ADVERTISEMENT

Here is my question

Nov 24, 2006
Most of the rules the say are to protect the players. Can someone please explain the hurdling rule? I saw someone hurdle a defender that was diving on the ground. Kid landed and scored on a 40 yard run but he was given a personal foul and TD no good. How is that for player safety?

Most of the rules the say are to protect the players. Can someone please explain the hurdling rule? I saw someone hurdle a defender that was diving on the ground. Kid landed and scored on a 40 yard run but he was given a personal foul and TD no good. How is that for player safety?
Near identical situation by a Matoaca player last week. He scored and there was no call. There must be a key criteria that makes it a foul?

To simplify it, hurdling is a safety foul to keep people from putting their cleats in someone's neck. Not many high school players can actually hurdle an opponent. It puts both players at risk.
To be a hurdle, the hurdler must lead with the feet or knees. Diving over an opponent is ok.

The player being hurdled must be on his feet and only touching the ground with his feet.

The lead foot has to go OVER the player being hurdled. Sometimes a player looks like he was hurdling (he was certainly trying) but his lead foot or knee went next to a player, or he hurdled a gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
To simplify it, hurdling is a safety fol to keep people from pttin their cleats in someone's neck. Not many hih school players can actually hurdle an opponent. It puts both players at risk.
To be a hurdle, the hurdler must lead with the feet or knees. Diving over an opponent is ok.

The player being hurdled must be on his feet and only touching the ground with his feet.

The lead foot has to go OVER the player bein hurdled. Sometimes a player looks like he was hurding (he was certainly tryin) but his lead foot or knee went next to a player, or he hurdled a gap.
I thought you could not hurdle a dude standing up and you were allowed to hurdle a downed defender.

Whenever a ball carrier is moving down the field and a defender is coming over to make that tackle, the only time that ball carrier can hurdle the defender – and by hurdle we mean trying to go over the top of the defender, leading with their foot first – the only time they can hurdle that defender is when the defender is contacting the ground with more than just their feet and hands.

So if that defender is lying on the ground, a hurdle is a legal move. However, if that defender is still on their feet, hurdling would result in a foul.

DO BETTER WHITE HAT..........

can't hurdle a defender on their feet. can hurdle a downed defender.

I'm not sure what i need to do better than... you basically said the exact same thing I said. Your understanding is correct, it's just nomenclature at this point. I use the wording of the rule book.

Hurdling, by definition, is a foul. If a player is contacting the ground with more than just their feet, it's NOT hurdling. It's just jumping over a guy. If an opponent has a hand on the ground, there is no foul for hurdling. Feet only.

Reactions: FBRef
I'm not sure what i need to do better than... you basically said the exact same thing I said. Your understanding is correct, it's just nomenclature at this point. I use the wording of the rule book.

Hurdling, by definition, is a foul. If a player is contacting the ground with more than just their feet, it's NOT hurdling. It's just jumping over a guy. If an opponent has a hand on the ground, there is no foul for hurdling. Feet only.
I had a coach tell me that I was wrong and the rule book was wrong. I looked and him in dismay and said you just can't fix stupid.

Hurdling is illegal and a safety foul because there is potential for injury, for both players. It makes no difference whether someone actually is injured or not, Hurdling is illegal whether there's contact or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT