ADVERTISEMENT

How would the top 1A teams match up with the top 2A ones this season?

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Hypothetically speaking, just to pass the time until Friday's big games, how do y'all think our top 1A teams would fare against the top dogs of 2A this season?

Would Altavista and Essex have a good shot at taking down Giles and Riverheads? I have not seen the more western teams this season but have read about them and they look strong indeed (so rely on other's opinions). However, I would think that it could be some great matchups and it might be a toss up on who would win. Also, considering Riverheads is dropping down to 1A soon, it is a fair & fun question to consider.

Many out west may not have seen Essex, but may have seen the other three. I'd like to see Altavista vs. Giles for example, especially since Gretna is having a down year. What do y'all Gretna fans think on that one? Many have said that Altavista may be the best of the old Group A teams this season.

Thoughts? also, feel free to add PM, Honaker, Haysi, W&L, etc. into the mix as well as 2As Clarke, Gate City, Nottoway, etc.

This post was edited on 11/6 5:52 PM by uvacavs1

Altavista can probably beat anyone.

I think Essex vs. either Giles, Wilson, or Riverheads would be interesting.

I don't think many 2A teams would want to have to match up with this year's Altavista squad in the postseason. I think they could hang with anybody in 2A.

I wish Parry McCluer hadn't dropped Riverheads to pick up Roanoke Catholic because we would be able to see how that one would pan out (and RC apparently hurt PM with power points, whereas riverheads would have given them more). I really think this year's PM team could give them a very competitive game. I would have loved to have seen a RHS/PM matchup for the past 2 years, especially with Dawson on the team, because some of the more recent PM/RHS games weren't competitive at all, when pm was in their down years.

Essex was apparently beating Goochland at halftime of their week 1 matchup but you really can't take a whole lot from week 1 in my opinion because good teams improve as the season goes on, so I'm sure they have both improved a lot since then and found their stride. Essex is another that could compete with the 2As.

Brunswick is the 2A runner up from last season and lost their first 3 games while they were not at full health, and playing some good teams (Lafayette, Liberty Christian, and William Campbell who is probably the weakest of the 3), and since then they have been winning, and barely pulled one off last week vs Surry. Some people think Brunswick could be back in Salem this year, and Surry only lost to them by one point.

Galax made it interesting against Giles, but ultimately lost to them and Glenvar, but they are another one who could provide a decent challenge against some of the good 2A schools.

mmqp has already made it known on this board how you can never count out those schools from down in coal-country so they could probably hold their own as well

I won't mention examples from all the teams, but Basically, I feel that if you took the top 10-12 schools from 1A and 2A and made them all play each other in the regular season (1A vs 2A), I don't think anybody would have an undefeated season, and I think those 1A schools would win a lot of games and be competitive in most of the losses, but I'm sure there is somebody on here who will think I'm full of it and out of my mind lol. All hypothetical though, as you said uvacavs1.

We'll take it what's it's worth Altavista beat galex 56-7 ... Galex lost to Giles by 7 . Supposedly Giles is the best in 2a ???

Head to head is the only way to really know....so we will never know...all speculation....Redskins beat Dallas two weeks back...just saying any given team on any given day.....GO GILES

In the west

Not very sure about the West. Honaker and Haysi haven't played that tough of a schedule. It's hard telling. I don't know anything about Galax or Radford but I know Galax about had Giles and Radford about has Glenvar. So I guess you can say yes and no.

Re: In the west

Not a big difference in the talent and skill or depth between 1A and 2A. Most of the top teams all have a handful of 2 way starters. The top 3-4 teams in each class would be close games I think. As you move on to 3A, you get more depth, speed and talent, and less 2 way starters. Essex last year pretty much had 3A James Monroe beat, and JM was a 3A final four. So it goes without saying that AltaVista could certainly beat the top 2A and 3A teams. But other than Essex and Vista, I don't see anyone else at the 1A level beating the top 2A or 3A teams

I would not argue with the assumption that Altavista is the best team in D1 and D2, however, there is little use for the discussion since the game will not happen. I felt Altavista was the best team last year.

Well Bluebomber we know that the games will not be played, but uvacavs1 started the thread with "Hypothetically speaking". So this is a thread about opinions of people as to what they think would happen IF the games were to be played. to be honest I and a few others are interested in reading about this topic. If you have "little use" for the topic then I suggest that you don't even read it. Sorry, not trying to be ugly just stating my opinion.
This post was edited on 11/7 1:57 PM by knightfball11

And u don't compare scores. Glenver beat Galax bad and Giles just destroyed Glenver

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT