ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS 71 Maury 28

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
This game was a lot closer than the score indicates.
24-21 halftime score. Then came the 2nd half. As I said in an earlier post. HSHS can run the ball!
We came out in the 2nd half and played smash mouth and dominated the line of scrimmage, let special team do their thing and there was nothing that Maury could do. Outscoring Maury 47-7 in the second half! HS scored on a kickoff return, a punt return and 2 iterception returns. There was a 3rd INT return that was returned to the 1 as time expired. It was nearly 77-28
The officiating in the game was atrocious! Without a doubt!
Stone Bridge, we're coming for you! Meet you in Hampton!

Reactions: PHS236 and CHUKNOW
24-21 halftime score. Then came the 2nd half. As I said in an earlier post. HSHS can run the ball!
We came out in the 2nd half and played smash mouth and dominated the line of scrimmage, let special team do their thing and there was nothing that Maury could do. Outscoring Maury 47-7 in the second half! HS scored on a kickoff return, a punt return and 2 iterception returns. There was a 3rd INT return that was returned to the 1 as time expired. It was nearly 77-28
I've never seen officiating like that, that ejection was the worst call I've ever seen. Ejecting a player for signaling fourth down is like ejecting a kid for waving his arms after an incomplete pass. Keep those officials away from Hampton next weekend.

Reactions: kpninerman
I've never seen officiating like that, that ejection was the worst call I've ever seen. Ejecting a player for signaling fourth down is like ejecting a kid for waving his arms after an incomplete pass. Keep those officials away from Hampton next weekend.
It should be 757 officials next week for both games.

I have seen a lot of games where officiating is bad but never to this degree. I hope White wins the appeal and plays next weekend. That kid is the most intense player I've ever seen, love the way he plays the game and he's got a good head on his shoulders. That is why when I saw he was ejected it took me by surprise.

I've said time and time again there is no better coach at halftime adjustments than Coach Johnson and he proved it again today.

Reactions: mbonape1
I have seen a lot of games where officiating is bad but never to this degree. I hope White wins the appeal and plays next weekend. That kid is the most intense player I've ever seen, love the way he plays the game and he's got a good head on his shoulders. That is why when I saw he was ejected it took me by surprise.

I've said time and time again there is no better coach at halftime adjustments than Coach Johnson and he proved it again today.
Never thought I’d see the day HSHS would Run the power-I. Old school smash mouth football. The change on D was pretty smart too! This is a very COMPLETE TEAM!

Springs tried to be a little cute at the start of the game but then LJ decided he was going to see if they could stop the run. The answer was an overwhelming “NO”. Maury gave a good effort but even when Springs has a ton of penalties they still have 4-5 player that can go yard anytime they touch the ball. If any of these player has a random 5 touches... 1 of them will more than likely end up going for a big play TD. The only way to beat springs is to just hope they can’t stop your run. Keep them off the field. It would need to be like when Oakton beat Landstown in the finals. Even if you have success in the passing game... like Maury did.... you are risking these athletes picking the ball off... or quick 3 and outs and having to punt to extremely good athletes and giving their offense the ball back. To try to out athlete Springs is not a good idea. Take your chances trying to slow the game down. Just my opinion but I think that is the only way

I was told that those officials were from SW Virginia and call games like that due to high gang activity out there. They were flagging for t-shirts out, knee pads put on wrong and hand signs that could all be deemed gang related. This guy that was sitting with us said... When HS's #12 Christian White held up 4 fingers signifying 4th down, He was hit with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejected!
Absolutely absurd! It will certainly be appealed! Otherwise he won't be able to play next week. Christian is our defensive captain and a fantastic kid!
That was the worst example of officiating I've EVER SEEN!

Last edited:
I was told that those officials were from SW Virginia and call games like that due to high gang activity out there. They were flagging for t-shirts out, knee pads put on wrong and hand signs that could all be deemed gang related. This guy that was sitting with us said... When HS's #12 Christian White held up 4 fingers signifying 4th qtr. He was hit with the unsportsmanlike penalty and ejected!
Absolutely absurd! It will certainly be appealed! Otherwise he won't be able to play next week. Christian is our defensive captain and a fantastic kid!
That was the worst example of officiating I've EVER SEEN!
From what I saw, #12 for HSHS made a big stop and held up his fist signaling 4th down. Unless he cursed out everybody on that sideline, I cant see how that was an ejectable offense.

Not once throughout the game did any of the officials pull players to the side and use it as a teaching moment and/or warning to tighten up. As an official you have to understand these are kids and pulling a Captain to the side seems like a great way to go about it.

Congrats to HS. No doubts from anyone pregame that I can tell. Still, credit deserved for making it happen without a letdown.

Just waiting for HooSprings to post the same exact sentence about switching to the Power-I for the 4th time in just this thread...

I agree !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT