ADVERTISEMENT

Hey guys

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
To help me out if I am doing the points for all 4 regions, please list below the teams who are not playing at all, or those who will not participate in playoffs. Sure would help me a lot

I’m interested to see the word on Pittsylvania County. I’m hearing mixed reviews there.
My opinion, they shouldn’t be allowed in but...that’s me. Lol
That would be:
Dan River
Gretna
Chatham

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I’m interested to see the word on Pittsylvania County. I’m hearing mixed reviews there.
My opinion, they shouldn’t be allowed in but...that’s me. Lol
That would be:
Dan River
Gretna
Chatham

Why be mad at Pittsylvania Co? The VHSL is allowing it so be mad at them. I mean some districts aren’t even allowing kids to play. Pittsylvania decided to only play within the county, and VHSLis allowing. I’m just glad kids are being allowed to play. When I saw my kids take off from the start line for XC 2 weeks ago, my heart burst with joy! just enjoy this year and season for what it’s worth and stop fussing every chance you get about Pittsylvania Co schools. Geez.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Your are correct in I’m glad to see them play. That is the first and most important deal.
I guess the VHSL is to blame. If schools chose to back out of then there should have been some deal where they knew by doing that they would forgo their chance at playoffs.
If a team has to forfeit games I vunderstand a concession given, I’m just saying if a system makes that choice then there should have been a stipulation on playing in the post season.

I too am thrilled to see my son playing and am glad for all seniors AND the senior parents to get to watch their kids.
I just hate the thought the our kids (Appo) could end up on the short end of the stick for playoffs (and possibly not even make the playoffs) because of having to two 1- A teams. If there was no state championship it would not matter, but there is.
Once again though, I am glad they are all playing and parents get to watch.

When a game is cancelled or forfeited how are points assigned?

When a game is cancelled or forfeited how are points assigned?

If canceled, it's as if the game didn't happen (so if a normal season, total points would be divided by 9 instead of 10). A forfeit counts the same as if you played the game.

Both can end up helping or hurting the ratings.

And Bo Bob, with the same 3 games to go for Appomattox, your Rating will be the same as it is now (will be posted as soon as I can get the results of Fort Chiswell and Bland). So unless Appomattox loses a game, they certainly will not miss the playoffs, and looks to be close on 1-3 seeds (obviously depends on outcomes and what the OFFICIAL determination of that counties schools is)

Reactions: Bo Bob
I believe if you factor in Altavista winning again Appo power point rate will be 20.3 . or a total of 122 points over 6.

Last edited:
If canceled, it's as if the game didn't happen (so if a normal season, total points would be divided by 9 instead of 10). A forfeit counts the same as if you played the game.

Both can end up helping or hurting the ratings.

And Bo Bob, with the same 3 games to go for Appomattox, your Rating will be the same as it is now (will be posted as soon as I can get the results of Fort Chiswell and Bland). So unless Appomattox loses a game, they certainly will not miss the playoffs, and looks to be close on 1-3 seeds (obviously depends on outcomes and what the OFFICIAL determination of that counties schools is)
Thanks!

I believe if you factor in Altavista winning again Appo power point rate will be 20.3 . or a total of 122 points over 6.

I haven't looked that far ahead. I was just assuming that all 3 had played each other once, and will again.

So at present, just with Appomattox, they have 20 from Altavista, 20 from WC, and 20 from Nelson. So an average of 20.

Just assume Appomattox wins out. Altavista wins other 2, William Campbell beats Nelson, so Nelson loses out. The overall rating does rise, but at the same clip.

So at that time, Appomattox gets:

24 from Altavista or 48 total
22 from William Campbell or 44 total
20 from Nelson or 40 total

132 total points. 22.00 Average

To help me out if I am doing the points for all 4 regions, please list below the teams who are not playing at all, or those who will not participate in playoffs. Sure would help me a lot
Everyone is playing in 2D, but points will be hard to nail down. Lots of discrepancies, but only thing I've heard AND read in newspapers is Abingdon will not count for M7 teams and non-district games will not count for SWD teams in terms of points for Reg D seedings.

That is supposed to ensure an equal chance for each 2D team to make the playoffs, 5-2A games for each team.

We'll see if that's how things turn out.

Years ago the VHSL adjusted points so you never lose points for playing down. I.E. playing Altavista and WC they actually give you points equivalent to your level. If Appomattox was 6A and beat a winless 1A school they wouldn’t get the 16 points for a 1A. They would get 26. BC Appo is 2A they get 2A level points for the wins. The VHSL did this to prevent punishing teams who had to play smaller teams in district and, essentially, not punish teams who played smaller schools out of district. Imagine if Tunstall, for example, got lower points for lower level schools. They are 3A and play 3 2A’s in Pittsylvania for out of district and then turn around and have to play both Patrick County and Martinsville in district generally. Half their schedule is smaller than they are every year minimum.

Reactions: BigDaddyFromThe434
Now if you want to play devil’s advocate. Let’s say Appomattox shut down for the next 3 weeks for Covid. Their rating would actually go up. Assuming WC, Alta, and Nelson between the three combine for 3 wins, it actually adds 6 points to Appomattox’s point total to give them 66 total over 3 games for a rating of 22! This is a loophole I was hoping would be addressed on the regional level with a common divisor instead of number of games bc it actually behooves a team to NOT play 6 otherwise

Reactions: BigDaddyFromThe434
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT