ADVERTISEMENT

How About them Scrappy Bobcats?

Where did the QB from Richlands or R.E. Lee go...both were runners and Lefty's...that would be good fits. Appo has a former QB who played with Henderson who should rejoin him.

If you're talking about Scruggs, he's at Liberty.
And Richlands, do you mean Asbury? I think he had higher aspirations than UVAW. He would have had a chance to succeed, but UVAW is at a talent disadvantage almost every game they've played the last five years or so. And the new conference is supposedly even tougher, so the staff will need to start convincing the absolute elite level players who aren't quite P5 kids to come there instead of Liberty, VMI, E&H, etc... You can't compose a roster of solely Wise and Dickenson County kids and complete at this level, but there are players out there that go to Ferrum or Tusculum or any other schools that could help Wise.
If Wise could string together a couple great seasons, it would really give the kids a better reason to come there and receive a great education and compete at a high level.

Henderson has been incredible for the Cavs, their best defensive player.
I wish more kids from the area would consider UVAW, the facilities are very good now and if they can ever get a QB, they could make some noise. Those teams when Hibbard and Robbins were under center slinging the ball were fun as hell.

even now, former Graham star RB Jaymora Cousins is a second team All Conference RB.
Yes Henderson is beasting it at UVAW, he put on some muscle weight and doing well. I helped coach youth varsity for 3 years when all the 2015-2017, players came through, Henderson and Matt Page the 2015 QB...when they was 11-13 yrs old. Matt never played QB until he was in JV, they went undeafted then also. I new when them young men made it to Varsity something special was gonna happen and it did, Appos 1st State Title in Football, then 2 more to follow. The running back Fleshman and OL Morgan playing for Golden Eagles in Charelston. Them Appo boys rebuilding now. The 2015 QB from Appo Matt Page is actually my nephew. Matt ( Deuce ) Page and Henderson (Buster) was best friends. They would stay after practice for hours to perfect their talent. My nephew Matt Page surpassed the Appomattox passing yardage record and now he holds that title still. He definetly could throw a bullet and laybit in the bread basket, also was smart with the ball to throw away when need be and not force it. Not saying that because it was my nephew, just being real. Coach Smith told Matt if only you would have done this great for another year he would have got plenty of looks. (But he couldn't cause he was a senior in 2015) My nephew is 6'1, JMU said if he was 6'3 they would have made a offer (cough cough "Drew Breez) UVA Cavaliers contacted him and wanted him to walk on but my nephew weighed his options and didn't wanna risk getting hurt because Ship Builders Apprenticeship School in Norfolk, VA. Offered him a full ride. He went there, played ball a couple years learned a trade in welding, worked on the ship yard and now life has taken him to other opportunities.

And Richlands, do you mean Asbury? I think he had higher aspirations than UVAW. He would have had a chance to succeed, but UVAW is at a talent disadvantage almost every game they've played the last five years or so. And the new conference is supposedly even tougher, so the staff will need to start convincing the absolute elite level players who aren't quite P5 kids to come there instead of Liberty, VMI, E&H, etc... You can't compose a roster of solely Wise and Dickenson County kids and complete at this level, but there are players out there that go to Ferrum or Tusculum or any other schools that could help Wise.
If Wise could string together a couple great seasons, it would really give the kids a better reason to come there and receive a great education and compete at a high level.
No, Page and Henderson was the QB/WR connection. Along with Graves.

Wish you could go back and edit.. Reason i said Coach Smith told Matt he wish he could have had him for another year because after winning State is what get the scouts attention. So basically he could have got looked all of 2016 if he didnt graduate in 15... Just wanted to clear that up of why Coach Smith told the to M.Page #2 better known as ( Deuce)

Wish you could go back and edit.. Reason i said Coach Smith told Matt he wish he could have had him for another year because after winning State is what get the scouts attention. So basically he could have got looked all of 2016 if he didnt graduate in 15... Just wanted to clear that up of why Coach Smith told the to M.Page #2 better known as ( Deuce)
To edit a post just hit the tools button below the post on the left. When you click on that you will see a place to edit. Just FYI for future reference.

Reactions: HolyFrog
Where did the QB from Richlands or R.E. Lee go...both were runners and Lefty's...that would be good fits. Appo has a former QB who played with Henderson who should rejoin him.

John Luke Asbury walked on at Marshall. Not sure what his status is with the Herd now. @Ryan4VT would probably know.

The SAC where UVA-Wise is going is weaker than the MEC in football but MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher in basketball. Lincoln Memorial and Queens, both of the SAC, usually go into the NCAA D2 national tournament ranked 1 and 2 in the nation in D2 year after year.

John Luke Asbury walked on at Marshall. Not sure what his status is with the Herd now. @Ryan4VT would probably know.

The SAC where UVA-Wise is going is weaker than the MEC in football but MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher in basketball. Lincoln Memorial and Queens, both of the SAC, usually go into the NCAA D2 national tournament ranked 1 and 2 in the nation in D2 year after year.

Don't (or didnt) they have two football teams still alive in at least the Sweet 16 or further? I know it's not quite as loaded with teams like Notre Dame (OH) still alive and Shepherd and Fairmont being nationally ranked teams, but I thought it supposedly had better football depth.

Basketball, I knew. Talk about leaping into the fire. I miss the NAIA days, the old conference tourney was so fun and occasionally the Cavs would compete with title contenders like Georgetown or Pikeville.

Yes Henderson is beasting it at UVAW, he put on some muscle weight and doing well. I helped coach youth varsity for 3 years when all the 2015-2017, players came through, Henderson and Matt Page the 2015 QB...when they was 11-13 yrs old. Matt never played QB until he was in JV, they went undeafted then also. I new when them young men made it to Varsity something special was gonna happen and it did, Appos 1st State Title in Football, then 2 more to follow. The running back Fleshman and OL Morgan playing for Golden Eagles in Charelston. Them Appo boys rebuilding now. The 2015 QB from Appo Matt Page is actually my nephew. Matt ( Deuce ) Page and Henderson (Buster) was best friends. They would stay after practice for hours to perfect their talent. My nephew Matt Page surpassed the Appomattox passing yardage record and now he holds that title still. He definetly could throw a bullet and laybit in the bread basket, also was smart with the ball to throw away when need be and not force it. Not saying that because it was my nephew, just being real. Coach Smith told Matt if only you would have done this great for another year he would have got plenty of looks. (But he couldn't cause he was a senior in 2015) My nephew is 6'1, JMU said if he was 6'3 they would have made a offer (cough cough "Drew Breez) UVA Cavaliers contacted him and wanted him to walk on but my nephew weighed his options and didn't wanna risk getting hurt because Ship Builders Apprenticeship School in Norfolk, VA. Offered him a full ride. He went there, played ball a couple years learned a trade in welding, worked on the ship yard and now life has taken him to other opportunities.

It would have been nice to see all those guys have stuck together for the Cavs, but you can never fault a kid for getting a free education and learning a trade and succeeding in life.
THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT of football at this level! Sooooo few actually make an NFL roster and stick, it's really a handful. I don't know Region C as well as D, but in my area, really only 3-4 guys in recent memory have made NFL rosters and played more than 1-2 years. Both Jones', Ahmad Bradshaw, Heath Miller all made rosters for multiple years, while several others stuck for a season or two, so it's such a small number, kids should focus on using their talent to get the best education possible and enjoy their youth. Most will never make a dime playing football, but if you can parlay football into a degree in a skill, you've exceeded greatly with your talent

It would have been nice to see all those guys have stuck together for the Cavs, but you can never fault a kid for getting a free education and learning a trade and succeeding in life.
THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT of football at this level! Sooooo few actually make an NFL roster and stick, it's really a handful. I don't know Region C as well as D, but in my area, really only 3-4 guys in recent memory have made NFL rosters and played more than 1-2 years. Both Jones', Ahmad Bradshaw, Heath Miller all made rosters for multiple years, while several others stuck for a season or two, so it's such a small number, kids should focus on using their talent to get the best education possible and enjoy their youth. Most will never make a dime playing football, but if you can parlay football into a degree in a skill, you've exceeded greatly with your talent
Yes. Agreed. In Region C a little while back there was a set of brother from Dan River that made it to NFL.

Last edited:
Don't (or didnt) they have two football teams still alive in at least the Sweet 16 or further? I know it's not quite as loaded with teams like Notre Dame (OH) still alive and Shepherd and Fairmont being nationally ranked teams, but I thought it supposedly had better football depth.

Basketball, I knew. Talk about leaping into the fire. I miss the NAIA days, the old conference tourney was so fun and occasionally the Cavs would compete with title contenders like Georgetown or Pikeville.

Lenoir Rhyne and Wingate made the playoffs but faced each other in round 2, so only Lenoir Rhyne remains from the SAC.

The NAIA days were fun especially in basketball when the conference tournaments were always held at the Bearcat Den at Virginia High. Basketball games being played from 9 am in the morning to about 11 at night. Good times.

All 3 ? Dang... Yeah now I remember cause Tremaine went to VT and it looked like my 9ers was gonna draft him but we went the the trouble maker Reuben Foster that we just cut from yet another supposed assault charge.

Yeah, I said 9ers.... Shush it lol

On talent alone, Foster was the better pick. If he wasn't a violent moron off the field, he would be an All-Pro, so as a Niners fan I can't be too mad they went with the more talented guy but dang having a good guy and a promising young S like Tremaine Edmunds would certainly beat having Foster play like All-Pro but then flaming out for being a violent felon.

All 3 ? Dang... Yeah now I remember cause Tremaine went to VT and it looked like my 9ers was gonna draft him but we went the the trouble maker Reuben Foster that we just cut from yet another supposed assault charge.

Yeah, I said 9ers.... Shush it lol

I'm confused, they weren't taken in same draft, Foster in 2017 while Edmund's was 2018

I'm confused, they weren't taken in same draft, Foster in 2017 while Edmund's was 2018
Your right Gunz, we drafted OL Mike McGlinchey from my fav college team, Fighting Irish in 18... You are correct, separate drafts. I was actually real happy in 17 when we got Foster, I watched his highlight reel and my jaw dropped. I seen nothing of that caliper last year or this year. Also been having nagging shoulder problems from college and hamstring issues all year... Wish it would have panned out..#NextManUp

Last edited:
All fantastic players and all were 3 stats or more. James Mitchell wasn't an All American but he was close as he got some looks with the Army All American Bowl Game. I don't think he played in it though. What people have to keep in mind is that PJ is a sophomore. Cam is a senior and James Mitchell and Graves are in college right now. No way to compare PJ with these studs right now, but one can speculate what PJs ceiling is by his senior year. I think he ends up a 4 star or above type player and in contention as an All American in the secondary. Just like Cam Allen, he's not playing offense at the next level even though he plays both ways in High School and is super offensively, he's a defensive recruiting for the college level and at the cornerback position and the ability to cover, he's going to be special. Is he an All American now? Not close. Is he ready for FBS right now? Not close. But, by his senior year which is about two years from now, he will be and he will have major offers

I only saw 1 game and I'm not taking anything away from PJ but I have seen Graves since he was 8 years old. He didn't look any faster than Graves in fact a fellow sophomore diving at the goal line almost caught him. Booker came from a long way to catch up to him . His size is nothing like Graves. Graves is 6'2" runs under 4.5 and he was a 3 star. He did not even get noticed until he went to the Under Armour game after his junior year. For what it is worth Graves played this year as a true college freshman at NC State. PJ looks good and his dad was a great player. I like the way he runs hard but I wouldn't say he is a shoe in All-American and 4 star recruit. Personally my wish is stay a 3 star and be a Hokie sounds great to me. That way no other big schools we look at him. LOL

Last edited:
Speaking of kids going to the Under Armor games, the freshman QB of Appo went last year when he was 14. It was for Defensive End position I do believe when he was in 8th grade ball... I do believe this was only his second year to ever play the QB position. I believe his first year as QB was 8th grade.. I think he skipped JV all together. Im hoping Tre Lawing works on his passing game during the whole off season and gets some speedy WR's come up from JV. Tre was 6'1 181 lbs. as a 14 yr old freshman. He turned 15 about the 7th game of this season. Really looking to see how much better he can get, 6'1 at 15, he might be 6'5 as a senior with a lot more muscle weight. It will be interesting to watch this young Raider/Raiders and Radford team grow. #PO1

Your right Gunz, we drafted OL Mike McGlinchey from my fav college team, Fighting Irish in 18... You are correct, separate drafts. I was actually real happy in 17 when we got Foster, I watched his highlight reel and my jaw dropped. I seen nothing of that caliper last year or this year. Also been having nagging shoulder problems from college and hamstring issues all year... Wish it would have panned out..#NextManUp

We needed OL help so McGlintchy was a good pick, as long as it wasn't another dang PAC12 DL lol

We needed OL help so McGlintchy was a good pick, as long as it wasn't another dang PAC12 DL lol
Well BigWinners its good to see I have a fellow Faithful fan on here. 494 Life. My hopes was much higher for us this year. Then the downward spiral started. McKinnon, OUT. Jimmy G, OUT. And yes, all that talent on DL and only one really producing is Buckner. (Sad) Should have let Jimmy Ward go, he get beat all the time. I hope Witherspoon get better but he be getting beat a lot too. I say we grab best available Safety in draft since we went to the 4-3. I hear the guy from LSU is best in secondary. Idk, didnt watch Texas A&M game until 3rd OT-7TH OT. Hope Jimmy G comes back healthier than ever and stops throwing them INTs. Also McKinnon is ready to go. Sucks Foster didnt pan out. Last but not leas I was pleased with McGlintchy. We surely need OL help and still do...Anyways. #Go9ers

Well BigWinners its good to see I have a fellow Faithful fan on here. 494 Life. My hopes was much higher for us this year. Then the downward spiral started. McKinnon, OUT. Jimmy G, OUT. And yes, all that talent on DL and only one really producing is Buckner. (Sad) Should have let Jimmy Ward go, he get beat all the time. I hope Witherspoon get better but he be getting beat a lot too. I say we grab best available Safety in draft since we went to the 4-3. I hear the guy from LSU is best in secondary. Idk, didnt watch Texas A&M game until 3rd OT-7TH OT. Hope Jimmy G comes back healthier than ever and stops throwing them INTs. Also McKinnon is ready to go. Sucks Foster didnt pan out. Last but not leas I was pleased with McGlintchy. We surely need OL help and still do...Anyways. #Go9ers

We have to go corner, and it should be Greedy Williams (LSU) or DeAndre Baker (UGA). Both are graded as top ten picks.
if Jimmy G doesn't go down, I could see 7-8 wins. Still lacking talent in several spots, most notably DB, LB, and WR, but I hope Lynch turns out to be a decent GM.
I really believe in Kyle Shanahan, I think he's a fantastic coach. He just has very little talent to work with.
I hope they snag a CB early, then go after a couple WRs, a FS and some LBs in the draft or free agency. But we won't derail this thread with our Niner optimism lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT