ADVERTISEMENT

How does Liberty University's move to FBS affect LCA?

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
Liberty was just granted to be able to move from Division 1 FCS to FBS Independent. They will be bowl eligible in 2019. You have to think that this will help out LCA right? Could be a trend where we see a lot of potential LU recruits come in.

Liberty was just granted to be able to move from Division 1 FCS to FBS Independent. They will be bowl eligible in 2019. You have to think that this will help out LCA right? Could be a trend where we see a lot of potential LU recruits come in.
Hope not and the rules say otherwise but we will see

Not really seeing how this could LCA at all....

Only is as much as parents may want to be associated with a surrogate school from a big time college.

This may assist with attracting students to LCA. This is not recruiting, per se, just a side benefit of elevating the status of LU.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I don't see LCA doing much in any sport once the re-classed grandfathered athletes roll through the system. There really isn't anything to draw them in anymore without recruiting and scholarships to LU.

LU is going to have a tough time in FBS...

Only is as much as parents may want to be associated with a surrogate school from a big time college.

This may assist with attracting students to LCA. This is not recruiting, per se, just a side benefit of elevating the status of LU.
I don't think this will change anything really. LU in FCS is 8-3 at best every year, I think they will struggle for a long time moving up to FBS. LU has the facilities, but it will take awhile to get that level athletes, and get in a conference imo.

Similarly, I think LCA is going to struggle in the Seminole and 3/4A schedules every week. The scholarship was the big attraction. They'll be competitive in alot of other sports, but football will be tough.

See I look at it this way.. #1, LCA is a school where kids don't have to be pounded in the heads with SOL Tests and the other baggage that, sadly, our public schools present to students. They have a college prep curriculum that's gonna get kids prepared for college. I went to private school and I could not have gotten into a 4 year institute without going to private school. SAT prep and ACT prep are the only thing that's beat into the student's head, not some bias standardized test. Secondly these kids will be exposed to a major football school regardless if the rules change of Liberty U not being able to promise LCA students scholarships. Best believe the kids will come and Liberty will offer. FBS is big time. Doesn't matter if it's Independent or MAC, doesn't matter. Liberty has gorgeous state of the art facilities, on site recruitment and resources for days. If Liberty U wanted to they could give LCA Williams Stadium and build a 50-60k seat stadium if they wanted to. Liberty is becoming more and more appealing to in state recruits. They play Tech, every game is shown on ESPN 3, and the fact that they are moving up to FBS. Believe me, these young guns love LU. I had a cousin to play for 4 years at LU and friends to go there. The young ladies are beautiful (hey I'm just thinking like a 17/18 year old young man ;)) and the connections/networking are second to none. I think we will start seeing a trend of big time players out of the state of Virginia sign with Liberty. With them being an Independent they can play whoever they please during the regular season and it was "Falwell's dream" to play Notre Dame one day in football and his dream will more than likely come true soon. Regardless of a person's beliefs, Liberty is probably top 3 best Universities to go to in the state of Virginia. If I'm a parent and my child can go to LCA and be exposed to these facilities, these college prep courses, the opportunity to play at a FBS school that happens to be in my backyard, LITERALLY, and a chance to go to a private school and still compete at the public level??? I'm signing my son/daughter up right now!! LCA knew what they were doing when they signed up for public school ball. IMO, it's going to become reality for teams like Amherst, Glass, Heritage, JF, Gretna, Altavista, and the surrounding area to lose their top players to LCA. The exposure is second to none. I have a gut feeling that they will be the IMG Academy of public school ball.

See I look at it this way.. #1, LCA is a school where kids don't have to be pounded in the heads with SOL Tests and the other baggage that, sadly, our public schools present to students. They have a college prep curriculum that's gonna get kids prepared for college. I went to private school and I could not have gotten into a 4 year institute without going to private school. SAT prep and ACT prep are the only thing that's beat into the student's head, not some bias standardized test. Secondly these kids will be exposed to a major football school regardless if the rules change of Liberty U not being able to promise LCA students scholarships. Best believe the kids will come and Liberty will offer. FBS is big time. Doesn't matter if it's Independent or MAC, doesn't matter. Liberty has gorgeous state of the art facilities, on site recruitment and resources for days. If Liberty U wanted to they could give LCA Williams Stadium and build a 50-60k seat stadium if they wanted to. Liberty is becoming more and more appealing to in state recruits. They play Tech, every game is shown on ESPN 3, and the fact that they are moving up to FBS. Believe me, these young guns love LU. I had a cousin to play for 4 years at LU and friends to go there. The young ladies are beautiful (hey I'm just thinking like a 17/18 year old young man ;)) and the connections/networking are second to none. I think we will start seeing a trend of big time players out of the state of Virginia sign with Liberty. With them being an Independent they can play whoever they please during the regular season and it was "Falwell's dream" to play Notre Dame one day in football and his dream will more than likely come true soon. Regardless of a person's beliefs, Liberty is probably top 3 best Universities to go to in the state of Virginia. If I'm a parent and my child can go to LCA and be exposed to these facilities, these college prep courses, the opportunity to play at a FBS school that happens to be in my backyard, LITERALLY, and a chance to go to a private school and still compete at the public level??? I'm signing my son/daughter up right now!! LCA knew what they were doing when they signed up for public school ball. IMO, it's going to become reality for teams like Amherst, Glass, Heritage, JF, Gretna, Altavista, and the surrounding area to lose their top players to LCA. The exposure is second to none. I have a gut feeling that they will be the IMG Academy of public school ball.

You are way, WAY overstating the attractions of LU here. Did LU suddenly morph into some magical hybrid of Harvard, Notre Dame and Stanford, and it went unreported?! I understand this is all your opinion, but - come on. "Liberty is probably top 3 best Universities to go to in the state of Virginia". Sorry - gotta call massive BS there. Most rankings of Virginia schools barely even have LU in the top three in the city of Lynchburg, behind Lynchburg College and Randolph, let alone top three in the state.

LU's "unique" world view does undeniably appeal to some people. However, basing a curriculum on alternative facts like people hanging out with dinosaurs, and the world beginning only 6,000 years ago isn't going to get one's institution ranked anywhere near the top 500 in the US. Nor will it garner much respect for said institution outside of its narrow target audience. Let's get real here.

I told you guys 5 years ago, this was the LU plan. FBS. This is the Falwell plan. National championship. Athletes for Christ. That's the goal.

Do not think for a second that LCA will be any different. They will get the best training, have the best facilities, Get the best Coaching and find the ways to get the best players from around the Country. They will remain within VHSL rules but they remain a private school. They can and will recruit.

LU is the worst University in America. There is not an Institution that goes through the yearly scrutiny or redicule of this one. No one has to fight on a yearly basis to retain their certifications like LU.

They teach crap. They teach lies. They remain in existence only because they pull out the freedom of religion card. They are brainwash central. But I believe in the Constitution. It is everyone's right to be a moron and I'm sorry, if you are an LU supporter, you are a moron.

I told you guys 5 years ago, this was the LU plan. FBS. This is the Falwell plan. National championship. Athletes for Christ. That's the goal.

Do not think for a second that LCA will be any different. They will get the best training, have the best facilities, Get the best Coaching and find the ways to get the best players from around the Country. They will remain within VHSL rules but they remain a private school. They can and will recruit.

LCA really doesn't benefit from LU's facilities except for playing on the LU field on game day. They have their own practice fields, weight room, gym and truthfully they aren't impressive at all. Nothing that would ever draw an athlete away from neighboring schools anymore. The coaching is good in some sports, football being one of them, but nobody is rushing from neighboring schools anymore without the promise of scholarship or 5th year eligibility which is gone now. In fact there have been more than a few LCA players who have left and gone back to their home district schools.

Without the old advantages the only draw is a Christian education, but no athletic advantage any more. I predict they won't stick around in 4A much longer....

For years I have not understood why FCS programs want to jump to FBS. I realize that there is the possibility of TV money. But why would you want to go be a 3rd tier FBS team when you can be a dominant FCS program. Marshall and Appalachian State are perfect examples. They had it made in FCS and now they are average at best in FBS. Who would you rather be: North Dakota State or Marshall

JMU is a great example. What an incredible experience they got this year. Player and fans alike. Will they get that same joy if the go FBS and get to play in the Motor City Bowl every 4 years?

Here is why I think this is a foolish move by Liberty. Who are you going to play as an independent? You won't have any trouble finding 5 rod games b/c plenty of people will host you. But what FBS team is coming to Lynchburg? You have to have 5 home games to play FBS. They have enough $$ to buy games for a couple years but eventually that will end. They will struggle to find a conference because of the lack of a legitimate TV market.

So to summarize, I think that Liberty, LCA, Thomas Road, and Mr Falwell would be a lot better off if they stayed I-AA and tried to hoist a national title trophy every 3-4 years. Be great where you are before you aspire to be great somewhere else. Just my two cents.

For years I have not understood why FCS programs want to jump to FBS. I realize that there is the possibility of TV money. But why would you want to go be a 3rd tier FBS team when you can be a dominant FCS program. Marshall and Appalachian State are perfect examples. They had it made in FCS and now they are average at best in FBS. Who would you rather be: North Dakota State or Marshall

JMU is a great example. What an incredible experience they got this year. Player and fans alike. Will they get that same joy if the go FBS and get to play in the Motor City Bowl every 4 years?

Here is why I think this is a foolish move by Liberty. Who are you going to play as an independent? You won't have any trouble finding 5 rod games b/c plenty of people will host you. But what FBS team is coming to Lynchburg? You have to have 5 home games to play FBS. They have enough $$ to buy games for a couple years but eventually that will end. They will struggle to find a conference because of the lack of a legitimate TV market.

So to summarize, I think that Liberty, LCA, Thomas Road, and Mr Falwell would be a lot better off if they stayed I-AA and tried to hoist a national title trophy every 3-4 years. Be great where you are before you aspire to be great somewhere else. Just my two cents.

I agree 100%, except they really hadn't ever made a legitimate run at the FCS trophy yet....

If they want an example, look at what happened to LCA when they changed to playing in the 4A. For years they dominated their own division but fell far short when they tried to play with 4A schools. Now they will enjoy the bottom of the pack and it will only get harder for them when the re-classed and recruited athletes trickle out of the system...

LU is the worst University in America. There is not an Institution that goes through the yearly scrutiny or redicule of this one. No one has to fight on a yearly basis to retain their certifications like LU.

They teach crap. They teach lies. They remain in existence only because they pull out the freedom of religion card. They are brainwash central. But I believe in the Constitution. It is everyone's right to be a moron and I'm sorry, if you are an LU supporter, you are a moron.
I'm totally fine being a moron. No hard feelings there. However people can talk until they are Blue in the face but Liberty is a top notch institution whereas (like it or not), they are going to continue to get better and better. What do you hear negative come from that place? Na uh, nothing. Regardless of your beliefs, they teach principles and morals, accountability, and how to become a better person. Did I mention the resources and the state of the art facilities???? Brain wash central? Shaunticlair do some research before you speak. Actually know what you're talking about. You don't have a clue big fella! Get some culture in your life. Nah, there are some things that this institution does that's not the best, but their good outweighs the bad.

You are way, WAY overstating the attractions of LU here. Did LU suddenly morph into some magical hybrid of Harvard, Notre Dame and Stanford, and it went unreported?! I understand this is all your opinion, but - come on. "Liberty is probably top 3 best Universities to go to in the state of Virginia". Sorry - gotta call massive BS there. Most rankings of Virginia schools barely even have LU in the top three in the city of Lynchburg, behind Lynchburg College and Randolph, let alone top three in the state.

LU's "unique" world view does undeniably appeal to some people. However, basing a curriculum on alternative facts like people hanging out with dinosaurs, and the world beginning only 6,000 years ago isn't going to get one's institution ranked anywhere near the top 500 in the US. Nor will it garner much respect for said institution outside of its narrow target audience. Let's get real here.
I mean of course in this liberal society a school like LU would be ranked down, let's be real. Those rankings are bs and bias. My man, look at the facilities, look at the opportunity.. Like I said, Liberty networking is second to none. You have kids from all backgrounds go to this school and love it, I know I've been there in the mix many times. They don't brain wash you no more than any other school will. I go to the most liberal school in the state of Virginia (probably top 20 in America), so if they can teach that there is no higher being and Dave and John can marry, why can't Liberty say they can't and so on and so forth???? Like it or not, with the resources Liberty has they will do big things. I'm no Liberty supporter but I'm definitely not a hater either. Can't hate on progress. Liberty wins what 6-7 games a year and didn't qualify for the FCS playoffs. Now in FBS all they need is 6 wins to play in the Little Caesars or Popeyes Bowl. More and more REVENUE.. I say very smart move LU. Look at ODU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7time
I'm totally fine being a moron. No hard feelings there. However people can talk until they are Blue in the face but Liberty is a top notch institution whereas (like it or not), they are going to continue to get better and better. What do you hear negative come from that place? Na uh, nothing. Regardless of your beliefs, they teach principles and morals, accountability, and how to become a better person. Did I mention the resources and the state of the art facilities???? Brain wash central? Shaunticlair do some research before you speak. Actually know what you're talking about. You don't have a clue big fella! Get some culture in your life. Nah, there are some things that this institution does that's not the best, but their good outweighs the bad.
We disagree. I have been there many times And do know what I am talking about.

Don't even go there about culture. I had more than most before I ever left HS. I am on my 4th passport because my others no longer had room for the stamps of all the countries I've been to.

There is almost nothing good about LU. It's all PT Barnum and all for profit. They prey on the stupid. Same as the 700 Club. Sorry you're part of that. But I do have an older car in the driveway that needs an oil change. Send me $20 towards that and God will put his blessings upon you. Trust me.

We disagree. I have been there many times And do know what I am talking about.

Don't even go there about culture. I had more than most before I ever left HS. I am on my 4th passport because my others no longer had room for the stamps of all the countries I've been to.

There is almost nothing good about LU. It's all PT Barnum and all for profit. They prey on the stupid. Same as the 700 Club. Sorry you're part of that. But I do have an older car in the driveway that needs an oil change. Send me $20 towards that and God will put his blessings upon you. Trust me.
That's what's up Shaunticlair! I'm sure you have just like when you played for the Richmond Braves and Woody Hayes offering you a scholarship and you coaching college softball. I'm not here for the subtle jabs but I thought we could have a nice discussion which I've enjoyed so far. I've never said I agree with everything Liberty does, however I will say that the good outweighs the bad. I'm no religious person. I believe and I love the Lord and I am able to see the outreach of what Liberty and LCA is doing regardless of the negative connotations. Like I said, they teach MORALS, PRINCIPLES, INTEGRITY, LOVE, COMPASSION, ACCOUNTABILITY. Liberty was the first school I got into. Didn't go because I was ignorant. Couldn't have girls in your room because there are rules, you have to go to convocation because that's what's expected (believe me, you're not forced to go). They hold their students accountable. What's wrong with that?

Lots of emotion and hyperbole on both sides of this discussion and everyone will be better served if they try and focus on the facts and not let religion, politics, etc. lead to an emotional response.

The LU machine was struggling and on life support until they got the life insurance proceeds from Jerry Sr.'s death that allowed them to curtail their debt and get out of the upside/down financial situation they were in. With a little breathing room from a financial flexibility standpoint they did some very smart things. First and foremost they created an online program that has has essentially been the financial driver for everything going forward and for a number of years they were essentially printing money from that program to pour into the growth of the university infrastructure. They supplemented the online revenue with increased fundraising efforts directed at wealthy donors. Much easier to get a donation for a name on bricks/mortar than to retire debt or supplement operating expenses. LU is a driving economic force in the Central Virginia region with this growth, however, the depth and breadth of their reach nationally and internationally compared to other universities , while growing, is not anywhere near as substantial as its most vocal supporters contend. More importantly, changes in the edcuation model, federal support and the workforce demands of the marketplace raise doubts as to whether the current revenue generators will be able to grow or even sustain present levels. Shifts could mean a lot of buildings but, a much smaller number willing to come and fill that complex.

The FBS move fits the LU desire to be the "protestant Notre Dame" but, the Gipper and all the ghosts of Heisman winners past are not coming to Central Virginia any time soon. They were never more than marginally competitive at the FCS level and they might be marginally competitive at the FBS level over time. However, there are a lot of factors related to the FBS model now in flux and in addition to the normal challenges of a jump to a higher division they have absolutely no idea how the landscape may shift beyond their control. This even before addressing the scheduling, operating and economic realities of trying to go down that road as an independent in an arena dominated by the Power 5 conferences and controlled behind the scenes by an even smaller number of power schools. They do have some decent and some outstanding facilities but, they are no where close in terms of behind the scenes infrastructure and support personnel from an athletic standpoint and they did not improve their bench with the recent AD hire. They have a unique university with some interesting programs that appeals to a certain section of the population but, the challenges of that model to operating a secular D-1 athletic program have not come in to full focus yet. It is easy to keep the New Advance at bay as an FCS school but, the big boy media will be examining your laundry as an FBS member. They also have some famous alums and a growing network but, to assert they have contacts "second to none" is highly questionable at local, state and national levels. Just within the state of Virginia people from Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Lexington, Richmond, Fairfax and Williamsburg are having a hearty chuckle at that assertion and, as already pointed out, there are several institutions locally that might debate that contention as well.

The LU move to FBS will be a lot like the LCA move to the VHSL. It will be accompanied by a lot of PR and whistleblowing but, once the dust settles and the reality of actually operating and competing in that environment becomes a reality it will be a be a long, hard climb to anything remotely approaching perennial power status and the much more likely landing spot is a middle of the road also ran.

Lots of emotion and hyperbole on both sides of this discussion and everyone will be better served if they try and focus on the facts and not let religion, politics, etc. lead to an emotional response.

The LU machine was struggling and on life support until they got the life insurance proceeds from Jerry Sr.'s death that allowed them to curtail their debt and get out of the upside/down financial situation they were in. With a little breathing room from a financial flexibility standpoint they did some very smart things. First and foremost they created an online program that has has essentially been the financial driver for everything going forward and for a number of years they were essentially printing money from that program to pour into the growth of the university infrastructure. They supplemented the online revenue with increased fundraising efforts directed at wealthy donors. Much easier to get a donation for a name on bricks/mortar than to retire debt or supplement operating expenses. LU is a driving economic force in the Central Virginia region with this growth, however, the depth and breadth of their reach nationally and internationally compared to other universities , while growing, is not anywhere near as substantial as its most vocal supporters contend. More importantly, changes in the edcuation model, federal support and the workforce demands of the marketplace raise doubts as to whether the current revenue generators will be able to grow or even sustain present levels. Shifts could mean a lot of buildings but, a much smaller number willing to come and fill that complex.

The FBS move fits the LU desire to be the "protestant Notre Dame" but, the Gipper and all the ghosts of Heisman winners past are not coming to Central Virginia any time soon. They were never more than marginally competitive at the FCS level and they might be marginally competitive at the FBS level over time. However, there are a lot of factors related to the FBS model now in flux and in addition to the normal challenges of a jump to a higher division they have absolutely no idea how the landscape may shift beyond their control. This even before addressing the scheduling, operating and economic realities of trying to go down that road as an independent in an arena dominated by the Power 5 conferences and controlled behind the scenes by an even smaller number of power schools. They do have some decent and some outstanding facilities but, they are no where close in terms of behind the scenes infrastructure and support personnel from an athletic standpoint and they did not improve their bench with the recent AD hire. They have a unique university with some interesting programs that appeals to a certain section of the population but, the challenges of that model to operating a secular D-1 athletic program have not come in to full focus yet. It is easy to keep the New Advance at bay as an FCS school but, the big boy media will be examining your laundry as an FBS member. They also have some famous alums and a growing network but, to assert they have contacts "second to none" is highly questionable at local, state and national levels. Just within the state of Virginia people from Charlottesville, Blacksburg, Lexington, Richmond, Fairfax and Williamsburg are having a hearty chuckle at that assertion and, as already pointed out, there are several institutions locally that might debate that contention as well.

The LU move to FBS will be a lot like the LCA move to the VHSL. It will be accompanied by a lot of PR and whistleblowing but, once the dust settles and the reality of actually operating and competing in that environment becomes a reality it will be a be a long, hard climb to anything remotely approaching perennial power status and the much more likely landing spot is a middle of the road also ran.

Extremely well articulated there, cut.

But yet BYU teaches we will one day rule planets and they have experienced some considerable success in FBS. Guessing religion and football can mix. Wish them well.

Last edited:
Nice video Danville. I visited the campus last weekend and the facilities are extremely nice. Beautiful campus, tons of things to do and safe as Fort Knox. Tons of construction going on and Liberty has virtually taken over the southeast side of Lynchburg.

That being said, I would disagree about big name recruits heading to Liberty in the near future. In today's "look at me" society (Facebook, Twitter) the top athletes will continue to flock to the big name schools. One can deny or dislike the fact that very few stud athletes (football and basketball) base their decisions on facilities or even education, but reality says otherwise. Tradition, hype, big stages and the NFL dream will rule supreme in most cases.

Liberty will benefit by getting a few more "three star" athletes; however, I would say their recruiting success will be similar to Old Dominions. I just don't see many four and five star athletes desiring to adhere to the strict regimental guidelines imposed at Liberty.

Personally, I like structure, family atmosphere, and yes, the positive influence Christianity has on Liberty U's students. Unfortunately in todays world, religion has taken a back seat to greed, power and the media. You can agree or disagree, but Notre Dame is a perfect example. Do you think their business decisions are based on the Catholic religion. Heck no! They joined the ACC, but kept their independent status in football for a reason. money, money, money..... I am not agreeing with Shanti regarding Liberty's dream, but they will use athletics to benefit their future endeavors as an institution for Christianity. I am very comfortable with this and would encourage any young athlete to consider the opportunities the Flames offer; however, unless something drastically changes it ain't happening.

Will LCA benefit? Time will tell, but without financial assistance a majority of families cannot afford the private school life. My daughter attended private school for nine years and it was tough on us financially. Will the "Country Club sports benefit? Absolutely, but if LCA follows the VHSL guidelines I don't see football and basketball being a major player any time soon.

LCA JV Baseball had a very low turnout this year for tryouts. They kept everyone and only have a 13 man roster. I'm sure all the other sports there are dropping too.

I'm no Liberty supporter but I'm definitely not a hater either. Can't hate on progress. Liberty wins what 6-7 games a year and didn't qualify for the FCS playoffs. Now in FBS all they need is 6 wins to play in the Little Caesars or Popeyes Bowl. More and more REVENUE.. I say very smart move LU. Look at ODU.[/QUOTE]

I was just reading over this as an outsider. I have been to Liberty a few times as a spectator for a VHSL state basketball championship game and for a few camps.
Liberty should be the host of the state basketball championships because the Vines Center is second to none and Lynchburg is pretty much the center of everything and everyone when it comes to the state of Virginia. Lets just be honest. The Siegel Center and VCU, while a great facility and university, is just not the ideal place to host high school athletics. The people are rude and it is like having Homeland Security do a door check for a basketball game. The worst decision that the VHSL ever made was moving the state championships to Richmond. When they were at Liberty, they did it right. The people were great and the atmosphere was always electric in the circular close to the floor Vines Center.
I do not know anyone who has attended Liberty as a student nor do I know their quality of education. I do know that BYU is a Mormon based school and requires their students who attend and play sports to do a mission trip whether they are of the faith or not. The Mormon faith is just as strict and more disciplinary or even more than what Liberty is by what I have seen. What has anyone said about them on here? Im pretty sure everyone who attends Liberty is not your perfect innocent young person of the age of 17-23 who has not done anything wrong. If that is what you think then it is you who has been brainwashed by someone else and are the most naïve person on Earth.
Lynchburg has plenty of hotel space, restaurants, shopping. The only reason why the VHSL pulled out of Liberty as a host of any of their events is because Liberty stood up on their principles and values and morals. There is nothing wrong with that and actually makes me respect them much more because of it. Isnt that what we should be teaching our athletes anyway? Lessons of principles and values and character? Why wouldn't that make Liberty a great place to host? I don't agree with a lot of the issues and laws that the federal government has brought upon the country but that doesn't make me want to be a revolutionary and move out of the country.
A lot of the biggest universities in the state of Virginia are public and being public have to adhere to federal guidelines for a number of things. Yes Liberty may be faith based and have their own rules but the way they have grown over the years by still remaining who they are is pretty remarkable.
And I agree with the above..... the way that the NCAA waters down competition in football for their bowl system I would greatly support Liberty's move to the FBS. All you need are some great recruiters and a good program and a great culture to be established and you are on your way. I'm pretty sure if BYU (chartered October 16, 1875 - 142 years ago) and Notre Dame (chartered November 26, 1842 - 173 years ago) can do it, Liberty (chartered 1984 - 33 years ago) can most definitely do it. I mean, I say it does help if the other two schools has a 110 - 140 year jump on the competition. Just saying.

Last edited:
Well, as a Liberty alum, I'd like to chime in here. First off, it is a great school with a moral center. Shaun, you have no idea what you're talking about and you think you do because "you've been there several times?" Good try buddy, but you have no idea. You're just giving them crap because it's a Christian institution that tries to better their students and help out the community....that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't say that you know all about it because you have no idea (also, just because you've been to several countries, doesn't make you cultured either...again, nice try). Secondly, big time recruits in VA will not flock to LU because they don't recruit the area or state. In the past several years, they have had maybe 3 VA signees. There needs to be a change in the coaching staff there as well as the new higher-ups in the athletic department. The move to FBS was an incredibly dumb move as they will get absolutely hammered at the FBS level. All of the other teams who have moved up either won national championships, played for national championships or had great success in the playoffs at the FCS/I-AA level. Liberty has one playoff appearance in 46 years of existence. That is not the kind of success that will translate well to the next level. You also can't compare LU and ODU. ODU has one of the best built-in recruiting bases in the entire country, the 757. They also are successful in getting a lot of those kids to stay home and play at ODU. LU does not have a recruiting base like that and even if they did, they probably wouldn't utilize it.

Will LU be independent for football only like Notre Dame or will they be independent for all sports?

Hey guys, this has been one of the best threads in a long while. Great job. And a special thanks to the guys that have lent their opinion, that are not normally heard from. Your input is appreciated.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Will LU be independent for football only like Notre Dame or will they be independent for all sports?
Just independent for football. Their basketball program is on the upswing. They almost gave my VCU Rams an L at the Vines Center this year and I was very impressed with their fan base and team! Heck, their basketball team is the only VA team that is still playing in a post season tournament right now! This could be a move to go on to bigger things such as Conference USA, MAC or even the AAC. Falwell has my respect!

Last edited:
Hey guys, this has been one of the best threads in a long while. Great job. And a special thanks to the guys that have lent their opinion, that are not normally heard from. Your input is appreciated.
DP, you're 100% correct my friend! You guys are great! I go back and forth between this forum and the NC Preps forum and we have way more informative and way more mature conversations by far! Keep up the good work!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Well, as a Liberty alum, I'd like to chime in here. First off, it is a great school with a moral center. Shaun, you have no idea what you're talking about and you think you do because "you've been there several times?" Good try buddy, but you have no idea. You're just giving them crap because it's a Christian institution that tries to better their students and help out the community....that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't say that you know all about it because you have no idea (also, just because you've been to several countries, doesn't make you cultured either...again, nice try). Secondly, big time recruits in VA will not flock to LU because they don't recruit the area or state. In the past several years, they have had maybe 3 VA signees. There needs to be a change in the coaching staff there as well as the new higher-ups in the athletic department. The move to FBS was an incredibly dumb move as they will get absolutely hammered at the FBS level. All of the other teams who have moved up either won national championships, played for national championships or had great success in the playoffs at the FCS/I-AA level. Liberty has one playoff appearance in 46 years of existence. That is not the kind of success that will translate well to the next level. You also can't compare LU and ODU. ODU has one of the best built-in recruiting bases in the entire country, the 757. They also are successful in getting a lot of those kids to stay home and play at ODU. LU does not have a recruiting base like that and even if they did, they probably wouldn't utilize it.
Pantherboss thanks for the insider prospective! Been to LU numerous times and I must say that your alma mater is a place of beauty and class! I'm rooting for Liberty to succeed at the big level! I like what you guys stand for and what Liberty is doing/has done!

Been there A few times would be inaccurate. Dozens is more appropriate. A few Countries is also inaccurate. Well over 100 is far closer. My vacation last year was two weeks in Patagonia with my sons. In the Fall, it will be a month in New Zealnd.

I have no issue with LU's Athletic facilities. They are very good. It's the classrooms that are poor. The student Union is a joke. The Campus is drole, at best. Many of the newer buildings are nothing more than monuments to Jerry Falwell. LU is nothing compared to a UVA or VT for overall facilities.

Kids go to ODU because they're better than LU. I do not doubt there are those that stay in their local areas. Understandable. But, as a rule of thumb, LU simply doesn't measure up and will remain hard pressed to come up with the level of recruit they need to be competitive at an FBS level.

What impact this will have on LCA just has to stay in wait and see mode.

Last edited:
I'd go to school and play there in a heart beat!!

[
Playing sports there is fine. Wanting to go to school there is something completely different. Notice how the video is almost 100% sports related. 2 of my son's were recruited there. Sports facilities were great. Neither wanted to go to school there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT