ADVERTISEMENT

Highfill legacy

IMO Coach Highfill will be greatly missed. Happy trails in retirement. One of those old school coaches who staid at a school for the long haul and wasn't constantly trying to move to greener [ more talent] pastures. Was willing to stay in good times and bad. Also was a soccer coach if my info is correct??? Whoa, how about that. A football coach who also not only tolerates soccer BUT COACHES SOCCER !! Seems like a well rounded man who has been a class example for a lot of young people for a long time. Once again, good luck in your future.

Did a lot with a little throughout his career. He was always willing to be creative and take chances to remain competitive with lesser skill than his opponents. He should be an easy choice for the VHSL Hall of Fame.

Did a lot with a little throughout his career. He was always willing to be creative and take chances to remain competitive with lesser skill than his opponents. He should be an easy choice for the VHSL Hall of Fame.
I know nothing about the coach at all, but since you mentioned the HOF I'll ask the question. What do you think qualifies someone for HOF as a coach? I looked over his long record. Looks like 37 years at Byrd. 12 playoff teams and never getting past the 2nd rd. unless I overlooked it. To stay there that long he obviously was a good guy. From a "winning" standpoint, is there / should there be a standard that must be met to be considered for the HOF?

Reactions: VolNation85
You ask a great question. Is it just wins and losses? Championships? Or do other harder to define criteria factor in.
I just know I've known some great guys, who were probably pretty good coaches in general, but would never sniff the HOF due to their W-L's.

I just know I've known some great guys, who were probably pretty good coaches in general, but would never sniff the HOF due to their W-L's.
And that is fair I guess. Wins and losses do matter in this participation certificate age.

Highfill's comprehensive contribution as both football and soccer will hopefully get him in the hall of fame. Were it not for Blacksburg he might have fistful of soccer state title rings. His soccer record is probably superior to his football record.

He retired as the soccer coach a couple of years ago after 35 or 36 years. So I would definitely think he would qualify for the HOF.

Highfill's comprehensive contribution as both football and soccer will hopefully get him in the hall of fame. Were it not for Blacksburg he might have fistful of soccer state title rings. His soccer record is probably superior to his football record.
I'm sure he's fine. Like I say, to stick around anywhere that long you must be doing something right.

I believe his contributions in both football and soccer warrant hall of fame status. The guy can flat out coach. His level of consistency in both sports with (in my opinion) overall mediocre talent, always doing it the right way etc. make him a Hall of Famer.

Reactions: mike salem
I don't really think he's a HoF football coach. However, his success in soccer, which I see as leagues beyond what he did in football, as well as successful stints in tennis and girl's basketball combine for a HoF qualification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT