ADVERTISEMENT

Henrico QB

IS THE QB FOR HENRICO SUSPENDED FOR THE REST OF THE PLAYOFFS
Suspended for 2 games. Henrico vs Bird next week (Bird wins with J. Jones suspended). Then the next week the winner of this game plays the winner of the HSHS/ Glen Allen game. So, unless Henrico wins both of these games without him, HE'S AS GOOD AS DONE!

Suspended for 2 games. Henrico vs Bird next week (Bird wins with J. Jones suspended). Then the next week the winner of this game plays the winner of the HSHS/ Glen Allen game. So, unless Henrico wins both of these games without him, HE'S AS GOOD AS DONE!
Since he missed the entire second half of the Varina game, would he technically be eligible for the second half if Henrico faced HSHS or GA?

Since he missed the entire second half of the Varina game, would he technically be eligible for the second half if Henrico faced HSHS or GA?
I'll look it up and confirm, but I'm all but positive the suspension is for the entirety of the next two contest.

It was said in the Richmond Times Dispatch. DP, Check your messages, I sent you the linka
Quarterback Jalon Jones was ejected for fighting late in the second quarter. Jones had made several big plays until that moment, throwing for 170 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for 70 yards.

But with 36 seconds remaining in the second quarter, he threw an interception to Varina’s Lavar Mallory. As Mallory returned the interception toward the Henrico end zone, Jones was blocked by Varina’s Lorenz Terry, and the two tussled.

+4

Henrico’s Jalon Jones throws the helmet of Varina’s Lorenz Terry over the fence after the two got into a fight on the field during a game on Friday Nov. 9, 2018.

SHELBY LUM/TIMES-DISPATCH
+4

Jalon Jones and Lorenz Terry fight on the field during a game on Friday Nov. 9, 2018.

SHELBY LUM/TIMES-DISPATCH
Several punches were thrown, then Jones removed Scott’s helmet and threw it into the nearby woods. Both players were ejected.

A fighting ejection means a two-game suspension for Jones.

He was ejected from the game by the refs and was giving a two game suspension for is actions,a nice 40 yard helmet

27-11-6 in the VHSL Handbook says it is three games. There is no provision for a two game suspension.
According to this rule it is either one game or three. (Three for throwing a punch for any reason).

As far as a player being available for any portion of a future contest, whether a one, two, or three game suspension, a player is never eligible for any portion of a contest for which they are ineligible.

Someone show me the rule that says he is suspended for two games. Nothing personal to the RTD, but I do not accept their reporting as "fact checked" until it is proven.

Springers, I never got your text with the RTD link. (Don't get me started on the quality of Verizon Wireless service!)

Reactions: springer76
27-11-6 in the VHSL Handbook says it is three games. There is no provision for a two game suspension.
According to this rule it is either one game or three. (Three for throwing a punch for any reason).

As far as a player being available for any portion of a future contest, whether a one, two, or three game suspension, a player is never eligible for any portion of a contest for which they are ineligible.

Someone show me the rule that says he is suspended for two games. Nothing personal to the RTD, but I do not accept their reporting as "fact checked" until it is proven.
Pretty sure VHSL changed the suspension from 2 to 3 games a couple of years ago.

Jones is done! He should've stayed in MD! Instead his attitude could cost him much more than 3 high school games!
I know all kids make mistakes but this was over the top. If I was his future college coach, I'd be rethinking some things and asking a ton of questions.

I would tend to agree with you both if college coaches cared about developing character, but most could care less. If a kid has the grades, is not in severe trouble with the law, and have the talent schools will not only take them they will lie, cheat and compromise their programs to get the players. Thats todays world in general.

Trust me, Florida and whoever has offered him are still in line. If you think coaches will take a chance on a marginal player with character over a stud with a boat load of issues you are living in a fantasy world. College coaches get paid to win not to create productive citizens.

On another note DP and I have been questioning the discipline of Henrico's team for several years. The kids are a microcosm of their coaches. Just watch the assistants on the sideline. They spend more time thumping their own chest and whooping it up than they do coaching. As coaches you have to mentor, educate and provide structure. Not happening at Henrico.

The real sad part that is ignored is the role the parent(s) play? Its so easy to blame a school or coach for issues when in fact the fault should fall back on the parents who fail to hold their own children accountable. Just sick of the entitlement and excuses.

Last edited:
On another note DP and I have been questioning the discipline of Henrico's team for several years. The kids are a microcosm of their coaches. Just watch the assistants on the sideline. They spend more time thumping their own chest and whooping it up than they do coaching. As coaches you have to mentor, educate and provide structure. Not happening at Henrico.

I agree and would point to the JV coaches specifically though Glasco as varsity head coach is ultimately responsible for their behavior. I don't really remember as many issues with the groups of players in proceeding years. I have worked the chains for JV games and this group of players and the JV coaches were a little less sportsmanlike than any of the other teams that I encountered.

I said multiple time this season that if Glasco could keep them focused on football and not all the extracurricular stuff they had the talent to compete with and beat most teams in the area.

I agree and would point to the JV coaches specifically though Glasco as varsity head coach is ultimately responsible for their behavior. I don't really remember as many issues with the groups of players in proceeding years. I have worked the chains for JV games and this group of players and the JV coaches were a little less sportsmanlike than any of the other teams that I encountered.

I said multiple time this season that if Glasco could keep them focused on football and not all the extracurricular stuff they had the talent to compete with and beat most teams in the area.
I would never try and ruin a coach, but just like you I have witnessed some disturbing behavior during scrimmages the last three years. I am not immune to foul language and it really does not bother me, but from what I heard on the sidelines I thought MFer was about half the players names. The really tall and big guy is totally disrespectful. I think he believes he is the head coach and the show. I actually like the way the head coach carries himself, but as you said he is ultimately accountable. They have some athletes too. Just need to real them in just a bit.

I would tend to agree with you both if college coaches cared about developing character, but most could care less. If a kid has the grades, is not in severe trouble with the law, and have the talent schools will not only take them they will lie, cheat and compromise their programs to get the players. Thats todays world in general.

Trust me, Florida and whoever has offered him are still in line. If you think coaches will take a chance on a marginal player with character over a stud with a boat load of issues you are living in a fantasy world. College coaches get paid to win not to create productive citizens.

The real sad part that is ignored is the role the parent(s) play? Its so easy to blame a school or coach for issues when in fact the fault should fall back on the parents who fail to hold their own children accountable. Just sick of the entitlement and excuses.

I agree with you. However, in this day and age programs are increasingly under the microscope and some coaches may not take the risk. I'm not even saying to definitely take his offer away but some tough questions and investigations into history of behavior in the classroom, at practices, in the community etc need to be asked no matter how talented he is.

When Henrico played Highland Springs last month, at the very beginning of the introduction of the teams, Henrico's team with Jones as the leader comes out with their infamous spear. Jones came over in front of the Springers bench, stabbed the spear in the ground and started taunting HSHS!! LOL...... almost immediately the officials threw a flag for unsportsmanlike behavior. They got a 15 yard penalty before the game started!!!!
Well, as the game went on you all know how it ended. Jones was battered and bruised, limping and rendered basically useless! HS whipped them 40-6....Just another incident that happened involving him and bad behavior. It was like poking a Grizzly Bear with a spear! The result was not good for them!!!o_O

Reactions: mbonape1
Jones also played his freshman year at Varina and there were problems that year

Last edited:
I know, kinda makes you wonder what the absolute truth is involving him in leaving St Francis Academy.....hmmmm.
He wasn’t gonna start at St Francis this year. Although he is a great athlete...he’s not a good passer. His only way to play FULL TIME was to move back to Richmond. His pride took a major hit,and it looks like he couldn’t handle it. Word is...Florida may be reviewing to pull his offer.

Reactions: Rev_Real
He wasn’t gonna start at St Francis this year. Although he is a great athlete...he’s not a good passer. His only way to play FULL TIME was to move back to Richmond. His pride took a major hit,and it looks like he couldn’t handle it. Word is...Florida may be reviewing to pull his offer.
I wasn't at all impressed with him in a public school setting. UofFl?? I haven't seen it yet? Got guys going to NSU and VSU with more talent.....

H
I wasn't at all impressed with him in a public school setting. UofFl?? I haven't seen it yet? Got guys going to NSU and VSU with more talent.....
He committed to UF over the summer. He’s a monster,and a super athlete,but not a very accurate passer. At 6’4-220,he’s a load in the open field. His biggest issue is his lack of discipline. He made a mistake leaving St Francis! IMHO,Henrico has NO CHANCE of beating LCBird without him,and Highland Springs gave them a beating WITH him.

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
H

He committed to UF over the summer. He’s a monster,and a super athlete,but not a very accurate passer. At 6’4-220,he’s a load in the open field. His biggest issue is his lack of discipline. He made a mistake leaving St Francis! IMHO,Henrico has NO CHANCE of beating LCBird without him,and Highland Springs gave them a beating WITH him.
Oh ok, so you're saying he has no chance of playing QB, I agree. I can't see where on the field he plays SEC football

Fits Dan Mullen's mold for QBs. He'll play QB at Florida. With Emory Jones taking a redshirt this year and likely taking the starting job next year I'd say Jalen won't see any significant playing time until his RS sophomore year. Plenty of time to develop.

Fits Dan Mullen's mold for QBs. He'll play QB at Florida. With Emory Jones taking a redshirt this year and likely taking the starting job next year I'd say Jalen won't see any significant playing time until his RS sophomore year. Plenty of time to develop.
That's fair, time will tell. Kid just needs to grow up but that too comes with time.

What a garbage, SELFISH attitude from that kid. Doesn’t care about team winning or the consequences of bad behavior. Just want to get your shots in because your feelings get hurt? Henrico coaches are culpable too.

Reactions: Rev_Real
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT