ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs news.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
That was a nice report on NBC 12 on how the volunteers are working to improve the appearance of the school. Great job supporters!!!

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -
A group of students and volunteers are getting ready to revamp eastern Henrico’s Highland Springs High School, this Saturday. The school's principal says the renovations will change much more than just the color of the walls.

"It's a great way to walk in and just have a new environment. I believe that sometimes students don't see change, or recognize change, until they actually see it around them," said Pam Bell, Highland Springs High School’s new principal.

This main hallway is getting a fresh coat of golden paint, and better lighting. The outside will have new landscaping. Forty volunteers -- involving neighbors, teachers, and students -- are donating their time and effort to make it happen.

"This is just one little piece of what we're trying to do to help our students feel great, which will then roll over into our academics. I believe that," continued Bell.

The renovations aren't just about brightening up the walls, but brightening up the students' perception of not only the school, but themselves.

"We're just protecting this place, which so many people have their own perceptions about, and they're absolutely wrong. Our goal is to do what we can to dispel those negative comments, because we have a majority of our students doing outstanding things every day," explained Bell.

The project comes after several elementary schools in Henrico also got renovated, but through a national organization. The upgrades at Highland Springs High are a grassroots effort.

Dad Sjoerd Onley says he cares deeply for the school, after having four of his kids attend it.

"It's the kids really, just being involved with the kids, watching them grow, watching my kids grow with them," said Onley.

Bell says if all goes well this Saturday, she'll rally up the volunteers and the students again, for another round of renovations.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

Last edited:
That was a nice report on NBC 12 on how the volunteers are working to improve the appearance of the school. Great job supporters!!!

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -
A group of students and volunteers are getting ready to revamp eastern Henrico’s Highland Springs High School, this Saturday. The school's principal says the renovations will change much more than just the color of the walls.

"It's a great way to walk in and just have a new environment. I believe that sometimes students don't see change, or recognize change, until they actually see it around them," said Pam Bell, Highland Springs High School’s new principal.

This main hallway is getting a fresh coat of golden paint, and better lighting. The outside will have new landscaping. Forty volunteers -- involving neighbors, teachers, and students -- are donating their time and effort to make it happen.

"This is just one little piece of what we're trying to do to help our students feel great, which will then roll over into our academics. I believe that," continued Bell.

The renovations aren't just about brightening up the walls, but brightening up the students' perception of not only the school, but themselves.

"We're just protecting this place, which so many people have their own perceptions about, and they're absolutely wrong. Our goal is to do what we can to dispel those negative comments, because we have a majority of our students doing outstanding things every day," explained Bell.

The project comes after several elementary schools in Henrico also got renovated, but through a national organization. The upgrades at Highland Springs High are a grassroots effort.

Dad Sjoerd Onley says he cares deeply for the school, after having four of his kids attend it.

"It's the kids really, just being involved with the kids, watching them grow, watching my kids grow with them," said Onley.

Bell says if all goes well this Saturday, she'll rally up the volunteers and the students again, for another round of renovations.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

That is a really special project that they are doing in Highland Springs! It is so special to me because I went to HS Elementary School in the 1st year it opened. Spent all 4 of my High School years at Highland Springs HS. Have been a resident of Highland Springs all of my life!
They have just recently completed revamping the Elementary School and now they are doing the High School!!! It's just wonderful to know that our community here cares so much about the kids and care about doing the right thing here within the community!
At Highland Springs HS, they have also had the gymnasium renovated !! New Basketball court and many other great upgrades!!! I'm so excited to step foot on the property as an alumni and community member and watch the wonderful things Lauren Johnson (football coach) and George Lancaster (Basketball Coach) have done with these kids! Turning them into fine young men, sending them on to college and teaching them not only sports but how to live their lives. Not to mention putting out a fantastic football team and basketball team year in and year out!!!
Go Springers!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I've noticed that when you get one sports program "doing it right", it becomes infectious. Almost every program improves and embraces "doing it right" and by that, I mean what Springers stated.

Congratulations on what has been accomplished. Your pride is very justified.

No love from Franklin Harris Girls Coach?? He's done a great job as well.
No love from Franklin Harris Girls Coach?? He's done a great job as well.
Coach Harris too. All of the coaches for that matter. I'll put out another name for 'ya that is doing a FANTASTIC job at HSHS... That is Davon Yonkers and his staff. He is the Band Director! One of the Best marching bands out there. Very entertaining!

Reactions: BTW1975
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT