ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley?

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
I was thinking about the top ten teams imo and thought again, who is this Hurley High School team that is now 5-0 I believe. I was hoping someone out there could discuss a bit about them for us as I do not know much at all. Is Hurley's style like old Haysi or Honaker?

No disrespect about being unfamiliar as I am from about as far East Virginia as you can get (besides the Eastern Shore). I am from the Northern Neck/Middle Peninsula. We are surrounded by beautiful rivers, farm fields, and history (George Washington, Robert E. Lee and some others were born in the Northern Neck.)

We still have a lot of folks who make a living off the water. Many people still go to Church on Sunday, then watch football. Lots of VT fans. We also sadly have a lot of poverty (high unemployment) round here.

I asked Siri about where in the world is Hurley, Va on the map and how far from Tappahannock, VA (the main town around here).

Wow, Hurley is like almost in Kentucky and West Va! 377 miles away about a 6 1/2 hour drive to the beautiful mountains! Dang, Mrytle Beach, South Carolina is about the exact same distance!

Hurly sounds like a cool place with lots of tradition and love for football out there. Heck, Riverheads is way out west to me and they look just about half way to Hurley.

Hurley looks like a small school, just a bit bigger than our tough little Colonial Beach. Saw an article that they play at the Cliff? sounds cool. I think I will pull for them as a Western team as they go for it? Like our friend Chilwar25 picked an East team to pull for.

Is Hurley good enough to beat a Galax or George Wythe or PM? Riverheads is the power (again, Western Va to me). Good luck to Hurley.

Last edited:
Hurley is not getting a lot of respect because their schedule has turned out to be a little weak, but I assure you they are the real deal. We have most likely the best Back in 1A in Brady Justice.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Hey uvacavs1, Glad to see someone from the East take notice of Hurley High School. To
Answer your question about Hurley, we really need Honestjohn to answer your questions;
He is a frequent poster and from Hurley.

I am from SWVA off I-81 in Chilhowie, and I am still over 2 hours from the small Buchanan
County Community. Hurley is a small coal mining comminity, full of good hard working
Folks who love their school, football, and their Hurley Rebels. Hurley is located near the
West VA- KENTUCKY lines. Grundy, Va is the county seat of Buchanan County. Like I said,
Coal mining is the main industry, along with the natural beauty of the mountains.

As for the unbeaten Hurley Rebels, They are the real deal. The have probably the best running
Back in A1West in Brady Justice. A fast bruiser that is about 6'1 215 lbs of muscles and guts.
He has a very good core of athletes around him, and a very good Head Coach in Greg Tester.
Last year, Hurley gave Galax a fit, before losing by only 2 TD's in the playoffs. I would not
Want to draw Hurley early in the playoffs this year. They are better this year than last year,
And I would not be surprised to see the Rebels in the West final four this year.

As for my East team I have followed for weeks now, it is the Essex Trojans. Best of luck to
The Hurley Rebels and the Essex Trojans, and thanks Uvacavs for noticing a small school
From SWVA.

Chilwar,I really appreciate all the good words about Hurley, we are really proud of our team and I am sure .you realize we usually don't have a lot to boast about here maybe every 15 years we have a good team, but nothing like this edition of the Rebels.

Honestjohn, you are certainly welcome! I tend to tell it like it is.......Hurley is for real,
And if anyone plays Hurley, they will know they been in a war!

I pull for the little guy: i.e. Hurley and the Bland Bears, just to name two teams in SWVA.
Speaking of Bland, BCBACKER, where are you at, my friend. Them Bears are still winning
And you went into hibernation, just like a Bear......Them Bears played RR tough, and RR
Played Galax tough......You just never know what to expect in HS ball.

Go Hurley Rebels!

I pull for all the Northern Neck/Middle Peninsula teams but my favorites are the NND's Northumberland, Essex, and Rappahannock.

The Northumberland Indians are also undefeated (4-0) and are having one of their better seasons in decades so far. If you ever get to drive into beautiful, rural Northumberland County, it will take you into God's Country that goes to the Chesapeake Bay.

Reedville in Northumberland is home to the big Menhaden Fishing Industry (Reedville is 418 miles from Hurley says Siri! Pretty cool on State map to look at both on their far points).

Reactions: Jdavis54
Chilwar25, if you like pulling for the little guy this would be the weekend for you where we live (upcoming Friday)

Essex takes on 3A powerhouse James Monroe (ranked in 3A top 5). JM is from the city of Fredericksburg and has been to 3A State Championship many times.

Northumberland takes on D2 Private school power Trinity Episcopal. Trinity is a school in Richmond and is the 2 time defending D2 state champs. I am pretty sure this will be their 1st meeting.

Tough games coming up!

Uvacavs, it has been several years, but the last time I was in that area, I was at a
Seminar in Rappahannock and ate a load of great fish. I could not get any work
Done for the fishing opportunities if I lived there. The thing about our great State of
Virginia, it Has just about everything for eveyone....from the Chesapeake Bay area
& VA Beach,To the mountains of beautiful SWVA. Mix in a little good High School
football, and We are all in Heaven!

Uvacavs, it has been several years, but the last time I was in that area, I was at a
Seminar in Rappahannock and ate a load of great fish. I could not get any work
Done for the fishing opportunities if I lived there. The thing about our great State of
Virginia, it Has just about everything for eveyone....from the Chesapeake Bay area
& VA Beach,To the mountains of beautiful SWVA. Mix in a little good High School
football, and We are all in Heaven!

I'll drink to that!

It's funny, when the come heres (what the city folks who move in and want to change local traditions are called) hire some guys, they get a little mad when the projects take longer during hunting and fishing seasons haha.

I have always said if I ever left river living, I'd want to move to the gorgeous mountain areas of Western Va. Everyone I've ever met out that way always seems so friendly.

Thanks Vhsl-helper for the pic of " The Cliff ", the field in Hurley. Hey uvacavs1, Now
you see why I would not want to draw Hurley in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Hurley is in coal mining country, and it looks like the field is literally dug out of the
Side of the Mountain of coal. There are a lot of tough, proud, God fearing people in
Hurley, Va. Welcome To The Cliff, Home of the Hurley Rebels !!

The Cliff looks bad a--! Love it! Yea, thanks for the image VHSL-helper.

Go Rebels!

Earn a real high seed for the playoffs so those other teams will have to travel to the Cliff - "there stands the Hurley Defense like a stone wall..."

Reactions: Chilwar25
There's more... at the Parry Mc playoff game last year, someone in a Rebel outfit rappelled down the cliff to the left of the goalpost..I was looking UP at Reb from the pressbox.. THAT'S bada--!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT