ADVERTISEMENT

I would like to be able to give you a Riverheads/Lunenburg final, but.............

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I did not attend and was watching the Gamechanger stream of the game, when it abruptly stopped updating. They had played for well over three hours, Riverheads was leading 19-10 in the bottom of the 7th, Lunenburg had the bases loaded with two outs, and there was a 3-1 count on the batter.

So we can certainly assume that RHS won and captured the Region B title unless Central pulled one of baseball's all-time greatest comebacks, but hopefully someone who was there can tell us what the final was, if there was something like an injury that stopped play in those final few minutes, or maybe these streams only have X amount of time and then shut off? Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Anyway, this game from what I could tell had a little bit of everything as that football-sounding score indicates. But ironically, as much of a slugfest as it was, it apparently was decided (I assume) on a gem of a pitching performance by RHS' Aidan Miller. The shortstop, who is normally known for his defensive prowess and his speed on the base paths, came on late in the fourth inning as the Big Red's fourth pitcher of the night. The visitors had led the entire way, but to the Chargers' credit, the home team kept "charging" back and had just cut a comfortable 12-5 lead down to 12-9.

Miller worked his way out of that inning with no further damage, set the Chargers down in order in the fifth, and pitched another shutout inning in the 6th. Meanwhile the Gladiator bats got hot again and built the lead back up to 19-9, which is where things stood as we began the home half of the 7th. It seems obvious from the above details that Lunenburg was not prepared to go quietly, but until we all learn more, we won't know just HOW quietly they went.

Anyway, to hit the highlights as I perceived them from my computer chair, Hunter Lee had a heck of a game at the plate for the Gladiators. It appeared that he knocked in the first two RBI's of the night to give RHS the lead for good in the first, on his way to a five-hit game. He capped off his career performance with a triple to open the 7th that started a final four-run explosion for the Big Red.

Speaking of explosions, the middle three innings must have taken two of the three hours to play because the teams combined for an astonishing 18 runs in those three frames. The Gladiators more than doubled the home team at the plate, outhitting them 24-10 by the time the stream stopped. But I get the idea that play must have been ragged at times because the teams combined for 8 errors and I also picked up on more than one run that had to have been scored by a wild pitch or passed ball.

So all things considered, it was a wild and woolly affair down in Victoria this evening and unless something REALLY strange happened, the Big Red will be back home Tuesday to entertain the Region A winner in the state semis. I do hope we can get some eyewitness testimony to explain those missing final few minutes of the game and cover anything I may have left out.

Gunz:

Actually I wondered at the 6 1/2 inning mark if they might call the game at that point because Riverheads did have a 10 point cushion at 19-9. But I ruled out that idea once they did send Lunenburg up to the plate in the bottom of the 7th. Odd that they would call it that late in the game as opposed to just playing it out.

Gunz:

Actually I wondered at the 6 1/2 inning mark if they might call the game at that point because Riverheads did have a 10 point cushion at 19-9. But I ruled out that idea once they did send Lunenburg up to the plate in the bottom of the 7th. Odd that they would call it that late in the game as opposed to just playing it out.

Not called because of score from what I read. Something caused a very lengthy delay (maybe it said lightning???). So it was halted with the situation you described. That post is gone off of Twitter now. I think it said something about a 3 hr delay

When it resumed, flyout to end it.

Wow! How crazy is that? Wonder how many people, especially ones from Riverheads, stayed around to wait for the ending?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT