ADVERTISEMENT

I would like an officials opinion on this one.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
By rule, it's allowed. Those are suggestions and there is nothing preventing the PA announcer by rule to get the crowd fired up. But, the PA announcer isn't supposed to do this once the opposing team breaks the huddle and through the snap count. An official could flag the home team if the PA announcer or even loud artificial noise makers (music piped through or train horns) are used from the time the opponent breaks the huddle until the time the ball is snapped. Other noise makers like air horns are never flagged and they are fine. Basically, about any noise or any loud commenting by the PA announcer is allowed, but the exception is once the team breaks the huddle until the time the ball is snapped.

There is nothing in the Rule Book about this at all. The VHSL handbook addresses it here, but remember it's VHSL policy, not NFHS rules.

54-18-1 Bands-Participating schools' bands/pep bands are not allowed to play during
live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL
Sportsmanship Violation under Section 30 (Penalties/Fines) and may be defi ned as excessive
unsportsmanlike conduct ($300 fi ne).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the offense
breaking the huddle or for no huddle off enses when the off ense begins getting into a
formation.

54-19-1 Artifi cially and/or Amplifi ed Noisemakers-The use of artifi cially and/or amplifi
ed noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns,
amplifi ed guitar note or riff ) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event.
Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive
Unsportsmanlike Conduct - $300 Fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball
being handled by the snapper.

There is actually no yardage penalty prescribed and I'm not in the habit of enforcing VHSL policy of $300 fines..

I've sent word to PA guys to stop it and they do. If there was a case where they didn't stop, I'd hold up the game until I got in touch with game management and had them stop it.

If there is something going on that a coach or referee believes is causing a problem with noise from the PA or artificial noisemakers, it has to be handled through an AD or whoever is in charge of the event.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
By rule, it's allowed. Those are suggestions and there is nothing preventing the PA announcer by rule to get the crowd fired up. But, the PA announcer isn't supposed to do this once the opposing team breaks the huddle and through the snap count. An official could flag the home team if the PA announcer or even loud artificial noise makers (music piped through or train horns) are used from the time the opponent breaks the huddle until the time the ball is snapped. Other noise makers like air horns are never flagged and they are fine. Basically, about any noise or any loud commenting by the PA announcer is allowed, but the exception is once the team breaks the huddle until the time the ball is snapped.
White Hat is correct. However, the NFHS did include in their annual Points of Emphasis a few years that PA announcers are not radio analysts or cheerleaders. They're PA announcers, period. But like most POEs, it's largely ignored since they usually fail to add such items to any annual publication.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT