ADVERTISEMENT

I still somehow have Salem taking D5.............................

T

TBone

Sad to say, especially since I'm a big fan of Coach Jackson, but I knew Salem would slip, just not at this point of the season. The close wins when I expected blowouts, i.e. Kellam and Cox (Cox has to be for real, this isn't same ol' country club squad), opened my eyes, but I expected a sellout, 9-0 vs. 9-0 battle the last week of the season when Salem and O.Lakes were to clash. Reason I say I still have Salem taking D5 is because Coach Jack will work these boys in practice and get 'em focused again. Might finish the regular season 8-2 (starting to believe NO ONE will beat Ocean Lakes unless the opposition's defense can get its hands on those two QBs), but I got Salem still taking state, unless Herm can get over that hump! Thoughts guys?

Re: Forgot about Indian River............

New coach, new attitude, and a streak that's budding seems to put the Braves in the mix, too. Western Branch still looms IMO as the only team to give the squad problems until the regular season is over. Plus Indian River from what I'm reading appears to be aging a bit. If any coach knows 757 football from different angles, its Ferebee, and with the athletes that suit up at Indian River, I'd honestly call the Braves a darkhorse to definitely challenge for the D5 South crown at least.

Five teams from Richmond: Hermitage, Bird, Highland Springs, Atlee and Manchester may make things interesting for the the 757. Don't think Bird is going to roll over and give up their crown without a fight.

Salem is good, but they will have a tough game with Ocean Lakes at the end of the season. Richmond will win the 5a South title, Indian River while improved did lose to Hampton and Smith. Norview who is going to likely finish 9-1 and be the #1 seed unless Salem upsets OL lost to Lake Taylor 35-0 and did nothing offensively in that game. Based on how the brackets should play out down here in Tidewater
1. Norview
2. Salem/IR
3. Salem/IR
4. Hampton/GB
5. Hampton/GB
6. Green Run
7. Some .500 team
8. Some below .500 team

Norview will win 1st round game as will Salem and IR who will meet up in round 2. 4 or 5 seed will beat Norview because they are not ready for the big stage and so you have Hampton, Salem, and Indian River representing Tidewater in the 5a South final and honestly all of them are not as good as the top 5 teams in Richmond. This is a prime example of how Richmond screwed themselves in 5a because they were afraid of not having representation in states. 5a is not that great in Tidewater this year you could have had an all Richmond final 4 in 5a South, but short changed yourselves.

Can I get an Amen from the congregation! Devil you always tell it likke it is. Whether you like or not that is the cold hard truth.

Originally posted by BleedingNavy:
Five teams from Richmond: Hermitage, Bird, Highland Springs, Atlee and Manchester may make things interesting for the the 757. Don't think Bird is going to roll over and give up their crown without a fight.
Yep, that would have been the case had the AD's and Principals been able to figure out a way to pay for trips between Richmond and Tidewater.

Since they couldn't, only one of those teams will even get a shot at someone outside their area code.

For kicks using last week power ratings which will change with some loses this week the setup would have been:
1 Salem vs. 16 Prince George
8 Indian River vs. 9 Douglas Freeman
4 Bird vs. 13 Meadowbrook
5 Henrico vs. 12 Great Bridge

2 Highland Springs vs. 15 Mills Godwin
7 Atlee vs. 10 Hampton
3 Hermitage vs. 14 Matoaca
6 Norview vs. 11 Green Run

Only 2 teams from the Richmond area out of the 10 that qualified would have had to travel. Prince George could come right up 460 got smoked and season over and Douglas Freeman and IR were tied in power rating so Freeman might have been the home team depending on the tiebreaker. Again overreaction by the Principals because they are the decision makers.

If you look at top 8 seeds only
1 Salem vs. 8 Indian River
4 Bird vs. 5 Henrico
2 Highland Springs vs 7 Atlee
3 Hermitage vs. 6 Norview

Norview only team on the road, but under the setup now Norview will be the one seed in Tidewater unless upset. SMH

This post was edited on 10/12 9:52 AM by DEVILSLB99

As poorly as Salem played they got robbed and didnt deserve to lose. The two point conversion was illegal. It was run all the way. Several of the Landstown lineman were in the end zone (los was the 7) when the QB did a hookshot with 3 Salem kids taking him down to a waiting reciever. The refs blew it. I agree T-Bone. Dont right them off. I looked at my sons film and it was clear.It's only a penalty if the refs call it.

Honestly Salem shouldn't have never been in a position to be robbed. Anyway you spin it that was a bad loss, and I'm a big Salem supporter. I know Jack will have them prepared and ready to go the rest of the way, Reminds me of the Tallwood loss last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT