ADVERTISEMENT

Hopewell v P'Burg

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
F7zvrT0WkAEHXQ0

Looks like Hopewell is now the clear favorite in 3A. Everyone else is stumbling.

Hopewell is just starting to get healthy Henderson and lineman lighter are back and a couple of other players are still out, but should be back next week. I think if they stay healthy they can make a run at the championship, but if about match ups and playing well at the right time. Hopewell quarterback is a duel threat he can run and pass so he the x factor for them I think. I went to the game yesterday against petersburg and he killed them he had about 300 passing and probably 100 rushing.

@10iceiceice and @Lafayette come playoff time your teams will likely bump heads. Right now I would give Hopewell a slight edge. The Blue Devils have the fire power on offense to pressure the Rams solid defense and a healthy Henderson is tough to stop. The Hopewell quarterback and their receivers are the key. Do you try and stop Hopewell's sound running game and give up big plays in the passing game or play straight up and hope the Blue Devils don't run the ball down your throat. Lafayette can play with Hopewell, but they must control the ball and the clock. I have seen the Rams do this very effectively in the past, so they are capable.

Hopewell still has two very tough matchups left in Matoaca and Thomas Dale. They could easily be 7-3. Lafayette will likely end up 8-2. Seeding could be a factor in this one. Turf (Lafayette) vs. Sod (Hopewell). If this match up plays out I want to see it.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
@10iceiceice and @Lafayette come playoff time your teams will likely bump heads. Right now I would give Hopewell a slight edge. The Blue Devils have the fire power on offense to pressure the Rams solid defense and a healthy Henderson is tough to stop. The Hopewell quarterback and their receivers are the key. Do you try and stop Hopewell's sound running game and give up big plays in the passing game or play straight up and hope the Blue Devils don't run the ball down your throat. Lafayette can play with Hopewell, but they must control the ball and the clock. I have seen the Rams do this very effectively in the past, so they are capable.

Hopewell still has two very tough matchups left in Matoaca and Thomas Dale. They could easily be 7-3. Lafayette will likely end up 8-2. Seeding could be a factor in this one. Turf (Lafayette) vs. Sod (Hopewell). If this match up plays out I want to see it.
Your accurate scenario is very close to the game against Warhill. Excellent multiple receivers, excellent backs snd a very mobile accurate passer in their QB. Controlling the clock is the key like you said. Very well done in the first half by Lafayette but then the recurring penalty problem reared it’s head in the 2nd half snd stopped several drives short and stopped that momentum. At least this year Lafayette has played on grass twice and one of the practice fields is grass.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Lafayette mentioning penalty problems prompts me to ask this. In many of the post game comments, everyone is talking about all the penalties. Most are not blaming it on the officiating, just that the players are making a lot of discipline type mistakes; offsides and the like. Is it me, or is there truly an increase this season?

It's an increase. Partly players and partly inexperienced officials. Some of the calls would have been passed over a few years back. If it's not part of the play let it go. I heard an official tell another official at our Thomas Dale game that this was his only his third varsity game. Subsequently, he called an illegal formation that was not and negated a long Dinwiddie gain. Oh well they are human. The holding calls are mostly on the players. They just can't black anymore without tugging on a jersey. It's crazy, but the reality. Basically, the current blocking rules have led to poor technique and subsequently more flags. Now the abundance of unsportsmanlike and personal fouls are generally just about attitude. Heck 40 years ago we talked trash to one another, but I never disrespected an official or opposing coach. Heard it several times this year.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT