who acted like juveniles. The players will never be disciplined unless the coaches are. Getting rid of the "knuckleheads" should be the first priority. I wish the new coach and the Warriors the best.
Well stated. I was flabbergasted to watch the Henrico coaching staff. There was no coordination by the staff. Every coach, of which they had way too many, were freelancing, even contradicted each other frequently. There was not much guidance or direction being provided to the players.

And like was previously stated, the talent was there, no question about that. It was nearly criminal to see it wasted like that.

Hopefully this new coach will be the start of something better. But like is being talked about on another thread, it has to start at the top. You lead by example. Whether it is a good example or a poor example, it’s still leadership.

You’d think Henrico County Public Schools would do a better job of background checks on who they let around the student athletes but unfortunately, if it’s not happening at Deep Run, Freeman or Godwin issue, it’s not important. They let a lot of pieces of 💩 around the kids at some of those schools.

You’d think Henrico County Public Schools would do a better job of background checks on who they let around the student athletes but unfortunately, if it’s not happening at Deep Run, Freeman or Godwin issue, it’s not important. They let a lot of pieces of 💩 around the kids at some of those schools.
I can't speak for Henrico, but you are right. So many teams have negative coaches and hang-ons guys. It starts at the rec league level and if the HS head coach allows it it's on. Unfortunately, it's part of the athletic culture. Players get sucked in and can't think for themselves. It has ruined a lot of careers early in the past 15 years. That's exactly why the right choice for a coach or leader is so important.

Meatheads & Knuckleheads abound in the HS assistant coaching pool. It’s easy to spot the good head coaches by observing how the assistants operate.
I’ve always believed that head and assistant coaches should be educators or work in some capacity within the school system or local government (policeman, fireman, hell pay our Veterans to coach these kids). It’s some wicked stuff that goes on within these programs that let any and everybody coach these kids.

It’s one of those things where the people willing to do the job for the peanuts pay aren’t always the best people for the students. Sometimes they are, but good head coaches usually have to really dig around to fill out a coaching roster with quality assistants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT