ADVERTISEMENT

Best Since 2013 Not To Win State Title

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 1.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Patrick Henry (Glade Spring) 69% Win Pct. with a record of 90-39
Narrows - 62% Win Pct. with a record of 74-45
Northumberland - 57% Win Pct. with a record of 66-48
West Point - 54% Win Pct. with a record of 64-54

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Honaker - 59% Win Pct. with a record of 73-50, 0-2 in State Finals
Brunswick - 52% Win Pct. with a record of 59-53, 0-1 in State Finals
Northampton - 36% Win Pct. with a record of 40-69, 0-1 in State Finals
Eastern Montgomery - 23% Win Pct. with a record of 26-84, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 1 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?

Reactions: offmylawn
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 1.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Patrick Henry (Glade Spring) 69% Win Pct. with a record of 90-39
Narrows - 62% Win Pct. with a record of 74-45
Northumberland - 57% Win Pct. with a record of 66-48
West Point - 54% Win Pct. with a record of 64-54

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Honaker - 59% Win Pct. with a record of 73-50, 0-2 in State Finals
Brunswick - 52% Win Pct. with a record of 59-53, 0-1 in State Finals
Northampton - 36% Win Pct. with a record of 40-69, 0-1 in State Finals
Eastern Montgomery - 23% Win Pct. with a record of 26-84, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 1 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?
Northampton hasn't even wom a playoff game in the last 11 years. The last time I even remember them in the state championship was 1995

Again are you talking about the best program to not win the title because you hint at overall programs in the body of your message, but in your title you write the word "team." If you are talking about the best individual team for one given year which has not won a title since 2013, I vote for Chilhowie 2018 which was a team good enough to win it on most years but ran into Riverheads the second straight year. That was a very good chilhowie team

Again are you talking about the best program to not win the title because you hint at overall programs in the body of your message, but in your title you write the word "team." If you are talking about the best individual team for one given year which has not won a title since 2013, I vote forShou Chilhowie 2018 which was a team good enough to win it on most years but ran into Riverheads the second straight year. That was a very good chilhowie team
Should have termed it as program, not team.

Should have termed it as program, not team.
I see. Then easily, it's the team not on the two lists above which is Sussex Central. I have them at 81 and 39 according to Maxpreps which puts them at abut 67.5 % and they have had some close battles with Essex and those close battles eith Essex teams trumps Patrick Henry's 69 percent wins. As an overall 1A program who hasn't won a title since 2013, I think it's easily Sussex Central. Maxpreps is surely off a few games, but the win percentage for Sussex will be in the 67 to 68 percent area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT