ADVERTISEMENT

Henrico Handles Lee-Davis 21-14

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
We are not yet to the playoffs but tonight sure did feel like one as Henrico and Lee-Davis took the field. It’s been a while since these teams played a game with so much on the line but that was the case tonight. Lee-Davis and Henrico both playing in 5A-South were looking to better their seeding but obviously only one truly can and that one was Henrico.

Of course at the start of this game, it hardly felt like it would be Henrico’s night. The defense of Henrico, the strength of the program allowed the Confederates to go 65-yard in four plays! The Confederates had good field position thanks to a big return on the kickoff and with Mummau passing the ball and Nathan Evans running the ball for a total of 24 yards on two carries, the Confederates found the endzone that quickly. Up 7-0 in less than two minutes, it appeared as though this would be their night…

In a foreshadowing of things to come however, the Confederates fumbled the ball on the first offensive snap and were able to recover but it was a sign of things to come I guess you could say.

Penalties were a common theme on this night, particularly for Henrico and their first offensive possession was a perfect example of that as they were hit with a false start call. The Warriors could not overcome the lost yardage but the tide of the game was changing…

Lee-Davis moved the ball yet again to start their second possession of the night but D’Andre Walker nearly picked off Chase Mummau’s pass on first down at the 37 yard line. While not an interception, it was a broken pass and the Confederates who had gotten two first downs on this possession alone was unable to gain another yard.

Henrico working from their 20 put together a methodical drive that featured the ball being spread around between Rayquan Andrews and Xavier Goodall. That combo moved the ball 80 yards to the endzone but it almost didn’t happen! The Warriors were actually facing a 4th & 3 from the 33 when Chambers hit Andrews on a 33-yard touchdown pass… Andrews was wide open in space and scored the first touchdown of the night for the Warriors.

Lee-Davis and Henrico exchanged possessions and Lee-Davis was set to recover the punt but whoops! The ball touched a Confederate foot and an alert Warrior grabbed up the ball and took it to the endzone but it was called back however the ball was now in possession of the Warriors. That miscue led to another Warrior touchdown as the Warriors moved 21 yards in three plays with Goodall the ball carrier going in from two yards out. That touchdown along with the PAT made it a 13-7 lead for the Warriors.

Lee-Davis made mistakes that helped Henrico, mistakes such as turnovers but mistakes also such as roughing the kicker on a Warriors fourth down punt in the second quarter. While the Warriors were unable to capitalize on this miscue, it was yet another example of the miscues that resulted in the Confederates loss. Speaking of turnovers, the Confederates turned it over in the second quarter when D’Andre Walker intercepted a Mummau pass.

From that turnovers the Warriors marched down field 51-yards with the ball once again spread around. The Warriors shot themselves in the foot with penalties after they had gotten the ball to the 4-yard line of Lee-Davis but it was no matter as the Warriors still got the ball in the endzone and again carrying it in was Xavier Goodall.

That’s how it stood at halftime, the Confederates with that early shot but the Warriors had won the battle of the first half.

Up by two touchdowns, the Warriors had the ball to start the second half. The Warriors first possession of the second half was stymied by penalties and their second possession after a 3 and out from Lee-Davis fared no better. The Warriors nearly turned the ball over on the first snap but Andrews was able to recover the fumble. A 42-yard pass from Chambers to Chavis was huge to get the Warriors to the 18-yard line but moments later Billy Kemp intercepted a Chambers pass as the Warriors faced a 3rd & 13.

While Henrico could capitalize on Lee-Davis turnovers, the same could not be said for Lee-Davis. The Confederates had to settle for minimal gains on offense as the Warriors defense was as good as advertised. Whereas Henrico had little trouble scoring in the first half, it didn’t come as easily in the second half. As we enter the fourth quarter the Warriors were punting the ball and Lee-Davis was making it a game after all.

The Confederates aided by two personal foul calls had the ball at their own 39-yard line. Mummau hit Miles Johnson and Johnson took the reception 61-yards for a score! A score that the Confederates fans went crazy over. Now just a touchdown down, we had ourselves a game.

Henrico nearly had the ball picked off, the Confederates could have had the ball back with plenty of time to get something done but three players, two Confederates and one Warrior all went up for the ball but two collided and another was there as the ball was bouncing between them but no one could come up with the ball and it fell incomplete.

The two exchanged possessions and then the game got really interesting. From their own 18 yard line the Confederates moved the ball on Henrico, also aided by a pass interference call against Henrico. The positive yards and the penalty gave the Confederates the ball at the 10 with less than two minutes to go. Closer and closer the Confederates go, the ball sitting on the 6, 3rd & 1 and Lee-Davis fumbled the ball… D’Andre Walker who had come up with an intereception earlier in the game recovered the loose ball and just like that, what seemed like a game that might go into overtime was looking like a Warrior win.

The Warriors with a first down was able to run out the clock and hold on to a big win…

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter-
10:27- Nathan Evans 10-yard touchdown run, PAT good; Lee-Davis 7-0.
1:30- Lawrence Chambers 33-yard touchdown pass to Kobe Chavis, PAT no good; Lee-Davis 7-6.

2nd Quarter-
8:11- Xavier Goodall 4-yard touchdown run, PAT good; Henrico 13-7.
23.3- Xavier Goodall 2-yard touchdown run, 2-point conversion good; Henrico 21-7.

3rd Quarter-

4th Quarter-
10:51- Lawrence Chambers 61-yard touchdown pass to Nathan Evans, PAT good; Henrico 21-14.

KEYS TO VICTORY

Turnovers… The Warriors took two turnovers and on the ensuing possession they were able to score. How can one overlook as well the fact that a turnover essentially won the game for the Warriors. The fumble on the six yard line with less than two minutes to go did in the Confederates. With that fumble and the two turnovers that led to Warrior touchdowns, it’s pretty clear without the turnovers, this would have been a completely different game.

Defense… The Warriors since Coach Glasco took over has been a defensively minded team and tonight that defense not only came up with turnovers but they also took a Confederates defense and reduced them to a team that had to rely on big plays. I cannot tell you the number of times the Warriors defense was overwhelming a Confederate and that was the big thing for me. It wasn’t just one or two players, more times than not the Warriors defense as a whole was limiting what the Confederates could do. Whether it was Kadof Wright, Kyhseen Myrick, Kevonte Demery or even Akeem Smith, there was no shortage of players standing up to a usually effective Confederates offense.

It is no coincidence that the two losses the Confederates have come to two defensively strong teams and the best defensive teams the Confederates have faced this season.

PLAYERS OF THE GAME

It wasn’t an ideal night for Chase Mummau but even with the offense struggling at times, he still had the Confederates on the verge of tying the game. The Confederates quarterback completed just 11 of his 24 passes but at nights end he had 162 yards. Not only did he throw a touchdown, a big one at that but on their last possession of the night he helped get the Confederates in position to tie. Without his play at quarterback, it’s possible the Confederates wouldn’t have been in the game at the end.

D’Andre Walker nearly had three turnovers on this night. He nearly had an interception earlier in the game and then in the second quarter he did intercept a Chase Mummau pass. That interception led to a Warriors touchdown but as big as that was, nothing was as big as his final turnover of the night. With the Confederates on the verge of scoring, Walker saw a loose ball on third down with the Confederates at 6 and he recovered that loose ball to preserve a Warrior win.

EXTRA POINTS

I wish to apologize to Lee-Davis fans, players and coaches… I’ve been to two Lee-Davis games this season and they lost both. I won’t come to anymore.

This was the first time I’ve been to a high school football game and saw people in the stands selling popcorn and cotton candy.

Lee-Davis was 4th in seeding, they should fall and with Douglas Freeman winning, they should take over that spot. 5th could be Lee-Davis but with Henrico’s win over Lee-Davis, Henrico could be in that 5th spot, Lee-Davis in the 6th. I guess we will find out on Monday.

Not sure your attending caused the losses...come back for the Tomato Bowl as we hope LD can finish regular season strong.

Not sure your attending caused the losses...come back for the Tomato Bowl as we hope LD can finish regular season strong.

Would love to witness my first Tomato Bowl but I will be at the battle of unbeatens, Hermitage-Freeman. Good luck to you and the Confederates this week.

I wish to apologize to Lee-Davis fans, players and coaches… I’ve been to two Lee-Davis games this season and they lost both. I won’t come to anymore.

It's funny that you say this...Talking with Rod at the Dinwiddie - Hopewell game and he said
"I've come to 2 Hopewell games and they have lost both of them...They might not want to see me again"

Well Rod, Hopewell hasn't seen you since and they have won every game! ;)

It's funny that you say this...Talking with Rod at the Dinwiddie - Hopewell game and he said
"I've come to 2 Hopewell games and they have lost both of them...They might not want to see me again"

Well Rod, Hopewell hasn't seen you since and they have won every game! ;)

Talk to North Stafford Coach Joe Mangano.

The last three times that I've seen him, he's lost on the last play of the game. Cannot believe that they haven't banned me yet

Come to think of it, last six Varina games I've been to they have lost as well... So I guess Lee-Davis and Varina don't want me around, lol!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT